Transfers in Dallas | The Boneyard

Transfers in Dallas

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I am more a UCONN FOOTBALL fan but browse all of the boards casually while supporting all of our student/athletes.

I'd say I watch 95% of the WBB games. I love Geno, CD and the type of young women they recruit to represent UCONN.

I don't read every thread here but remember seeing something about our transfers having to pay their own way to the Final Four.

If this is true can someone with knowledge of the process PM me? I'd like to pay their way.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That plate of chicken legs = this thread

that cat = Spies from Knoxville

R3k3PmJ.jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
That plate of chicken legs = this thread

that cat = Spies from Knoxville

R3k3PmJ.jpg

I have no idea what that means but I am 100% serious. I think I've been here long enough to be taken at my word. I'm not suggesting anything illegal or against NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
I am more a UCONN FOOTBALL fan but browse all of the boards casually while supporting all of our student/athletes.

I'd say I watch 95% of the WBB games. I love Geno, CD and the type of young women they recruit to represent UCONN.

I don't read every thread here but remember seeing something about our transfers having to pay their own way to the Final Four.

If this is true can someone with knowledge of the process PM me? I'd like to pay their way.

No chance that would be allowed by the NCAA.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
No chance that would be allowed by the NCAA.

Didn't another thread say Dook used some sort of funds to pay for their transfers in the past? If that was tongue in cheek, my bad and mods can delete this thread. I was being 100% sincere but may be naive.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have no idea what that means but I am 100% serious. I think I've been here long enough to be taken at my word. I'm not suggesting anything illegal or against NCAA rules.

That probably is an impermissible benefit. You are a UCONN fan.... not a UNC fan.... your school would be put on probation before the Championship game on Sunday :cool::confused::eek: :rolleyes:;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Didn't another thread say Dook used some sort of funds to pay for their transfers in the past? If that was tongue in cheek, my bad and mods can delete this thread. I was being 100% sincere but may be naive.
I was the one who posted that, and the deal is that the University athletic scholarship has a certain amount of discretionary money in it that can be used for the benefit of the athlete - I am not sure what it is used for normal, maybe better food when traveling or something, but some schools have chosen to use it on a transfer's travel expense to away games which they are not allowed to go to with the team based on other NCAA rules during their year of sitting out. Uconn has never done that for any athlete as far as I know.

That is a very different thing from ANYONE outside of the Uconn administration providing ANY benefit to a student athlete that is not available to every other student enrolled at the university. SO - no, you cannot help the transfers get to Dallas in any way as it would constitute an improper benefit for them, and make them subject to NCAA discipline including losing their scholarship and their eligibility to ever play basketball in college again. If Uconn was culpable or complicit or even aware of any improper benefit received by an athlete, then they would also be subject to NCAA discipline.

Sooo - nice thought, and one shared by many on this board, but one that has dire consequence if acted upon.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I was the one who posted that, and the deal is that the University athletic scholarship has a certain amount of discretionary money in it that can be used for the benefit of the athlete - I am not sure what it is used for normal, maybe better food when traveling or something, but some schools have chosen to use it on a transfer's travel expense to away games which they are not allowed to go to with the team based on other NCAA rules during their year of sitting out. Uconn has never done that for any athlete as far as I know.

That is a very different thing from ANYONE outside of the Uconn administration providing ANY benefit to a student athlete that is not available to every other student enrolled at the university. SO - no, you cannot help the transfers get to Dallas in any way as it would constitute an improper benefit for them, and make them subject to NCAA discipline including losing their scholarship and their eligibility to ever play basketball in college again. If Uconn was culpable or complicit or even aware of any improper benefit received by an athlete, then they would also be subject to NCAA discipline.

Sooo - nice thought, and one shared by many on this board, but one that has dire consequence if acted upon.

Thank you for the education, Uc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As a follow up - Watching Lou's father traveling back and forth between Lexington and Bridgeport this past weekend people talked about why some airline didn't get involved as a PR stunt. Parents and family of a student athlete also need to be very wary of accepting anything that could be construed as an improper benefit given because their child or family member was playing on an athletic scholarship. While an airline probably would not be in anyway connected to the University and therefore not a prohibited entity, one of their board might be a Uconn grad, or a senior VP, or _____, and a convoluted case might be made that discounted travel was in fact an improper benefit.

NCAA rules are a minefield of things that have to be navigated with care, but realize that every rule was instituted because some sleazeball program or booster was using a supposed loophole to try and influence the balance of fair competition.

Reaction Score

Nice sentiment and offer. The NCAA is so anti-student athlete that it would never be permitted. When Svetlana was here, many wanted to help pay the costs for her parents to come from Russia for Senior night, but even that was illegal.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Nice sentiment and offer. The NCAA is so anti-student athlete that it would never be permitted. When Svetlana was here, many wanted to help pay the costs for her parents to come from Russia for Senior night, but even that was illegal.

The NCAA is like Scrooge on steroids. It's ridiculous that transfers can't go to the Final Four unless they pay their own way. We have a men's player from Estonia and his parents are paying their way to see him play in the States for the first time. What a place to see your son play college ball for the first time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

you can "transfer" me a few pesos so I can go to Dallas
images

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Years ago, the Boneyard wanted to take up a collection to buy flowers for Svetlana Abrosimova and Shea Ralph after the two seniors had career-ending injuries. Apparently, though, that would have been an NCAA violation. :rolleyes: If they played football in the SEC we could have bought them each a flower store and the NCAA would have been okey-dokey with it.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Years ago, the Boneyard wanted to take up a collection to buy flowers for Svetlana Abrosimova and Shea Ralph after the two seniors had career-ending injuries. Apparently, though, that would have been an NCAA violation. :rolleyes: If they played football in the SEC we could have bought them each a flower store and the NCAA would have been okey-dokey with it.
NCAA rules don't apply to the SEC apparently, especially Alabama Football......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As a follow up - Watching Lou's father traveling back and forth between Lexington and Bridgeport this past weekend people talked about why some airline didn't get involved as a PR stunt. Parents and family of a student athlete also need to be very wary of accepting anything that could be construed as an improper benefit given because their child or family member was playing on an athletic scholarship. While an airline probably would not be in anyway connected to the University and therefore not a prohibited entity, one of their board might be a Uconn grad, or a senior VP, or _____, and a convoluted case might be made that discounted travel was in fact an improper benefit.

NCAA rules are a minefield of things that have to be navigated with care, but realize that every rule was instituted because some sleazeball program or booster was using a supposed loophole to try and influence the balance of fair competition.
Uhm.. Official Policy & Talking Point should the need arise: :
Jon Samuelson is traveling in support of his daughter who attends Stanford University.
His appearance in CT was due to a mix up in the airline scheduling which incorrectly routed him through Bridgeport. :eek:

Reaction Score
Or schools that commit academic fraud for two decades or recruit football players who "ain't here to play school." But, Geno wishes good luck to a middle school little leaguer and the NCAA is suddenly a regular Sherlock at getting to the bottom of such a huge crime in cracking the case wide open and levying punishment in a matter of days. Calhoun farts into the wind and it's a federal offense and loss of schollies and a post-season ban. When the NCAA goes bye bye and all those administrators and bureaucrats making six figures are unemployed they will only have themselves to blame.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Uhm.. Official Policy & Talking Point should the need arise: :
Jon Samuelson is traveling in support of his daughter who attends Stanford University.
His appearance in CT was due to a mix up in the airline scheduling which incorrectly routed him through Bridgeport. :eek:
Hmmm maybe there is the loophole. Someone who hates Stanford (UCONN fan) could have paid for the plane ticket to get Mr Samuelson to Lexington to see Karlie and someone who hates UCONN (Stanford fan) could have paid for the plane ticket to get him to Bridgeport to see KLS.

Reaction Score
Hmmm maybe there is the loophole. Someone who hates Stanford (UCONN fan) could have paid for the plane ticket to get Mr Samuelson to Lexington to see Karlie and someone who hates UCONN (Stanford fan) could have paid for the plane ticket to get him to Bridgeport to see KLS.
I'm surprised there aren't more attempts to set schools up to be honest. With the myriad of rules, it should be easy to do, and then what would the NCAA do about it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom