Trilly’s Postmortem on Flagg’s Recruitment. | The Boneyard

Trilly’s Postmortem on Flagg’s Recruitment.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Couple of interesting things here.

“The visit to Connecticut went about as well as it could’ve. In any other situation, with any other recruit, UConn would’ve sealed the deal with the attention to detail they put into this visit.”

Also confirms that Flagg canceled the KU visit because they were an adidas school.

“What intrigued us most about the message was the context of why the visit was canceled. Publicly, people can point to as many reasons as they want – it’s far from home, Kansas is dealing with scandal, not the right fit, etc. Behind the scenes, it’s a fairly simple equation. Duke and UConn are both Nike schools. Kansas is sponsored by adidas. We’ll let you do the math from there.”

Full article that goes over everything in the recruitment:

Reaction Score
Anybody who spent time to read Boneyard threads about Flagg should take the time to read the whole breakdown. It sounds like our NIL wasn’t an issue.

While there were reports that NIL was an issue, ultimately we don’t believe it was enough of a factor to sway the decision in any way. UConn was more than capable of holding their own in this space, per multiple sources.

Reaction Score
When his parents also attended the Duke visit, the handwriting was on the wall.

Reaction Score
I think that’s about the course most of us rationally knew it took. Went from a literal Duke lock to an actual competition, and they simply did enough to hold on.

I do like Trilly showing us some respect. To this point I’d gotten the impression he’s not exactly a UConn fan or thinks terribly highly of our program. Now I’m wondering if I misjudged him a touch.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
Blah, blah, blah, blah. The only thing this article makes me wonder is: what was Isola’s agenda. Of all the news we got that was the one that got most of us excited. Did he really need the attention. Was it to create clicks and the only agenda was to get his name into the mainstream. Did Scalabrine play him with mis-information. I don’t think the kid had anything to do with it. But it was top line news for two weeks and I guess some media folks used it get more airtime than they would have. 16 year old kids don’t think like that yet. He was along for the ride but I still maintain visiting while Duke football was in town regardless of his schedule was not cool. Hurley is a tactician and he knows way better than me how the long game is played so I found the insight on why he might recruit a player he knew he had no chance to get a worthwhile piece of information. But trust me I know his personality, he was biting his tongue the whole time talking about it today at that breakfast.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Were they not an adidas school before he scheduled it? Why then cancel it? I don't get it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Couple of interesting things here.

“The visit to Connecticut went about as well as it could’ve. In any other situation, with any other recruit, UConn would’ve sealed the deal with the attention to detail they put into this visit.”

Also confirms that Flagg canceled the KU visit because they were an adidas school.

“What intrigued us most about the message was the context of why the visit was canceled. Publicly, people can point to as many reasons as they want – it’s far from home, Kansas is dealing with scandal, not the right fit, etc. Behind the scenes, it’s a fairly simple equation. Duke and UConn are both Nike schools. Kansas is sponsored by adidas. We’ll let you do the math from there.”

Full article that goes over everything in the recruitment:

Is this suggesting that Nike had an ESPN like hand in guiding him to the ACC?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
WHO CARES?????????????????????????!!!!!!!
The kid went where he was destined to go.
TBH - I knew he was going to Dook all along, Dook is where he dreamed of going and knowing he is a 1 and done, where else was he heading? I don't believe UConn had a better than 20% chance and the staff did their best.
Scheyer is still an unproven commodity as a coach. My 10 yo grandson could recruit at Dook if he was named HC there tomorrow. It's not rocket science. They are one program that has done the least with the most in the past 25 years.
I say lets shut all these Flagg threads and concentrate what is UConn basketball

Reaction Score
When the mom wore a Laetner jersey at the visit, that was it for us.
I agree. No true-blue Husky fan can even stomach looking at Laettner, let alone wearing his jersey. Except for this video of course:

Reaction Score
Is this suggesting that Nike had an ESPN like hand in guiding him to the ACC?
Not specifically to the ACC - it likely was them saying if he was interested in a Nike deal when he reached the NBA, he should play for a Nike school (UConn or Duke) and not an Adidas school (Kansas).

Reaction Score
WHO CARES?????????????????????????!!!!!!!
The kid went where he was destined to go.
TBH - I knew he was going to Dook all along, Dook is where he dreamed of going and knowing he is a 1 and done, where else was he heading? I don't believe UConn had a better than 20% chance and the staff did their best.
Scheyer is still an unproven commodity as a coach. My 10 yo grandson could recruit at Dook if he was named HC there tomorrow. It's not rocket science. They are one program that has done the least with the most in the past 25 years.
I say lets shut all these Flagg threads and concentrate what is UConn basketball

The Duke he dreamed of doesn't exist. There is no Dick Vitale turning every game into a Duke promo. There is no Coach K. The ACC was Kenpom #7 conference in 2023.

Reaction Score
Ha. Sounds like the Lobster Mac N Cheese sealed the deal.

UConn only had Bacon Jalapeno Mac N Cheese.
False. I think it was the "Twerk and Jerk Chicken"

Sounds like Duke pulled a recruiting trick out of the bag of Rick Pitino circa Louisville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom