Tristen Newton drafted 49th by Indiana Pacers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton drafted 49th by Indiana Pacers

Reaction Score
I don't get it.
Purdue eliminated Tennessee in the NCAA tournament Elite 8 (and they have never made the Final Four). A lot of Tennessee fans are Memphis Grizzlies fans. The Grizzlies drafted Purdue's Zach Edey. Purdue fans delighted in watching their best player, who crushed those fans hearts, be forced to be adopted and celebrated by the Tennessee/Memphis fans. Then their Indiana NBA team, the Pacers, drafted UConn's Tristen Newton and their roles were suddenly reversed one day later.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Purdue eliminated Tennessee in the NCAA tournament Elite 8 (and they have never made the Final Four). A lot of Tennessee fans are Memphis Grizzlies fans. The Grizzlies drafted Purdue's Zach Edey. Purdue fans delighted in watching their best player, who crushed those fans hearts, be forced to be adopted and celebrated by the Tennessee/Memphis fans. Then their Indiana NBA team, the Pacers, drafted UConn's Tristen Newton and their roles were suddenly reversed one day later.

I Understand Episode 5 GIF by PBS

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not really sure either, but I'm also not following everyone's reactions closely.

I would have assumed that Grizzlies fans are upset about Edey, since I think most people didn't think Edey was worth a top 10 pick. So, if that's the case, Purdue fans are... enjoying watching Grizzlies fans be upset about Edey being picked 10th? That's kind of weird.

But maybe my assumptions are wrong.
I think Edey is going to surprise a lot of doubters

Reaction Score
Any opinions on why Knicks took Kolek over Newton? Newton in addition to his offensive skills and being 6'4'' vs 6'1" for Kolek, is a great rebounder. Knicks blew it again IMO.
Probably #1 is shooting, Kolek at 39% from 3 last 2yrs vs Newton dipped to 32% this past year - typically a backup PG needs to be more about creating offense & making shots.
Kolek also about an assist higher last yr and put up similar 7.5+ assists last 2yrs.

Arguments for Newton would be they already have a small lefty guard and Newton would be better defensively, stronger and emerging rebounding skills.

Reaction Score
I think Edey is going to surprise a lot of doubters
There is was a hangover from Edey's first two years when he was very limited offensively and often employed a just bat the ball in the air rebounding strategy. Edey really improved from soph to junior year (a more dramatic version of Sanogo frosh-to-soph) but some people still have the lingering impression of the player Edey was initially.

Bottom line he got drafted in the lottery and at #9, so it is now a mixed bag of prove he was worthy of the higher pick vs surprise doubters who thought he was late first round. Bottom line that kind of consensus later first round assessment was proven wrong.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
There is was a hangover from Edey's first two years when he was very limited offensively and often employed a just bat the ball in the air rebounding strategy. Edey really improved from soph to junior year (a more dramatic version of Sanogo frosh-to-soph) but some people still have the lingering impression of the player Edey was initially.

Bottom line he got drafted in the lottery and at #9, so it is now a mixed bag of prove he was worthy of the higher pick vs surprise doubters who thought he was late first round. Bottom line that kind of consensus later first round assessment was proven wrong.
It was a weak draft. He's going to get absolutely played off the floor a ton. What made people skeptical are the sorts of things he can't really fix (lateral quickness). He'll be good for about 15 minutes a game, change of pace. In prior drafts that definitely doesn't get him into the lottery.

But...good for him. Dude worked hard and Memphis is a pretty good landing spot.

Reaction Score
Love the fit if he gets a chance, hope he makes the main roster immediately and gets a chance if there's injuries.

He should make the 15-man roster. Haliburton and TJ are the only point guards on the roster besides Newton.

Reaction Score
He can also play 2 Gaurd with his skillset.

For sure but Indy is DEEP with wings

Mathurin
Nembhard
Shepard
Nesmith

+ Isiah Wong (Miami guard) this is who Newton will likely have to beat out for a roster spot.

Reaction Score
For sure but Indy is DEEP with wings

Mathurin
Nembhard
Shepard
Nesmith

+ Isiah Wong (Miami guard) this is who Newton will likely have to beat out for a roster spot.
I wouldn’t bet against him that’s for sure. I’m rooting for him to succeed as much as any other player we’ve had drafted recently.

Reaction Score
It was a weak draft. He's going to get absolutely played off the floor a ton. What made people skeptical are the sorts of things he can't really fix (lateral quickness). He'll be good for about 15 minutes a game, change of pace. In prior drafts that definitely doesn't get him into the lottery.

But...good for him. Dude worked hard and Memphis is a pretty good landing spot.
Yeah, he probably would have been a late first-rounder in last year's draft and I agree that he'll be played off the floor at times. BUT I'd love to have him if I'm going up against Jokic or AD (likely smokes him but still). Also agree the 15 minutes is the most likely scenario, but I'd say that's also his floor - a nice luxury to have Edey as your Sampson Johnson coming off the bench. And in certain situations Edey can put up #s, just like in certain situations he'll get targeted on D.

I also think Edey's improvement over the past 2 years and relatively fewer years than most playing basketball offers the potential for continued improvement. I think his upside is a modern day Mark Eaton. Edey is already better offensively than Rudy Goebert though probably not the defensive chops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom