OT: - Treadmills | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Treadmills

Reaction Score
Why does anyone buy an expensive treadmill instead of just running outside? Fairly avid runner, never understood that. Whatever gets you exercising is great. Just mever understood
Averse to bad weather?

Reaction Score
I used to run a lot. For many years I ran on the high school track. Which I think for you would be the same as a treadmill. Boring going round and round with just head phones. Glad I dd that now. Track had give the street doesn't. Talk to a lot of people my age wish that they had not run on the street because of hoops and knees. More than a few had to give it up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I bought a mid-level Precor more than 15 years ago and still use it several times a week. Had the platform replaced once under the original warranty and no other issues. Based on my research then, they appeared to be the closest to professional quality for home use.
Lol. So, I lied. I have a Pacemaster, not a Precor. I remembered that I narrowed it down to Precor and Pacemaster and I guess I forgot which one I bought until I got on it this morning and this thread came to mind.

Apparently Pacemaster is not in business anymore; but if you can find a used one I can attest that it is durable. Like others have mentioned, I focused more on that and less on bells and whistles. I did get the longer deck because I am 6'2" and have a long stride.

As for outside vs. inside, no question I'd rather be outside. But this is undeniably true:

Treadmills are better on your knees than running outside. It’s still harder on knees than other exercise, but better than running on sidewalks, road, and probably most tracks.

Worst outside surface is concrete sidewalks, as they are the most dense; asphalt (i.e., road) is much better; and obviously tracks and trails are even better. But a decent treadmill should be kinder to your knees (and other joints) than most outdoor surfaces.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol. So, I lied. I have a Pacemaster, not a Precor. I remembered that I narrowed it down to Precor and Pacemaster and I guess I forgot which one I bought until I got on it this morning and this thread came to mind.

Apparently Pacemaster is not in business anymore; but if you can find a used one I can attest that it is durable. Like others have mentioned, I focused more on that and less on bells and whistles. I did get the longer deck because I am 6'2" and have a long stride.

As for outside vs. inside, no question I'd rather be outside. But this is undeniably true:

Worst outside surface is concrete sidewalks, as they are the most dense; asphalt (i.e., road) is much matter; and obviously tracks and trails are even better. But a decent treadmill should be kinder to your knees (and other joints) than most outdoor surfaces.
I also have a Pacemaster. Don't use it much but they made a great product.

Reaction Score
Last winter my wife bought a Life Fitness T3. It was pretty expensive but she said she wanted to buy a really good one that could incline. The whole family uses it and so far so good, although we haven't had it that long so I can't tell you about its durability.

Maybe this site that reviews treadmills would help you.

I second on the Life Fitness treadmill. I have had a T5 for close to 20 years and have pounded out a lot of miles on it. The thing is a tank. I specifically got it for the Flexdeck, which has a lot more give and you dont get as much pressure and shock per stride because of the give of the Flexdeck. If you are older and prone to knee issues, I highly recommend. I used to be an avid street runner until I got older and my joints couldnt handle the pounding. This has really done the trick and allowed me to keep running.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why does anyone buy an expensive treadmill instead of just running outside? Fairly avid runner, never understood that. Whatever gets you exercising is great. Just mever understood

Weather, bugs, easier on your knees? Also, if you consider running or walking boring, you can put it in front of a TV.

I'm a walker, not runner, and I prefer outdoor walking especially on our rail trail. The street I like less. But if it's cold, wet, too buggy, too hot and humid, I'll stick with indoors thanks.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Treadmills are better on your knees than running outside. It’s still harder on knees than other exercise, but better than running on sidewalks, road, and probably most tracks.

People who can actually run on a treadmill are freaks of nature. Everyone else = George Jetson.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Consumerreports.com review treadmills. Good info available, but I was shocked at the prices for the top treadmills.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, running technique matters too. I ran a fair amount after knee surgery, and I changed my running style to landing more on the balls of my feet (or more on the front of the foot) as opposed to the heel. This allows more leg muscles to help absorb impact which made sense to me. But wow did my quads hurt when I first tried this- the first few days were agony before I adjusted to the change.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, running technique matters too. I ran a fair amount after knee surgery, and I changed my running style to landing more on the balls of my feet (or more on the front of the foot) as opposed to the heel. This allows more leg muscles to help absorb impact which made sense to me. But wow did my quads hurt when I first tried this- the first few days were agony before I adjusted to the change.

Weather, bugs, easier on your knees? Also, if you consider running or walking boring, you can put it in front of a TV.

I'm a walker, not runner, and I prefer outdoor walking especially on our rail trail. The street I like less. But if it's cold, wet, too buggy, too hot and humid, I'll stick with indoors thanks.
I am a walker too. A walking tip is to look straight ahead maybe 10 feet when you walk. This keeps your posture upright, and prevents slouching. Also, tuck the chin and avoid the tendency to project the head forward..

Reaction Score
I am a walker too. A walking tip is to look straight ahead maybe 10 feet when you walk. This keeps your posture upright, and prevents slouching. Also, tuck the chin and avoid the tendency to project the head forward..
Also one foot forward and then the opposite foot forward. Trust me. I've been walking most my life.

Reaction Score
Also one foot forward and then the opposite foot forward. Trust me. I've been walking most my life.
That sounds like a plan. I thought that is how most people walk.

Not such a bad idea either for a few minutes, to walk backwards on a field or track, to exercise different muscles, or do occasional side-steps too.

As a short variation, I like to butt kick a few times as I walk forward and then butt kick as I walk backwards.

Trust me. It gets the heart rate up because I use the MyZone app which measures heart rate.

I've been walking most of my life and hope I can continue to do so.

Reaction Score
i have a life fitnesses elliptical machine for 12 yrs and it’s working fine. the digital weight adjustment stopped working but everything else is on point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom