Trio of Auburn players not returning | The Boneyard

Trio of Auburn players not returning

Reaction Score
Hoping Deon is potentially in the mix up in Storrs, CT...

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
How many scholarships do we have available

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How many scholarships do we have available

I think we have one as of right now. Spring usually leads to some attrition with usually one or two more leaving.

Reaction Score
Does that assume all walk-on's granted a scholarship will retain their scholarships? Often coaches will give the down on the depth chart walk-on that that works his tail off on the scout team an open scholarship with the understanding that it's for this year but may not be renewed or will be on an "as available" basis.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Does that assume all walk-on's granted a scholarship will retain their scholarships? Often coaches will give the down on the depth chart walk-on that that works his tail off on the scout team an open scholarship with the understanding that it's for this year but may not be renewed or will be on an "as available" basis.

We haven't adjusted for the possibility that some walk-ons will not be renewed. Too early to say how this staff will approach that situation. Maybe they don't know themselves and would like to see how spring practice goes before making any major decisions.

Reaction Score
Remember guys, there'll be even more attrition (more than likely) after the Spring semester...

Reaction Score
Not sure how to feel about this thread. Interest in a player who only "appeared" in 6 games in 3 years? Is our line so bad that could be an upgrade? (Don't answer that)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not sure how to feel about this thread. Interest in a player who only "appeared" in 6 games in 3 years? Is our line so bad that could be an upgrade? (Don't answer that)

Your concerns are warranted....but it is Auburn, not Maryland or Coastal Carolina we are talking about. Trust the coaches on this one to make the right call.

Reaction Score

I'm sure he's very talented. We have to keep in mind too, that he was competing with 4 and 5 star players. Auburn's roster is full of highly rated high school players.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He was a highly rated three/four star out of Mississippi who had a number of good offers from the SEC including Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and many others.

Reaction Score
realistically speaking... and I'm sure our kids are really good kids, but our OL was trash... turn style city... we bring in a GS who may have only played in 6 games his entire career, but the guy knows the system and competed at the HIGHEST level of college football in the SEC (aka minor leagues to the NFL)... a no brainer if you ask me.. he's one and done and can help jumpstart this offense...

Reaction Score
Swen Nater was a seldom used backup center at UCLA that ended up with a decade long career in the NBA averaging 12 ppg and 11 rpg. Was a backup to some string bean named Bill Walton. Sometimes pretty good players sit behind very good players.

Reaction Score

Okay I won't give you the obvious answer. Instead I'll answer with a question of my own.

Which one of our O-lineman the past 3 years would have "appeared" in 6 or more games for Auburn?

I'll wait.

Reaction Score
There are literally thousands of players who buy the hype and never see the field.

They could be 3 year starters at UConn but because the P5 schools come calling (for players the coaches know they will never see the field) they think they can really play at a P5 level.

But they can't.

Call them walk ons with a scholarship.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There are literally thousands of players who buy the hype and never see the field.

They could be 3 year starters at UConn but because the P5 schools come calling (for players the coaches know they will never see the field) they think they can really play at a P5 level.

But they can't.

So so so much talent rotting on the sidelines at the major programs. So so so many kids that were not even top 1000 in high school make their way to the NFL because they get the reps and development time at a lesser program. Its easy for me to say this as an adult without ever coming remotely close to having a scholarship opportunity, but I would choose the program with the best balance of coaching, academics and playing time and I would weight all three highly.

Reaction Score

But they can't.

With all the offers we are publicizing lately, I think we are finally moving towards changing that up in Storrs.. Edsall & Co. looks like they're past leaving no stone unturned. I'm sure we've attempted to go after the "big boys" in the past , but something's different this time around. It'll take a little success on the field this upcoming season to see the pay off though. You gotta show your formula of success on both sides of the ball in a game... Call me overly optimistic but I don't think we'll the 3 and out team we've been the past 6 years...

Reaction Score
I'm sure he's very talented. We have to keep in mind too, that he was competing with 4 and 5 star players. Auburn's roster is full of highly rated high school players.
But it is a scientific fact on the BY that stars don't matter.

Reaction Score
Swen Nater was a seldom used backup center at UCLA that ended up with a decade long career in the NBA averaging 12 ppg and 11 rpg. Was a backup to some string bean named Bill Walton. Sometimes pretty good players sit behind very good players.

Tom Brady backing up Drew Henson

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom