Tristen Newton is now a Point God | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton is now a Point God

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If memory serves, a poster's upset response and lashing out was amusing to some, and really the sole reason it escalated.
Consider me part of the "some". Was that wrong?

Reaction Score
Can we as fans NIL Newton to the moon next year so he makes as much here as playing in Europe? That would be an incredible back court. I’m in if it’s legal to do something like that. It worked for Miami- could certainly help us next year!

Reaction Score
Alleyne and Newton have a 5th Covid year, correct? Are they returning?
it seems like most national writers are penciling him in
links?

Newton and Castle would fit perfectly together in the backcourt. if hurley promised Castle he'd be the de facto PG that's fine. Newton can play just as well off-ball and focus on scoring like he did at ECSU and in the Chip game. with their size they can also defend either G spot.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can we as fans NIL Newton to the moon next year so he makes as much here as playing in Europe? That would be an incredible back court. I’m in if it’s legal to do something like that. It worked for Miami- could certainly help us next year!

Yes. 90% of the money goes to players.

Reaction Score
I saw something really bad when I was "sick" yesterday.... I was watching every possible video on YouTube and I can't remember if it was the ESPN guys or Field of 68, but they were talking about UConn's point guard situation and how "UConn made it work" without a classic point guard. They talked about Newton being a scorer previously. What pissed me off was one guy mentioned being at UConn practice before the season and saying something about the point guards with Alleyne, Newton and Diarra not going to work and the coaches nodding and saying, "You may be right." or something like that. If our coaches heard that, I hope they never let that guy anywhere near practice or give him any material again. Some things don't need to be repeated publicly, just because you heard them....It doesn't make them insiders, it makes them weasles.

Reaction Score
I saw something really bad when I was "sick" yesterday.... I was watching every possible video on YouTube and I can't remember if it was the ESPN guys or Field of 68, but they were talking about UConn's point guard situation and how "UConn made it work" without a classic point guard. They talked about Newton being a scorer previously. What pissed me off was one guy mentioned being at UConn practice before the season and saying something about the point guards with Alleyne, Newton and Diarra not going to work and the coaches nodding and saying, "You may be right." or something like that. If our coaches heard that, I hope they never let that guy anywhere near practice or give him any material again. Some things don't need to be repeated publicly, just because you heard them....It doesn't make them insiders, it makes them weasles.
Was our good friend Goodman.. A legend in his own mind..

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Holy crap Taliek was maligned on here. All he did was take care of the ball & get it to right spots on floor so UCONN could win. I loved Taliek Brown
Newton got nothing but pure love compared to Taliek. This place made demo square’s post in this thread sound complimentary after several of Taliek’s games. There was one game in particular that was really bad. It was the first game after Taliek went to a funeral for his best friend who died from a shooting.

Additionally he was suffering from turf toe but gutted it out because we really didn’t have a good alternative option. Mattered not to many fans who came to this forum after that game. I believe it was a loss to St. John.

The only two individuals who got more grief in this forum were KO and Jerome Dyson.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Newton got nothing but pure love compared to Taliek. This place made demo square’s post in this thread sound complimentary after several of Taliek’s games. There was one game in particular that was really bad. It was the first game after Taliek went to a funeral for his best friend who died from a shooting.

Additionally he was suffering from turf toe but gutted it out because we really didn’t have a good alternative option. Mattered not to many fans who came to this forum after that game. I believe it was a loss to St. John.

The only two individuals who got more grief in this forum were KO and Jerome Dyson.
2010 Dyson had to be the worst year for a UConn star I can think of.

Sucks because if he didn’t get hurt in 2009 he probably rides off into the sunset as a draft pick.

Reaction Score
From what I parsed before the season, the coaches themselves were unsure. Even more than what was said was what was unsaid when praise was placed elsewhere. Dauster at media day and before was definitely reflecting some trepidation from the staff. Newton's first triple double was a huge moment, not just for him. It was a collective sigh of relief. The Oregon game, too. Erased a lot of questions and doubts. (I've been in on him since the day he put his name in the transfer portal, check the receipts!)

Some of these guys that are transfers aren't necessarily on the same page as far as practice intensity, culture, philosophy, etc to start the season. Hurley has talked about how In normal recruiting that's usually something that gets hashed out with a lot more vetting, but that transfers are like speed dating. I don't think Newton is necessarily wired like a typical Hurley recruit. I give credit to the staff for obviously making it work, and also IMO a lot of credit to Jackson's leadership getting and keeping everyone on the team on the same page. And Newton himself, obviously. Seems like he was playing with a pretty big chip on his shoulder by the end there.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
2010 Dyson had to be the worst year for a UConn star I can think of.

Sucks because if he didn’t get hurt in 2009 he probably rides off into the sunset as a draft pick.
He was a hero in this forum until after the first third of the 2010 season. He epitomized the blue collar player JC valued.

The game where he knocked the tooth out on the court floor, took a few minutes to get the bleeding stopped, and was back out in minutes playing as aggressively as before was legendary.

It all went south when sophomore Kemba did not have the leap we hoped for from his freshman year and Jerome was moved to the lead guard while Kemba was benched after one third of the season had passed.

It was not his forte. We rationalized he was a senior and ignored he lacked pg skills as our rationale for our vitriol.

This forum nailed Dyson ignoring how he was nationally recognized for his play at shooting guard and how, almost to a person, we were talking him up here before he was pushed into the pg position.

People were encouraged to follow him and report his off court failings because it’s what we do best. When someone is perceived to make our lives miserable we want to hurt them.

There was no logic that could stop the haters. Mattered not that he was a senior and his behavior was no different than the three years we loved him. Mattered not that people who were expressing anger to that off court behavior would in the same thread brag about how they did much worse while at school.

But the most egregious thing was how the overwhelming number of posters created the narrative that Dyson having never won a postseason game was proof he was a lousy player. This made a lot of people happy. It was brutal. Not because people did it. But because we thought nothing wrong of it. Worse we were proud of it.

Reaction Score
He was a hero in this forum until after the first third of the 2010 season. He epitomized the blue collar player JC valued.

The game where he knocked the tooth out on the court floor, took a few minutes to get the bleeding stopped, and was back out in minutes playing as aggressively as before was legendary.

It all went south when sophomore Kemba did not have the leap we hoped for from his freshman year and Jerome was moved to the lead guard while Kemba was benched after one third of the season had passed.

It was not his forte. We rationalized he was a senior and ignored he lacked pg skills as our rationale for our vitriol.

This forum nailed Dyson ignoring how he was nationally recognized for his play at shooting guard and how, almost to a person, we were talking him up here before he was pushed into the pg position.

People were encouraged to follow him and report his off court failings because it’s what we do best. When someone is perceived to make our lives miserable we want to hurt them.

There was no logic that could stop the haters. Mattered not that he was a senior and his behavior was no different than the three years we loved him. Mattered not that people who were expressing anger to that off court behavior would in the same thread brag about how they did much worse while at school.

But the most egregious thing was how the overwhelming number of posters created the narrative that Dyson having never won a postseason game was proof he was a lousy player. This made a lot of people happy. It was brutal. Not because people did it. But because we thought nothing wrong of it. Worse we were proud of it.
Long before my time on the Yard.. But Dyson was a baller

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Holy crap Taliek was maligned on here. All he did was take care of the ball & get it to right spots on floor so UCONN could win. I loved Taliek Brown
I loved him too. He was however the subject of quite a bit of criticism. Defending him on message boards was nearly a full time job.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I loved him too. He was however the subject of quite a bit of criticism. Defending him on message boards was nearly a full time job.

Taliek got a ton of criticism for over penetrating and not knowing what to do with the ball when he got deep in the paint. Throw in him not being a good FT shooter and there was plenty of fodder. He was always a tough as nails on ball defender.

It really didn't seem like it was until his senior year where he figured out how to be an effective PG. He was forced to play way too much as a freshman. Yes, he was a Parada AA but he was no where near ready to start as a frosh and play 28 mpg. Even his sophomore he didn't have a ton of help. Ben was a frosh but he was still finding his own way in to the lineup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Taliek got a ton of criticism for over penetrating and not knowing what to do with the ball when he got deep in the paint. Throw in him not being a good FT shooter and there was plenty of fodder. He was always a tough as nails on ball defender.
Taliek was a worse shooter than Andre. He went 2 for 22 from 3 as an upperclassman.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

It really didn't seem like it was until his senior year where he figured out how to be an effective PG. He was forced to play way too much as a freshman. Yes, he was a Parada AA but he was no where near ready to start as a frosh and play 28 mpg. Even his sophomore he didn't have a ton of help. Ben was a frosh but he was still finding his own way in to the lineup.

Taliek was a worse shooter than Andre. He went 2 for 22 from 3 as an upperclassman.
These are measured critiques of Taliek and not what I was referencing. Picture Hurley's loss of control before getting his technicals and the way it was expressed. That was a similar manner to the way most posters in this forum expressed themselves over Taliek's play.

It was a personal guttural out of control hatred towards an individual. There was an unbalanced need to exclude information in order to place responsibility for a loss on one individual as opposed to the rational evaluation of Chin's review.

There is not a poster defending the behavior of Hurley before he realized how wrong it was and made a conscious decision to change it. And yet we continuously overlook our own behavior in this forum. I'm not for parenting or censuring. Most of us are grownups. But we are all too unconscious of our own flaws and not enough is done for self correction.

Instead of crow eating or ungracious apologizing that we all to often observe here when things are going well it would be a welcome observation if people recognized they are acting like emotional juveniles when making someone a scape goat. And better yet begin to point it out to others instead of joining the mob in virtual character assassination.

Reaction Score

Agree with a bunch of this - but Kemba was never benched. Kemba started every game as a Sophomore.

The issue with Dyson is not that he was asked to play point guard. Kemba was our point guard that entire season. The issue is that the top players from 2009 had left, leaving an opening for someone to take over as "that guy." Dyson clearly felt that it was going to be his team, and the dynamic between him and Kemba was not a great one. It was a difficult for season for him - and his shooting percentages, particularly late in the season, display this.

With all that being said, Dyson provided so much value during his three earlier seasons - and he suffered a very difficult injury the season prior. He still goes down as a great Husky and should be remembered for all the great things he did during his time in Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom