TRCMBB vs Thornlea SS(Javonte Brown-Fergeson) | The Boneyard

TRCMBB vs Thornlea SS(Javonte Brown-Fergeson)

caw

Reaction Score
I bit the bullet and watched the first quarter.

I think JF had 7 points and 3 rebounds, but the first basket could have been attributed to another player. It appeared to be offensive basket interference, so does Canada play with international rules in that regard, or just bad reffing? The other two buckets were off an offensive rebound and a lob on the break. He was 1-2 from the line (and if his teammate passed it to where he was asking for it, he would have had a dunk instead of being fouled). So his counting stats were good. Also one block and his length made some other shots tough for opponents.

Its high school ball so can’t expect much but his team is bad at passing the ball.

Overall he still seems weak. Rarely fights for and wins rebounds in traffic. He doesn’t go up with two hands and thus can’t grab rebounds the way you want a big to grab rebounds. He also doesn’t read rebounds well

His defense was OK. Got posted once and did fine. Had some trouble moving laterally defending the drive but made up for it with his length.

He needs a weight room, a decent guard to pass him the ball and a coach to tell him how to rebound.

I couldn’t watch anymore. It was worse than streetball in some ways.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

I think JF had 7 points and 3 rebounds, but the first basket could have been attributed to another player. It appeared to be offensive basket interference, so does Canada play with international rules in that regard, or just bad reffing? The other two buckets were off an offensive rebound and a lob on the break. He was 1-2 from the line (and if his teammate passed it to where he was asking for it, he would have had a dunk instead of being fouled). So his counting stats were good. Also one block and his length made some other shots tough for opponents.

Its high school ball so can’t expect much but his team is bad at passing the ball.

Overall he still seems weak. Rarely fights for and wins rebounds in traffic. He doesn’t go up with two hands and thus can’t grab rebounds the way you want a big to grab rebounds. He also doesn’t read rebounds well

His defense was OK. Got posted once and did fine. Had some trouble moving laterally defending the drive but made up for it with his length.

He needs a weight room, a decent guard to pass him the ball and a coach to tell him how to rebound.

Love the recap. Check out his move at 16:47 at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. Good footwork and shooting form.

Reaction Score

Canada plays FIBA rules, so no offensive interference. Just an fyi

Reaction Score
Had 37 pts. last night in a loss in front of Hurley and Kenya.

LadyFeleciaB on Twitter: "Thanks for the visit Coach......He can’t wait to get on campus ..... Let’s Goooooooo https://post original url/9jJKuqItLN" / Twitter

Reaction Score
@caw You da real MVP. I couldn't handle watching any more after the first minute of the previous 2 games.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score

LadyFeleciaB on Twitter: "Thanks for the visit Coach......He can’t wait to get on campus ..... Let’s Goooooooo https://post original url/9jJKuqItLN" / Twitter

Is it commonplace for coaches to make visits to watch and support players who have already committed? I love this. Goes to show Hurley is all about the family atmosphere he preaches.

Reaction Score
Is it commonplace for coaches to make visits to watch and support players who have already committed? I love this. Goes to show Hurley is all about the family atmosphere he preaches.
Yes if you want to make sure they stay committed. There was a coach not too long ago, his name escapes me but lost a recruit or 2 by not staying in touch after the commitment

Reaction Score

He's built like Hilton with a long neck and head. He may be 7 feet but if you compare the height of his shoulders to those of Hurley it makes him built more like he's 6'8" or 6'9", so it's good he has long arms.
Scanned through the game and while he stands around a lot on offense on one side of the lane, he's quick going up for his dunks and makes them with authority, made a nice 8 to 10 foot jumper, but seems to have little court awareness regarding position for rebounds.
Doesn't move his feet much on defense and does a lot of reaching for rebounds instead of going to get them. Got pushed around a lot so he really needs strength training.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Strikes me that JB-F needs coaching in every aspect of the game. Definitely a project, which is disappointing for a 4-star. What concerns me most is that he seems to lack any motor whatsoever, never showing any energy, loping up and down the court, frequently slowing to a walk, standing around on offense. On defense, zero instinct for the blocked shot or the rebound. Anything he contributes next year will surprise me. For the present, out hopes for strength underneath must rest with Richie Springs.

Reaction Score
Strikes me that JB-F needs coaching in every aspect of the game. Definitely a project, which is disappointing for a 4-star. What concerns me most is that he seems to lack any motor whatsoever, never showing any energy, loping up and down the court, frequently slowing to a walk, standing around on offense. On defense, zero instinct for the blocked shot or the rebound. Anything he contributes next year will surprise me. For the present, out hopes for strength underneath must rest with Richie Springs.

Agree on the coaching. He had some great offers though, so the coaches must believe he has the important attributes that make him 4 star material or IW will need to improve as much this summer as last so we can have some chance at an inside game.............along with RS and possibly a rebirth of JC.

Lots of possibilities and we only need for one or two to show up big...........................or have a big like Adama Sanogo show up!

Reaction Score
This kid is a project and his competition seems pretty weak compared to the Preps in the NE. He could always make a big leap forward over the summer but you never can tell if that might happen.
Its questable how much he contributes next year. The real question is will he be ready when Carlton, Whaley, and maybe even Akok are gone In the fall of 2022.

Reaction Score
This kid is a project and his competition seems pretty weak compared to the Preps in the NE. He could always make a big leap forward over the summer but you never can tell if that might happen.
Its questable how much he contributes next year. The real question is will he be ready when Carlton, Whaley, and maybe even Akok are gone In the fall of 2022.

Not a problem with Sanogo, Clingan and Etienne already on board.

Reaction Score

Chill dude, he’ll be a fine 4 year player for us

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Very few big men come in ready to go from day one. He will need coaching and some time to adjust to being yelled at by the coaching staff.
You can't teach his size and length

Reaction Score
His four star ranking is based upon projections at the next level. He’s 17 dude, relax lol. I don’t think the staff is expecting much from him next season. He needs time to develop his game and physically mature into his body. You can’t teach height or length like he has, give him two years and he’ll prolly be a really productive player. I think Hurley and co wanted to get him to reclass to avoid other teams getting into the mix. And as far as Springs or bust, the roster isn’t set in stone. Hurley has said this on numerous occasions, including yesterday when referring to the late signing period. It’s certainly likely that another big will be on this team next season one way or another.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom