Tre Mitchell Recruitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tre Mitchell Recruitment

Reaction Score
If he is a "true" 6 foot 9 he can absolutely play the 5 in college. At UConn he will be coached up. (I don't think Brey is a bad coach though).

Reaction Score
Honestly our program isn't suited right now for a one and done.
We are definitely suited to take a one and done. First thing is you don't know for sure that most kids are one and done. They could play poorly, get injured or have a "good" year, like college and play two. Next, if you get an ultra talented kid thought to be a one and done, it is good for the perception of your program. Good players beget MORE good players. Bring em on!

Reaction Score
I think we have three scholarships left so if Akok and Mitchell commit they can and we can still get Kofi. Unless the staff wants to go after precious still

We can always find room. Not implying we push a current player out, but things happen

pj

Reaction Score
Why?

Because we have 5 scholarships, possibly 4 if we get a scholarship loss out of the Ollie violations; Hurley doesn't like to drive players away to create scholarships; Akok and Kofi would use 4 and we'd rather save the possible 5th for Precious. On Mitchell's side, if Akok and Kofi are here along with Carlton, Whaley, Diarra, there's a lot of competition for playing time, he'd probably prefer to go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
We can always find room. Not implying we push a current player out, but things happen
Yeah. I said same above. Also, the fact is, so not speculating, that CV had a foot out the door for the pros last year as it is. Wise move to stay and happy he did; but there is an obvious lean there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because we are likely only getting one of Cockburn, Mitchell and Wahab.

I'm not sure why people don't understand this. None of those three guys are going to commit to UConn if one of the other three has.

Complete speculation, but Kofi's visit could be the result of Hurley letting him know we'd have to take Mitchell if he committed.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why people don't understand this. None of those three guys are going to commit to UConn if one of the other three has.

Complete speculation, but Kofi's visit could be the result of Hurley letting him know we'd have to take Mitchell if he committed.

This. I think there is every reason to believe that Cockburn was told he had until a certain date to accept or his slot would be offered to one of the other two bigs. (And I'm not putting Akok in that group -- by all accounts he's more of a 4 than a 5).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This. I think there is every reason to believe that Cockburn was told he had until a certain date to accept or his slot would be offered to one of the other two bigs. (And I'm not putting Akok in that group -- by all accounts he's more of a 4 than a 5).

Completely agree. It's exciting imagining we exit the early period with Kofi and Akok and are working on Precious. Superb class if Hurley can pull it off.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If he is a "true" 6 foot 9 he can absolutely play the 5 in college. At UConn he will be coached up. (I don't think Brey is a bad coach though).

At 6'9 you can play center in the NBA these days, with the right make up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Because we have 5 scholarships, possibly 4 if we get a scholarship loss out of the Ollie violations; Hurley doesn't like to drive players away to create scholarships; Akok and Kofi would use 4 and we'd rather save the possible 5th for Precious. On Mitchell's side, if Akok and Kofi are here along with Carlton, Whaley, Diarra, there's a lot of competition for playing time, he'd probably prefer to go elsewhere.

Dude, if those three guys commit, you can be damn near 100% sure one of the current kids would leave (not speculating who) to get some playing time somewhere. Because they won't have any here.

Note, I think it's damn near 100% that all three of those guys together will NOT commit to UCONN.

pj

Reaction Score
Dude, if those three guys commit, you can be damn near 100% sure one of the current kids would leave (not speculating who) to get some playing time somewhere. Because they won't have any here.

Note, I think it's damn near 100% that all three of those guys together will NOT commit to UCONN.

Hurley is trying to build a reputation as a coach who stands by his players. I'm saying he wouldn't accept a commitment from a third big man if it required him to persuade one of his existing players to leave. Mitchell is better than Carlton, Whaley, or Diarra, to be sure; but that doesn't automatically imply that you accept his commitment if it requires chasing one of them away. I agree that if it did happen, one of them would be persuadable. That doesn't mean as a coach you want to do that.

Reaction Score
Hurley is trying to build a reputation as a coach who stands by his players. I'm saying he wouldn't accept a commitment from a third big man if it required him to persuade one of his existing players to leave. Mitchell is better than Carlton, Whaley, or Diarra, to be sure; but that doesn't automatically imply that you accept his commitment if it requires chasing one of them away. I agree that if it did happen, one of them would be persuadable. That doesn't mean as a coach you want to do that.
Can't agree. Near impossible both Tre and Kofi would commit together. (I view them separate from Akok) but if they would you take them all day and twice on Sunday. No one is forcing anyone out. It is just what big time programs do. One of the current bigs will read the writing on the wall and make a decision based on playing time. There would be room for Precious.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I don't understand the point. If Kofi and Akok commit (a big if but we are hopeful), no other big will be interested in coming to UConn. At least nobody but a lower 3 star guy who would be a bench player. No, Dan isn't taking anybody like that. He won't have a decision to make because Mitchell and Wahab will have no interest in UConn if Kofi is coming here.

I'm not saying the Kofi and Akok alone might not concern some of the existing guys, it could. But there is no hypothetical where Hurley has to decide whether to add another quality big.

Reaction Score

If we sign, say, Cockburn and Akok, one of our current bigs may very well see the writing on the wall and leave anyway. I don't disagree that you don't want to tell someone "you're out," but the reality is that kids who don't see a future for playing time in a program are often happy to move on when they figure that out.

Reaction Score
We take the first big out of the group who will commit and deal with any fall out. We have bigs returning and some could improve and contribute more than they did last season.
Precious and Cockburn seem to me to be longer shots than Mitchell and Akok but this is recruiting and it is so fluid that anything can happen. I'd be thrilled with any 2 of the group.

Reaction Score
in 2019:

Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Mitchell

is a top 25 team.

Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Cockburn

is a top 15 team.

Reaction Score
it's like a chess match. I believe Hurley will take any 3 of the bigs being recruited. however, he really wants kofi because he will have the most impact for the program. and before kofi leaves his OV Danny is letting him know this and probably has given him a deadline (Nov 15). just think about it...neither Wahab nor Mitchell has verbally committed elsewhere. they are eaiting to see what kofi does.

Reaction Score
Wahab just finished up his third of five scheduled OVs so I don't expect him to commit to anyone until they're finished. Not sure what's going on with Mitchell except that he seems to have soured on ND and now there is this offer from Va Tech that comes out of nowhere (unless they think they don't have Wahab . . . and they probably don't). Would Kofi really commit to us in the next two weeks? Not sure it is realistic.

Reaction Score
in 2019:

Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Mitchell

is a top 25 team.

Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok