Tristen Newton is our point guard | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton is our point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He was 5th in assists in the Big East this season with 4.6 APG . His assist to TO ratio was a very even 2-1.

Last year, RJ Cole was 6th in the BE with 4.1 APG. His assist to TO ratio was 2.16.

Two years ago Cole was 4th in the BE at 4.4 APG and a very nice 2.4 assist to TO ratio.

Just for comparison, in AJ Price's senior year (junior?), his last year. He averaged 4.7 APG and a 1.80 A/TO ratio

So please enough with the nonsense.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He was 5th in assists in the Big East this season with 4.6 APG . His assist to TO ratio was a very even 2-1.

Last year, RJ Cole was 6th in the BE with 4.1 APG. His assist to TO ratio was 2.16.

Two years ago Cole was 4th in the BE at 4.4 APG and a very nice 2.4 assist to TO ratio.

Just for comparison, in AJ Price's senior year he averaged 4.7 APG and a 1.80 A/TO ratio

Yes!

Don't even argue about whether it's "nonsense."

Just root for this young man.
He is here to do a job, and we are here to support him.

If you watched the UCLA-Arizona game Saturday night, then you know that his play on Friday night would have had him living at the line and he could be racking up gaudy numbers from the foul line in games that are whistled differently from those in the Big East.

UConn has had success with this in such NCAA Tournament settings.

Tristen Newton has had success with this in UConn's OOC play, and im the AAC before he came to UConn.

Alex can intelligently inbound the ball. AJax can dribble and pass. Hassan has speed and can handle the ball. Joey can move the ball and shoot.

Tristen is versatile and capable.

Go Tristen. You came here for this!

We are a team with many gifts and options.

Reaction Score
Castle isn't walkin' through the door any time soon. Tristen is the guy. Need Andre as a secondary ball handling option to break presses. When he gets himself into foul trouble (like Marq BE game).. It exposes one of our weaknesses because our other guards are not as skilled with the ball in their hands.. We'll be fine with Andre on the floor. It allows us to get into our offensive sets quicker and more efficiently.

Not a news flash.. DH knows this and Pitino/Taliek know this..

Reaction Score
we actually have two guys with 4+ assists and a 2+ a:to ration in newton and jackson -- i wonder how many teams can say the same thing?

i don't worry about our guys playing against the press -- i think our biggest turnover issues are in the halfcourt, and even then we have a lot of really, really good passers.

Reaction Score

Just for comparison, in AJ Price's senior year (junior?), his last year. He averaged 4.7 APG and a 1.80 A/TO ratio

Great math here. The remainder of the season is going to hinge on Newton. Not that he needs to score 30, just play a solid overall game. PG and leadership wins the tournament

Reaction Score
we actually have two guys with 4+ assists and a 2+ a:to ration in newton and jackson -- i wonder how many teams can say the same thing?

i don't worry about our guys playing against the press -- i think our biggest turnover issues are in the halfcourt, and even then we have a lot of really, really good passers.
There's not many, Colgate with Tucker Richardson and Braeden Smith, Kentucky with Cason Wallace and Sahvir Wheeler, Virginia with Kihei Clark and Reece Beekman, and then UConn with Tristen Newton and Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
Great math here. The remainder of the season is going to hinge on Newton. Not that he needs to score 30, just play a solid overall game. PG and leadership wins the tournament
Yep. He doesn’t need to be a 17 PPG scorer like he was at ECU. If he averages like 8-10 points, 4-5 assists, under 3 TO, and shoots well from the FT line, we are golden

Reaction Score
I would love to Tristen to initiate 2-3 drives into the lane in the first few possessions of the game vs. Iona. You know there's gonna be contact. Would love to see if the Refs will truly call more contact fouls now that we'll be away from the "rough-n-tumble" Big East.

I'm not gonna expect it until I see it, but I'm hopeful. If it happens, and Newton can get to the line 6-8 times a game, we are in great shape.

Reaction Score
I'm really interested to see him with non-BE officiating. If you look at exclusively conference games, he averaged 6.1 FT attempts per game last year, and 4.0 this year.

I know the level of competition is different, but watching the games, it certainly feels like he deserves a few more whistles.

Reaction Score
Tristen is a very good PG for us. Like Cole, he gets criticism because as the PG, a lot of times he's the one who looks bad because the ball is in his hands. Teammates don't get open or run the set properly? Good chance the PG turns it over and most fans don't even notice the poorly set screens or no one coming to the ball to help vs. a trap.

That being said, his instinct to run to the corner vs pressure can be infuriating.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The hate this kis is getting is unreal.

He had 2 triple doubles this year!!

Can't wait for him to play well and shut up the haters.
It's really one very prominent hater on this board. I think most fans appreciate what they have.

Reaction Score
Yep. He doesn’t need to be a 17 PPG scorer like he was at ECU. If he averages like 8-10 points, 4-5 assists, under 3 TO, and shoots well from the FT line, we are golden
I’d prefer him to be over 10 points. I think we’ve only lost once when Tristan scored in double digits.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Great stats for your point.
Newton was pegged by DH to be the PG so it is true he is the UConn PG
UConn was known as the PG school so forgive some of us who remember those days and would like to see a true PG running the offense. There is more to the PG position than assists.
I don’t think anybody is saying that Newton is not a contributor to this team, he has had some big games for UConn this season.
But that doesn’t mean that he is a true PG - he isn’t. Many college basketball people have stated that UConn is missing the one element that has brought them success in the past- that killer PG.
Newton is the man this season and HD is the back-up, UConn goes forward with this combo into the NCAAs.
I am willing to bet if you asked Newton if he wanted to be a PG or a SG his answer would perhaps surprise some of you.
The word haters is thrown around this site so ridiculously. No harm in wanting something different. I wish UConn had KEA, AJ, Bazz, Kemba, TB, KO, JA, MW, KH or even Tate running the offense. Wanting something different/ better doesn’t mean you hate the one there now.

Reaction Score
I was really happy when we got him… and im not disappointed at all with his play…I think he is the key to our team… he can take over a game … especially when he’s attacking the rim..two triple doubles..that’s crazy

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Yeah, Newton is good for this team. He’s even better when the games are late afternoon/at night

Reaction Score
I expect him to get a much better whistle than he got in the Big East, and for a guy who makes a living at the free throw line, that makes a huge difference.

On a team level, Iona is going to have a hard time pressing aggressively when we're in the bonus at the 8:00 mark and have 3 guys in foul trouble.

Reaction Score

Thank you. The "UConn doesn't have a PG" narrative is exhausting. Is he perfect? No. But he's what we have right now and he's absolutely our point guard.

Reaction Score
I am willing to bet if you asked Newton if he wanted to be a PG or a SG his answer would perhaps surprise some of you.
The word haters is thrown around this site so ridiculously. No harm in wanting something different. I wish UConn had KEA, AJ, Bazz, Kemba, TB, KO, JA, MW, KH or even Tate running the offense. Wanting something different/ better doesn’t mean you hate the one there now.
We don't have to guess what his answer would be. Newton has basically said he came here because Hurley wanted him to be PG and other top schools weren't offering him that role: "'Coach Hurley is a great coach...” Newton said. 'His vision for me is exactly what I need and I feel like his role for me is exactly what I want.'"

I feel like exclusively listing players who had NBA careers/aspirations isn't really fair to the guys we have, which is the issue a lot of people probably have. Every player you listed has an argument to be a top 50 UConn player of all time, and a lot of them are a lot closer to 1 than 50. It's the same as using Calhoun as a measuring stick for Hurley.

Reaction Score
"I would love if we had some of the best college point guards in history on our team". Ummmm duh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom