Trip to Spain | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trip to Spain

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'll be there the first week of July for a few days. When I visit Barcelona I use the tripadvisor app to see what restaurants have openings - you'll get into some of the best restaurants in the city - book for 8:30pm as the 9:00pm and later seating fills up. Great meals to be had - we dined at Montiel (great food) and Arcano - (really romantic) last time I was there. Get tickets ahead of time for the Familia and the Picasso Museum (iirc Parc Guell as well). The two older parts of the City (El Raval and Gothic are great to stroll around and combine with the Picasso Musee. Go to see La Pedrera in the late afternoon - the light is unbelievable (visit the little onsite museum - it is a big part of Dan Browns latest book). Go to Parc Guell early and stroll around. If you have a chance visit the Miro museum, its odd but in a beautiful setting up on the Mont. Quick day jaunt to Monsarrat or the Costa Brava as mentioned above. Barceloneta has narrow winding streets as well (the old fishing village).

If you are looking for great hotels I would recommend the Alma in L'Example and the DO at the Placa Reial.

Second on the point above by Jay-bone about pickpockets especially around La Ramblas.

Seville is an entirely different experience and plan on it to be much warmer. As previous posters have pointed out a side trip to Cordoba and some of the other southern cities might be fun.

Reaction Score
Ah, Spain! We went to Spain for honeymoon 24 years ago, one week Madrid area, then one week Seville and White villages. Liked best the southern area although Madrid does have Prado museum which is awesome. In the south, Cadiz and Jerez and going sherry tasting were lots of fun. Stayed at a few places in "Charming Small Hotels in Spain" and they were great. Did get sick once when I took a sip from my Coke can only to realize it was the store owner's can where we were shopping, and a day later I had intestinal issues.

I could enjoy traveling anywhere, really, but some parts of Spain really were pretty. Never found a good place to do the tapas thing. We stopped in the white villages in some small town, they were setting up for a festival the next day, it was hot and we were sitting in the shade at a little cafe having a cold drink and watching the activity, it was heavenly!

If I could, I would swap homes with someone abroad to spend a few months (once I retire) and really experience living in another place without incessantly going every few days to another place- just plunk myself down and tune my heartbeat to the local pulse of life.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I lived in Madrid for 6 months fwiw and traveled there a bit on various other trips to Spain - San Sebastian and Zarauz / Bilbao, Cordoba, Cadiz, Barcelona, Seville...never made it to Granada unfortunately.

8 days is a tight time frame to get to Seville and back - you send way too much of your time in Spain traveling. I'd second the idea of renting a car.
Spend a couple days in Barcelona then do a nice loop - maybe do Barcelona - Zaragoza - Valencia - Barcelona.
I also visited Madrid a few times stationed in Europe. Madrid is a gorgeous city. Even if your not into art, Museo DePrado is a must see. I almost fell in love their. Jet black hair with sharp blue eyes. Worked in a clothing/gift store. The memories, oh the memories. I recall the city being gorgeous but the subway system was in shambles. Young kids hanging out in gangs trying to shake your hand and shake you down. Grabbing your wrist to remove your watch.

Reaction Score
The Gold coast of Spain is Not like Florida.

It's maybe worse?

Nice beaches, but no doubt it is filled with lager louts.

Nothing like laying on a beach at 10 am next to a guy sunburnt to a crisp as he orders a kidney pie from a waiter.

Reaction Score
There are summer festivals that you should check out. I think the one in Alicante is during the solstice which is after your trip but if you find one in your area it would be worth finding.

In the town I stayed in for 3 months, Mojacar, they had a Moors v. Christians festival that went on for a week. They reenacted battles and cultural events. Most people loved dressing up as Moors. My question to them went over like a lead balloon: How about the Jews?

Reaction Score
I can't believe how narrow the streets are where they have the running of the bulls. People have to be nuts.

My nightmare experience was driving my car in those narrow Pamplona streets. 2 mph. People had absolutely no regard for not only walking or running in front of your car as you're moving, but bumping into it. These were not even pedestrian arcades. I could see one road narrowing as I drove down, and I couldn't back up (forget about trying a 3 point turn). And then, to top it off, it wasn't even one way!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In the town I stayed in for 3 months, Mojacar, they had a Moors v. Christians festival that went on for a week. They reenacted battles and cultural events. Most people loved dressing up as Moors. My question to them went over like a lead balloon: How about the Jews?

The Inquisition was exceptionally thorough. Spanish cities have Old Jewish Quarters but no old Jews. My wife and I upped the old Jewish population by 100% in all of those places.

Reaction Score
*Moops

Reaction Score
Oldest in Spain. You'll find European schools with a couple centuries on them. Like Bologna.
My dad went to the University of Bologna, it's the oldest University in the world.

Reaction Score
But the University of Mortadella is better.
gif_temp001.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom