Travel to Turkey to Cheer on Geno Auriemma & USA Basketball | The Boneyard

Travel to Turkey to Cheer on Geno Auriemma & USA Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cheer on Coach Geno Auriemma and the USA National Women's Basketball Team! Travel with alumni, friends and fans to the World Championship Games held in Istanbul, Turkey. Spend two nights in Cappadocia, a region honeycombed with networks of ancient underground settlements and outstanding examples of Byzantine art. Then on to Istanbul, full of historical and natural wonders.

Space is limited, deposit required. For more information and to register, click HERE or call the Alumni Association toll free at 1-888-822-5861.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I have been to both Istanbul and Cappidocia - if anyone is wondering whether it is worth going, YES. I am planning on returning someday, hopefully sooner than later. Cappidocia is a world heritage site. We did a balloon ride over the valleys, amazing.

Getting to watch some great basketball on top - priceless!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Already made my plans... lol. SOME of us are long term planners! :)

It will be fun to have a bunch of UConn fans around.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
LOL - the Turks are VERY welcoming... don't judge a people by their political upheaval...

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
LOL - the Turks are VERY welcoming... don't judge a people by their political upheaval...

Very true...and many of them are in a difficult position because they oppose the current government and it's direction. Many Turkish people who have emigrated here or have dual citizenship are very concerned for their families and friends back home. Please do not judge an entire population by the current government.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
If anyone is interested, the airfares to Istanbul are not bad right now... I booked a non-stop round trip flight today for $825 pp. A very good value. Flights to London and Paris during the same time period are well over $1000... Of course you could fly cheaper on Aeroflot with a stop in Moscow for $765 if price is important. :eek:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the Turkish baths, Turkish towels, and Turkish taffy. When we get to the medal round, we'll talk Turkey.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the Turkish baths, Turkish towels, and Turkish taffy. When we get to the medal round, we'll talk Turkey.

No Turkish coffee???

CTyankee

Reaction Score
How about a Turkish Delight??? ;)

DSC01619-1024x670.jpg

Last edited:

CTyankee

Reaction Score
Not so Bizarre... Find them at the Spice Bazaar...

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Not so Bizarre... Find them at the Spice Bazaar...
You can find turkish delight stores pretty much everywhere in the old city, but do be sure to visit the spice bazaar as well as the grand bazaar. (Be prepared for less sanitary conditions - the merchants will dip their hands in the piles of spices.) As you walk thru the grand bazaar you will hear "where you from" a lot. Leathers are a deal there (BARGAIN, BARGAIN BARGAIN) and ATM machines are located throughout the Bazaar as well. DON'T get sucked into a carpet store - it will be a waste of 2 hours.

Also don't miss the cisterns - featured in Dan Brown's latest book. Go to the Blue Mosque in the evening when all the tourists have left - women need to be fairly fully covered. The Palace is beautiful as well. The Hagia Sophia is pretty spectacular, especially that is was constructed in 500 ad.

We hired a guide who besides ushering us to all the tourist sites was much able to get better deals out of stores in the grand bazaar.

In Cappidoccia - you may have the chance to go to a Whirling Dervish show - you should go, it's unlike anything you will ever see. Also the underground city is unbelievable. The early morning balloon rides are spectacular.

Last edited:

CTyankee

Reaction Score
Don't forget to see Turkish Belly Dancing,
another Turkish Delight.

P1040508.JPG

Last edited:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
If you go to the games, be prepared. Turkish basketball fans are VERY enthusiastic and strongly support the Galatsary and Fenerbace teams. So if our girls are playing their girls, it's going to be a loud, wild arena.

Reaction Score
. . . Also don't miss the cisterns - featured in Dan Brown's latest book. . . .

Also featured in the movie "From Russia with Love" . . . but the idea that you can float over
underneath the Russian embassy is, of course, complete nonsense.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
The cisterns are actually called The Basilica Cisterns. It's a great visit. Well lit, an underground cafe. Fish swimming around and of course, the Medusa heads on the upside down columns.

DSC_6051AB.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Awesome! Thanks.

I have my plane tickets and hotel arrangements, all in Istanbul. I understand that Canada with Kia Nurse is playing prelim rounds in Ankara. Google maps say it's a 4-hour drive each way, and I wonder about safety. Does anyone know anything about trains between Istanbul and Ankara?

CTyankee

Reaction Score
Most of the public travel is either by plane or by bus.... I don't know about train service but their buses are extremely comfortable, inexpensive and numerous.

By safety? What do you mean? As in traffic (drivers)? Traffic is absolutely terrible in Istanbul. A bit better and logical once you are outside the city. Buses handle it very well...

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Bus/

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just found Pegasus Air for $69 each way for a 1-hour flight. I think that's a winner. Thanks!

CTyankee

Reaction Score
Be careful with Pegasus Air. I think they fly from the Asian side, not from Ataturk Airport.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Most of the public travel is either by plane or by bus.... I don't know about train service but their buses are extremely comfortable, inexpensive and numerous.

By safety? What do you mean? As in traffic (drivers)? Traffic is absolutely terrible in Istanbul. A bit better and logical once you are outside the city. Buses handle it very well...

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Bus/
We were discouraged from taking the buses - fly if you can. Ankara is relatively close to Cappadoccia if you're not visiting there later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom