Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
you should take it as a great compliment......if I go any further then eight I know I become a Jeff Walz fan in your eyes.....in all seriousness how many offers to top recruits do you think UConn needs to make in order to ensure a minimum three player yield in the 2020 class? What are the odds of getting PB, HV or Kapinus, Gusters, Marshall or Daniels? That's six right there and I'm not at all sure that any of them have UConn as their favorite....I'd want another wing/small forward offered along with a third point guard......are you willing to take your chances with just those original six? I'm not unless UConn has assurances from several of them.....
As I have said to you many many times before: I am very comfortable with the UCONN approach to recruiting evaluating players, and selectively extending offers.

Reaction Score
Interesting to guess about next year, but way too early. Likely it wont be until after the season ends that we fully understand what next year's line up MAY look like.
Just a fun thought to pass the time!

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I find these assertions that UConn must make a "bare minimum of eight offers" rather silly. Geno and his staff will know how interested players are and their relative likelihood of committing to UConn, as well as whether or not they will be a fit for UConn's unique program. There is a reason why UConn is unlike any other program, and suddenly acting and recruiting like the Louisville's of the world is not the way to preserve the program's success.

I suspect you were equally confident with the 2019 class.............please explain what happened there and why should we expect anything different with the 2020 class?
There are no clear UConn leans in the 2020 class that I'm aware of and the competition should be equally fierce............add to that the dire need for bodies and there is very little room to be wrong.............that's why you need to make a few more offers.............otherwise you end up looking for juco players and graduate transfers........and that is surely not the UConn way with rare exception for special talents.......

Reaction Score
I’m curious to see how the bench minutes work next year. If it continues to be 40 minutes for most of the starters and only maybe 2-3 minutes for the bench or if the bench players are basically forced in and trial by fire ensues. Regardless, the 2020-2021 season will be even crazier because either UConn strikes out again for the 2020 recruiting class and has maybe 1 incoming freshmen (leaving [with current commits and players counted] 6 players on the roster), they’ll add a bunch of transfers, international players, juco players, or players that were not in the espn top 100 til fill out a roster, of they will have 3-5 incoming freshmen so they have a team of 8-10 players, leaving the team consisting of 2sr, 2jr, 1so, and 5fr. The future is unknown and exciting. These are the kinds of challenges I love to see worked out by the coaching staff.
I was going to say the starter minutes CAN"T remain 40---but they can. They shouldn't for the good of the players and the team.
Hopefully the bench, all healthy anyway, will see 30 minutes in AAC games. The 5 has to play or get rusty and that is the last thing we or Geno needs to see.

Reaction Score
I suspect you were equally confident with the 2019 class...please explain what happened there and why should we expect anything different with the 2020 class?
There are no clear UConn leans in the 2020 class that I'm aware of and the competition should be equally fierce..add to that the dire need for bodies and there is very little room to be wrong...that's why you need to make a few more offers...otherwise you end up looking for juco players and graduate transfers...and that is surely not the UConn way with rare exception for special talents..

Dang Charlie you are scaring me and right after my spouse of many years told me ---there is no sanity clause.
I'm not as insightful as you are in the potentiality for recruits to come to Uconn for the coming season. From my limited view it a terrible view.

Reaction Score
Dang Charlie you are scaring me and right after my spouse of many years told me ---there is no sanity clause.
I'm not as insightful as you are in the potentiality for recruits to come to Uconn for the coming season. From my limited view it a terrible view.

well no need for panic at this point in time, hopefully at least one of the two or three top point guards and at least one of the top forwards and posts choose UConn above all others................................that's usually been the way it worked in years past...............................I'm a believer in due diligence where having a back up plan is a necessity..................... in this instance that means seeking out additional quality players just in case things don't exactly go UConn's way like what happened with the 2019 class.................................I would hope that Geno and Co will be out there beating the bushes for a couple of hidden gems and not simply resting on their laurels assuming that UConn will pluck out the best of the bunch just because that's the way it's always been

Reaction Score
I was going to say the starter minutes CAN"T remain 40---but they can. They shouldn't for the good of the players and the team.
Hopefully the bench, all healthy anyway, will see 30 minutes in AAC games. The 5 has to play or get rusty and that is the last thing we or Geno needs to see.
I’m with you on that wish. While I have no doubt the started will still play the majority of the minutes, I would cap that playing time at somewhere around 25-30 per game. That would give a lot of rest to the starters and would get the bench a ton of playing time. Some games might only be won by 20 instead of 40, but after 15 points the extra points don’t matter much. Beyond that, these are college kids. They are stressed enough with class demands. They have lives outside of classes and basketball, too. Adding in the extra demands of being a student athlete and you have a recipe for disaster if they’re playing extended minutes too often. Even young bodies get worn down without proper rest—especially when under stress physically or mentally.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Didn't know that Shug Dickson was transferring from Tulsa. She played quite well against UConn last year. That is a loss for the AAC.
I didn't know either. I liked her game.

Reaction Score
well no need for panic at this point in time, hopefully at least one of the two or three top point guards and at least one of the top forwards and posts choose UConn above all others.......that's usually been the way it worked in years past......I'm a believer in due diligence where having a back up plan is a necessity...... in this instance that means seeking out additional quality players just in case things don't exactly go UConn's way like what happened with the 2019 class........I would hope that Geno and Co will be out there beating the bushes for a couple of hidden gems and not simply resting on their laurels assuming that UConn will pluck out the best of the bunch just because that's the way it's always been

THANKS!!!
Great positive attitude--(quoting Ed Asner--)I hate positive attitudes! Please forgive my ignorance ( the Webster dictionary meaning)--where will these that you mention come from between now and say June 2019? Who is available?
One more bit of ignorance if you will allow: when was the last time, going into the next year that Geno had this dearth of talent to at this point in a season? It has been a long while probably prior to Maya's arrival?

Reaction Score
I’m with you on that wish. While I have no doubt the started will still play the majority of the minutes, I would cap that playing time at somewhere around 25-30 per game. That would give a lot of rest to the starters and would get the bench a ton of playing time. Some games might only be won by 20 instead of 40, but after 15 points the extra points don’t matter much. Beyond that, these are college kids. They are stressed enough with class demands. They have lives outside of classes and basketball, too. Adding in the extra demands of being a student athlete and you have a recipe for disaster if they’re playing extended minutes too often. Even young bodies get worn down without proper rest—especially when under stress physically or mentally.
I could agree more and I do. Uconn fans are a spoiled bunch (include me) with the 30 -50 point blowouts which leads us to not fully understand all you need is one point more!
I began following the Uconn men in the 60s' mostly because the were STUDENTs then athletes that represented their school and Connecticut, even in losses back then I had great pride in those "boys". The women play the game with precision, beauty and Uconn rarely needs physical force to win their way: that's why I moved to the UC Women's game.

Reaction Score
I suspect you were equally confident with the 2019 class...please explain what happened there and why should we expect anything different with the 2020 class?
There are no clear UConn leans in the 2020 class that I'm aware of and the competition should be equally fierce..add to that the dire need for bodies and there is very little room to be wrong...that's why you need to make a few more offers...otherwise you end up looking for juco players and graduate transfers...and that is surely not the UConn way with rare exception for special talents..
With all the AAU games and H.S. games, there must be a goodly number that can actually play, defend (a bit) and score in the ranks of 50 to 90's. They can't all lack confidence, can't shoot, can't defend, look lost in games. It would seem if these were their characteristics they would not be ranked at all. Uconn shouldn't require players be in the 1 to 10 rankings to actually find players that can play the game. Who may those available be? While CW is truly unique in her mother given talent and has a mother's belief in her that developed confidence I can't believe there aren't kids like her with a bit less talent in the higher ranks.
As cartoonist Charles Crane today wrote: the opposite of Carpe Diem is Crapy Diem without incoming goodie players

Last edited:

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Charliebball - Intervention on your behalf a must;

PLEASE listen to CocoHusky :(

"...stop straining your imagination before you hurt yourself."

well that's exactly what Coco said regarding my concerns with the 2019 class.............who got that one right?

Charliebball 1 Coco -0

Reaction Score
With all the AAU games and H.S. games, there must be a goodly number that can actually play, defend (a bit) and score in the ranks of 50 to 90's. They can't all lack confidence, can't shoot, can't defend, look lost in games. It would seem if these were their characteristics they would not be ranked at all. Uconn shouldn't require players be in the 1 to 10 rankings to actually find players that can play the game. Who may those available be? While CW is truly unique in her mother given talent and has a mother's belief in her that developed confidence I can't believe there aren't kids like her with a bit less talent in the higher ranks.
As cartoonist Charles Crane today wrote: the opposite of Carpe Diem is Crapy Diem without incoming goodie players

when you're right you're right......................................take somebody like Taylor Mikesell on Maryland...........................as far as I know she was not offered by UConn............................ rated the number nine guard and #33 overall in the 2018 class............................had solid moments for USA basketball and was a 4.0 GPA student.............................now she's averaging about 15 points and 4 assists per game as a soph for Maryland................................do you think a player like that would be able to help UConn in any way?

Reaction Score
when you're right you're right........take somebody like Taylor Mikesell on Maryland.......as far as I know she was not offered by UConn........ rated the number nine guard and #33 overall in the 2018 class........had solid moments for USA basketball and was a 4.0 GPA student.........now she's averaging about 15 points and 4 assists per game as a soph for Maryland.......do you think a player like that would be able to help UConn in any way?
That's the type I was referring to . Geno has stated, and by those he has chosen (#1's), the major characteristic is Confidence. Call it what you want but a significant ego--believing in one's self even to the point of chest thumping (ala DT) is good when you want the best, who plays their best as a frosh. Some may be harder to handle; who needs a kid that is easily handled but can't score and defend at a very high level.
Good for you, I suppose.
But beating this dead horse over,
and over,
and over (and in multiple threads to boot)
accomplishes what, exactly?

I suppose I must plead guilty on that count. I am/have been trying to understand where Uconn goes from here. When KLS and Napheesa are gone the 3 with proven skills and experience have no experienced ready to roll behind them. Where do those needed come from. If you must lay blame for apparently off transfers--blame me. However if you or anyone knows of potential Uconn players who are transferring --we are back on thread.

Reaction Score
Good for you, I suppose.
But beating this dead horse over,
and over,
and over (and in multiple threads to boot)
accomplishes what, exactly?

gets you ticked off apparently

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
well that's exactly what Coco said regarding my concerns with the 2019 class...who got that one right?
Charliebball 1 Coco -0
I'm not sure you are keeping score correctly!
I agree that ONO may be more interested in a professional track then a WNBA track which would certainly lesson the odds of her choosing UConn (15%).....Christyn Williams may very well include UConn in her final two but the odds still tend to favor Texas or even South Carolina (30%)....as always, I'll be absolutely thrilled to be wrong about one or both..

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you are keeping score correctly!

I was referring to our back and forth starting with the 2019 class where having a decent roster size really mattered but as I often preface my predictions, I absolutely love to be proven wrong if it benefits UConn!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
well no need for panic at this point in time, hopefully at least one of the two or three top point guards and at least one of the top forwards and posts choose UConn above all others.......that's usually been the way it worked in years past......I'm a believer in due diligence where having a back up plan is a necessity...... in this instance that means seeking out additional quality players just in case things don't exactly go UConn's way like what happened with the 2019 class........I would hope that Geno and Co will be out there beating the bushes for a couple of hidden gems and not simply resting on their laurels assuming that UConn will pluck out the best of the bunch just because that's the way it's always been

Listening to Geno during pressers, and reading on-line articles, I get the impression that Geno is not done with this 2019 class yet.

Given that he missed on all of the most coveted recruits this year, it would not surprise me for him to announce additional acquisitions during the late signing period. I know there are some players that are not top 100 that could play for Geno, and would love to come here.

Reaction Score
Listening to Geno during pressers, and reading on-line articles, I get the impression that Geno is not done with this 2019 class yet.

Given that he missed on all of the most coveted recruits this year, it would not surprise me for him to announce additional acquisitions during the late signing period. I know there are some players that are not top 100 that could play for Geno, and would love to come here.

but this gets back to my original point.......................instead of looking under rocks to find a player or two after the fact, why not just offer a couple of really good players from that class that meet most of the UConn criteria..........................those players should almost always be better choices then jucos, or grad students......................this just seems so logical........................that's why I feel the need to repeat the same question over and over again........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom