Travelers Championship Preview | The Boneyard

Travelers Championship Preview

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Latest CT Scoreboard Podcast is out featuring an interview with Travelers Champ Tournament Director Nathan Grube. We talk about planning for this year's event, the success they've had in getting players to announce commitments early, and a lot more. They've already got a great field and still some big names to come!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It will always be the GHO to me.

GHO is a cool way to respect the past.

I can handle Traveler's because they've been a great lead sponsor and helped reboot the tourney from near extinction to a somewhat desired post US Open recovery tournament. After missing the Open, missing the cut or just coming off 4 days of grueling golf, the Travelers is a nice, easy way to get back in to your groove.

Reaction Score
Speaking of GHO... Love LocalVyntage t-shirts. Going to be giving away 3 of the GHO ones during my Travelers contest, so be on the look out for that entry in a couple weeks. Also got a gift card to Chris Cote's Golf and a whole lot more.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
No concerts announced yet. Figuring at this point there won't be any this year.

Reaction Score
GHO is a cool way to respect the past.

I can handle Traveler's because they've been a great lead sponsor and helped reboot the tourney from near extinction to a somewhat desired post US Open recovery tournament. After missing the Open, missing the cut or just coming off 4 days of grueling golf, the Travelers is a nice, easy way to get back in to your groove.
Travelers gets an A+ from me. Nate Grube and Andy Bessette have done a masterful job of raising the profile of this tournament. Even with a non-preferred slot, it’s become a must for many players. Too bad it was never enough for Tiger. His loss.

Reaction Score
The field has been so good in recent years they have crushed the ticket sales. Next year when we are hopefully well past the Covid restrictions we will get back to the 50k to 100k fans per day range. The US Open is in Brookline, MA next year so they should get an awesome field of players since it’s just a short drive to Cromwell. I volunteer every year there. Last year it was weird with no fans and will feel a little more normal this time with limited fans. Can’t wait!

Reaction Score
I believe it’s one of, if not in some years, the most attended stop on the tour.

Living in Georgia, which I consider the heart of golf fandom, I was surprised by how popular the tournament is, even outside CT/the northeast. People love it.

Sometimes it’s nice to see pro golfers not get tortured.

Reaction Score
Agree that players love it in part because there are so many scoring opportunities. But last year DJ was -20 for the Masters and -19 at the Travelers. They are so good they can go low at lots of these courses that aren’t the US Open

Reaction Score
It's a fun course for the players and the director(s) have done a great job getting names to play, and once they do they choose to return

Reaction Score
I believe it’s one of, if not in some years, the most attended stop on the tour.

Living in Georgia, which I consider the heart of golf fandom, I was surprised by how popular the tournament is, even outside CT/the northeast. People love it.

Mostly thanks to the Speith bunker shot, every golf fan knows the 18th Hole. It helps a lot to have an iconic hole/moment like that

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The Travelers Championship is one of the fun things I attend every year. I have been volunteering there since 2000, first as a mobile Marshall, and the last 10 years as a walking scorer. The best thing about being a walking scorer is that you are right there with the player and caddy, listening to their conversations, listening to the private conversations between players when they are together on the tee or walking the fairway. You learn alot about these players, and you learn who is a good guy and who is an A**H**E. LOL. I have grown up on watching this tournament, first as the ICO, GHO, SDJGHO, Canon GHO, Buick Championship. My son was a Greater Hartford Jaycee, the organization that started it and ran it until Travelers took over. Travelers has done an unbelievable job of making this tournament one of the best on tour, and earning the players choice award in 2018 and 2019. Just wondering if any of you guys volunteer there, and if you don't, try it next year. It is really a great experience if you love golf. Can't wait till next week.

Reaction Score
The Travelers Championship is one of the fun things I attend every year. I have been volunteering there since 2000, first as a mobile Marshall, and the last 10 years as a walking scorer. The best thing about being a walking scorer is that you are right there with the player and caddy, listening to their conversations, listening to the private conversations between players when they are together on the tee or walking the fairway. You learn alot about these players, and you learn who is a good guy and who is an A**H**E. LOL. I have grown up on watching this tournament, first as the ICO, GHO, SDJGHO, Canon GHO, Buick Championship. My son was a Greater Hartford Jaycee, the organization that started it and ran it until Travelers took over. Travelers has done an unbelievable job of making this tournament one of the best on tour, and earning the players choice award in 2018 and 2019. Just wondering if any of you guys volunteer there, and if you don't, try it next year. It is really a great experience if you love golf. Can't wait till next week.
Volunteerism has been a staple for many non-profits in the USA and it's something not widely seen in other countries, if it's seen at all.
For those who love, or even just like, golf volunteering at the Travelers should be on your list.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if any of you guys volunteer there, and if you don't, try it next year. It is really a great experience if you love golf. Can't wait till next week.
Yep. I have been volunteering for the last several years (including last year) as a Shot Link laser operator. I will be there all 4 days this year.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if Zach Zaback is in the field at the travelers this year? Went to High School with him, was a two years below. Really cool to see him at the US open and have a solid showing

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anyone know if Zach Zaback is in the field at the travelers this year? Went to High School with him, was a two years below. Really cool to see him at the US open and have a solid showing

Doesn't look like it as of now.

2021 Player Field - Travelers Championship - TPC River Highlands

There's usually a Monday qualifier if he is entered, or a possibility of being an alternate.

The tournaments have broad discretion in handing out sponsor's exemptions. It would have been cool if either UConn player who qualified for the US Open was given an exemption to play back in CT at the Traveler's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom