Travel Patters | The Boneyard

Travel Patters

Reaction Score
Over the next three months I travel to Budapest, Sofia, Sarajevo and Athens for work, while my wife's job sends her to Dhaka, Beirut, Kampala and Dar.
Whose itinerary would you prefer?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Over the next three months I travel to Budapest, Sofia, Sarajevo and Athens for work, while my wife's job sends her to Dhaka, Beirut, Kampala and Dar.
I have to go with your wife's. I presume most people would prefer yours though.

Reaction Score
I've been to all mine before and only Dar on her list, so I'd agree with you.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I might be a bit worried for your wife. That itinerary doesn't sound particularly friendly for Western females. And I suspect there is a distinct lack of readily available booze. I would like to visit Beirut though.

Speaking of which, when in Sofia, should you stop in JJ Murphy's on 6 Karnigradska, can you check to see if my Terrible Towel is still hanging up at the bar? Great place to watch soccer and rugby, solid English breakfast and it's where most English ex-pats hang out. You'll probably run into some MI6 and CIA types there. Also, pizza is pretty good in Sofia although the toppings can be weird (e.g. corn/pickles), however, I've had excellent chewy well done crusts. Avoid BBQ or "Mexican" though. And they've got some pretty decent wines, particularly a varietal called Mavrud.

Spent a couple months there and I was very comfortable - pretty easy walking city and not too touristy, but lots of little interesting markets and street vendors and still has feel of post-Soviet with crappy apartment complexes and big plazas in front of govt buildings. And it's cheap. If you can do a side trip to Rila Monastery, I'd suggest doing so. I'm not religious but the place and its history was impressive. The frescoes are stunning and there's an intricate carving called Rafail's Cross which is amazing.

Only spent 48 hours in Budapest, but it's also a lovely walking city. If you want to enjoy a real traditional Hungarian meal, I suggest Nancsi Neni, which is a bit outside the city, but IMO, worth it if you're into Hungarian soul food.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I would quit either of those jobs.

Reaction Score
Zero hesitation; your wife's itinerary. If booze is a requirement, she'll be able to get a fix at any decent international hotel. Your itinerary: been there, done that multiple times. Sarajevo, maybe just to see how much has changed the last several years. Safe travels!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Zero hesitation; your wife's itinerary. If booze is a requirement, she'll be able to get a fix at any decent international hotel. Your itinerary: been there, done that multiple times. Sarajevo, maybe just to see how much has changed the last several years. Safe travels!

You actually want to go to Dar Es Salaam? Sir, I have seriously underestimated your party animal quotient.

Reaction Score
You actually want to go to Dar Es Salaam? Sir, I have seriously underestimated your party animal quotient.
Never been and my party animal quotient's not exactly defined so much by alcohol consumption at this stage, so sure ...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Never been and my party animal quotient's not exactly defined so much by alcohol consumption at this stage, so sure ...

Parties don't necessarily require alcohol. I don't think they serve it there anyway. But the hosts do provide excitement in other ways. Not as much as say, Nairobi, but still I'm sure you can find a good time.

Reaction Score
Both sound interesting, hard to pick. I have been floating around South and Central America for more than 4 years so either would be a change in scenery. Um, would love to have either of your jobs someday, haha. What do you do?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom