Treasure trove of private UConn emails about CR | The Boneyard

Treasure trove of private UConn emails about CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OLD NEWS. SORRY. THIS HAS BEEN COVERED:

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/i-apologize-if-this-old-news-but-time-stamped-01-04-pm.10346/

Nothing earth-shaking, but the gist seems to be that Herbst and Rubin were talking to the Presidents of the ACC when it was happening, and that the ADs were frozen out at all levels.

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/282123/responsive-documents.txt

(Someone with better search skills could probably find more up-to-date emails)

This was buried in the emails:

UConn Is New York Clty's Team
In 2010-11, UConn Men's Basketball was the Most Viewed East Conference Team In New York City
A combined 1.35 million households watched UConn basketball games ln the New York DMA
that were televised on ESPN or ESPN2. That number doubled the number of households
watching Syracuse games on ESPN or ESPN2 and was five tlmes more than the number of
households that watched Rutgers on ESPN or ESPN2.
The top two-rated Syracuse men's basketball games In the New York DMA in 2010-11 were In
fact games against UConn.
UConn's flve games In the BIG EAST tournament were watched by a combined 590,000
combined households In the New York DMA, while 385,000 watched Syracuse games - a
number which was inflated with one game against hometown St. John's. .
SNY (SportsNet New York) Recognizes The Popularity Of The UConn Brand
SportsNet New York (SNY) is the New York home of the New York Mets and the BIG EAST
Conference. Although they have relationships with Syracuse, Rutgers, Seton Hall and St. John's,
the relationship ls unique as, the network devotes over 300 programming hours a
year to both UConn men's basketball and football. number of program hours is almost
double the number of hours devoted to Rutgers programming and Syracuse receives only two-
third of that amount of hours.
Not only does SNY show more UConn games than those of any other school, they also present
live pre--game and post--game shows of UConn events, a broadcast of weekly football press 1
conferences, weekly rebroadcasts of football and men's basketball games, and condensed
versions of football replays. This programming is unlque to UConn and SNY when compared to
other BIG EAST schools.
UConn men's basketball games were watched by a combined 355,000 households on SNY during
the 2010-11 season over the course of 13 games. These 13 games were contests that were not
selected by ESPN or ESPN2. A total of 120,000 combined households In the New York DMA i
watched UConn basketball on SNY before January 1, 2011 -when overall Interest In college
basketball ls low.
In 2011-12, UConn will make 13 appearances on SNY, while Syracuse, Rutgers and St. John's will
each make fewer than 10.

Reaction Score
Rumrunner, when I tried to answer your question, the only other thing that turned up was a Boneyard post from last year. I edited above. This is all old news.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Rumrunner, when I tried to answer your question, the only other thing that turned up was a Boneyard post from last year. I edited above. This is all old news.
Right a lot of it has been reported in the media, especially the "this is done at the president level and direct all inquiries to me".

But it's good to see the "UConn is NYC's team" write up. I hope they did in fact forward it to ACC / B1G contacts (sounded like Susan wanted to approve who it get sent to).

Damn... makes me so mad!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There wasn't really much in that - the most telling thing was Herbst yanking on Pendergast's leash.

Reaction Score
It appears that this sort of clears Warde from missing the boat. It was all on her shoulders at that time.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Rachel Rubin is so involved in CR. Her background was in ethics, at the state commission, and as Rell's "ethics czar" until she ran afoul of Lisa Moody.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Rachel Rubin is so involved in CR. Her background was in ethics, at the state commission, and as Rell's "ethics czar" until she ran afoul of Lisa Moody.

Ethics in CR? You're kidding?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Forwarded Message From: Susan Herbst1 I Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:27:11 -0400 To: "Jacobs, Jeff" Subject: FW: Column on bball Hey , thanks. There is a lot of talk across the nation as you know, some real intentions, light signaling, contradictory rumors, and hypothetical conversation. Can't comment right now, but . I am in the conversation for sure, and will be certain UConn is on a good track for the future.

Is it? Is it, Susan?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that Burton is suggesting a full time CR replacement for RR. Possible someone who is more of an athletics insider.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think that Burton is suggesting a full time CR replacement for RR. Possible someone who is more of an athletics insider.
We need all the help we can get.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I think Burton needs to recruit the person who got Qatar the world cup...that person knows how to grease some skids.

Reaction Score
If you remember the time when Pitt and Syracuse were announced as joining the ACC, folks in these parts kept a lid on it. John Swofford and Co are pretty good at keeping things quiet when its necessary.

Heres hoping that UConn and the ACC are working together behind the scenes to get you in here.

Reaction Score
If you remember the time when Pitt and Syracuse were announced as joining the ACC, folks in these parts kept a lid on it. John Swofford and Co are pretty good at keeping things quiet when its necessary.

Heres hoping that UConn and the ACC are working together behind the scenes to get you in here.

Perhaps this is the very thing that sunk talk of Notre Dame and UConn joining. BC's AD let the cat out of the bag.

Reaction Score
I think Burton needs to recruit the person who got Qatar the world cup...that person knows how to grease some skids.

That had to be the biggest fleecing job in history. I bet a part of my weekly gas bill for my car is sitting in the pockets of several FIFA chieftains. If the US has lost to Australia for the 2022 Cup, that would have been OK. Australia has proven it can handle major sporting events. But, Qatar? First, what is FIFA going to do when fans and players start dropping dead from the heat? Second, what is Qatar, which has a population the size of 1.8 million, i.e. the size of West Virginia, going to do with 12 +40K soccer stadium after the Cup is over? Third, hosting a Cup in Qatar is like painting a big freaking bull’s eye for Al Qaeda.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There wasn't really much in that - the most telling thing was Herbst yanking on Pendergast's leash.

That guy was clueless.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That had to be the biggest fleecing job in history. I bet a part of my weekly gas bill for my car is sitting in the pockets of several FIFA chieftains. If the US has lost to Australia for the 2022 Cup, that would have been OK. Australia has proven it can handle major sporting events. But, Qatar? First, what is FIFA going to do when fans and players start dropping dead from the heat? Second, what is Qatar, which has a population the size of 1.8 million, i.e. the size of West Virginia, going to do with 12 +40K soccer stadium after the Cup is over? Third, hosting a Cup in Qatar is like painting a big freaking bull’s eye for Al Qaeda.

Yup, HUGEEE headscratcher. If you read the UK papers (I do - see my icon for reasons), there have been near daily threads about pulling the WorldCup over heat, migrant deaths (it is a terrible decision). The latest is decision is on hold until post Rio, hopefully they pull out.

Reaction Score
Yup, HUGEEE headscratcher. If you read the UK papers (I do - see my icon for reasons), there have been near daily threads about pulling the WorldCup over heat, migrant deaths (it is a terrible decision). The latest is decision is on hold until post Rio, hopefully they pull out.

Moving the Cup from Qatar would require that FFIA admit it made a mistake (and return a lot of money), which is very unlikely. The only way I can see it happen is if FIFA is forced to move the Cup to the winter due to the likelihood of player and fan fatalities caused by the heat in the summer. In turn, the major broadcasters and the European leagues, especially the Premiership, have a fit over the move and force FIFA to consider alternate locations (likely the US or Australia simply based on facility availability).

They did pull a Jonny Football by ‘reprimanding’ Joel Campbell of Costa Rica for the blatant flop against the US in qualifying last month.

Reaction Score
Is it? Is it, Susan?

Yes, UConn is on a good Track for the Future, however, the engineer (PP) almost derailed us, so the VP of the Railroad (Warde, Susan is the President) has the fireman (TJ) running the locomotive. I hope the CR Express, will catch up to the HuskyExpress...

I hope TJ will get the 'engineer' job...(if he gets the train on track -- WINS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom