Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft

Reaction Score
Good luck Tristen!! He may be if I'm round 2 I'm gone? Who knows. Hope he comes back of course. What I do know is he was HUGE for us this year and when it mattered. We are forever grateful. Quiet confidence, that's Tristen. WIlling to do EVERYTHING in every stat for us to win.

I will miss him and especially Dre if they don't come back but I'm started to get giddy about the new kids, as we should be.

One thing about them coming back even as amazing as they are is the leadership element. If they don't Donovan and Alex will need to really step up leadership wise as we give the new kids the keys to our 5 time rootin tootin championship shootin non-excusin' national title wearing basketball capital capital of the world livin' UCONN -- HUSKIES!!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
WTH is going on this week? Alleyne , Andre , trmberlake and now newton? Damn. Gonna miss watching these guys. Cud care less bout Timberlake who sold for the paper. Loved this team. Now all I got left is my dvr recordings of the final 4 and natty! Lol. I think Tristen and Ajax will both be back. But who knows. Ahhh, the way of college hoops nowadays.
Tonight is the Miami replay. Some of the best college basketball was played in this tournament and we were fortunate to be rooting for that team.

Obviously we’ll all miss those that leave. That’s always the outcome when change follows something wonderful.

Couldn’t care less about Timberlake. But losing Joey, Adama, Jordan, Alleyne, and possibly Andre and Tristen is bittersweet.

Next season we could potentially have one of the youngest teams ever. Here’s to the future!

Reaction Score
At least we know where we stand.. TN/AJ were warriors this season and have earned the right to get feedback from the NBA guys.. In the meantime.. We've got to add some pieces to our returnees and the Fab Five.. Fab Five can't say there isn't PT available to them..

Championship teams deconstruct after the victory lap.... Move on.. And reconstruct for the next season with new pieces.. Its a sign of success..

Gotta act like we've been there before.

Reaction Score
For Dre & Newton, guys who haven’t tested the NBA waters yet. This is by far the most logical decision. Even if they don’t stay, they’ll have tons of guidance on what to work on as they prepare for the future.

If they get good feedback, they go & as fans we should be supportive
Mostly agree, but every year there’s around 40-45 guys who heard from someone that they might be first round. Once they declare 6/1, 10-15 guys have to deal with non guarantee territory and zero leverage.

Reaction Score
WTH is going on this week? Alleyne , Andre , trmberlake and now newton? Damn. Gonna miss watching these guys. Cud care less bout Timberlake who sold for the paper. Loved this team. Now all I got left is my dvr recordings of the final 4 and natty! Lol. I think Tristen and Ajax will both be back. But who knows. Ahhh, the way of college hoops nowadays.
Alleyne really impressed down the stretch and is the departure hardest to understand. He played much less minutes last season than at Virginia Tech but would have played more next season.

Reaction Score
Tonight is the Miami replay. Some of the best college basketball was played in this tournament and we were fortunate to be rooting for that team.

Obviously we’ll all miss those that leave. That’s always the outcome when change follows something wonderful.

Couldn’t care less about Timberlake. But losing Joey, Adama, Jordan, Alleyne, and possibly Andre and Tristen is bittersweet.

Next season we could potentially have one of the youngest teams ever. Here’s to the future!
I know - obviously I’m happy for the guys- just gonna Miss watching them play. You know what happens when guys leave , you gonna barely hear from them anymore. You know how it goes. I thought we were going to at least get Ajax Tristen and Alleyne back. That was the one of the cool things about winning the title- figured most of the squad was gonna be back next year given their love for UConn and minimal chance of hitting big in the draft. We’ll see what happens. Things might look a lot different by the end of May or a bit of the same. Deff bittersweet.

Reaction Score
I agree. This makes very little sense, assuming the staff knew what was coming, other than the NT portal bust
It makes sense if the staff and Alleyne knew that it was likely Newton and Jackson would return, and especially if Alleyne also thought Timberlake was committing.

Reaction Score
Mostly agree, but every year there’s around 40-45 guys who heard from someone that they might be first round. Once they declare 6/1, 10-15 guys have to deal with non guarantee territory and zero leverage.
NBA two-ways arent bad deals. Especially with new rules. There are Undrafted Free Agents who get two-way deals.

Reaction Score
I really hate the declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent. I wish it was all or nothing. It puts the school in a tough spot trying to fill roster spots with current players' statuses in limbo. It's also bad for other players if a team goes and fills roster spots assuming the players will go, and then they lose their scholarships when those players withdraw from the draft.

Reaction Score
I’m still holding on to his comment to Alleyne about cooking him now that he’s at SJU

But you can’t blame anyone for testing the waters after a tournament like we had

I just hope (and expect) the back court to stick around. We can expect Hurley to recruit and coach guards. It’s the back court we want to stay solid.

Reaction Score
NBA two-ways arent bad deals. Especially with new rules. There are Undrafted Free Agents who get two-way deals.
True, some get good deals, some poor deals and others effectively no guaranteed deals.

Reaction Score
Waiting for walk-ons to declare. Hawk is top shelf NBA material. AJ will be awesome in the NBA …with some more shooting development. Adama I’m not so sure due to his size. I think he could end up a great Euro 5. The rest are NBA dreaming, which I guess is what kids are supposed to do. I hope each gets the best outcome possible.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I really doubt this is the last of Jackson and Newton. Jackson would probably rather play one more year here before being a second round pick, and Newton isn’t getting drafted. They’re doing the right thing for themselves getting as much NBA attention as possible before they return to lead next years team, and work on their flaws to get drafted/higher. It’s just gonna be a long, nerve wracking month.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Also, just wanna point out that the staff has obviously known what they were gonna do for awhile now. The fact they haven’t reached out to any replacements probably gives us a hint to which way they’re leaning.

Reaction Score
While there may be some master plan to all this, I think the truth is nobody knows for sure what will happen. Some guys blow up at NBA team tryouts and NBA Combine and other guys go in the other direction. Jackson in particular could have a wide range of outcomes. Everybody likes to be associated with a winner/champion and that culture in sports. So that makes it more difficult to make decisions in what otherwise might be easier decisions.

Reaction Score
I'm counting on Newton and Jackson to return simply because I want them and expect them back.

See you all in about a month or so. Lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I really hate the declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent. I wish it was all or nothing. It puts the school in a tough spot trying to fill roster spots with current players' statuses in limbo. It's also bad for other players if a team goes and fills roster spots assuming the players will go, and then they lose their scholarships when those players withdraw from the draft.
Agree, but there is no one we could pick up who would be better than Newton or Jackson. Their roster spots are safe.

pj

Reaction Score
I disagree. He has NBA range on his shot and can also take the ball to the rim and score, and has decent size. Tristen has been underrated his entire basketball life and has always proved the doubters wrong.

I agree. If Kevin Ollie could make it in the NBA, Tristen who's a much better scorer can.

He steadily improved his game all year, peaking in the championship game, so he's still on the steep part of his learning curve. Now that he's had a year learning how to fit in with strong teammates, he's ready for an eye-opening year at UConn and then the NBA. Getting the NBA feedback now and having a year to fix and rebut criticisms under Hurley's tutelage will help his standings immensely. It proves coachability and ability to keep improving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom