Transfers - Addressing the Wrong Problem Again. | The Boneyard

Transfers - Addressing the Wrong Problem Again.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Interesting Read. I don't know how to solve the problem of athletes choosing the right school to begin with.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting Read.
Mark is a GREAT man! He was the single best source of recruiting public & private advice when my daughters were going through the process. I nagged them all and found Mark to be the most responsive. I had a full folder with some of his previous publications that I need to recover. This is a sampling from Hoopgurlz 2009.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Interesting Read. I don't know how to solve the problem of athletes choosing the right school to begin with.
I read the entire article, even though I found it to be wordy and full of tenuous analogies just to get to whatever point the writer was trying to make. In the end, the writer’s point was simply that, “recruits need to make better decisions.” I think he could have cut the article down by about 80% and made his point more effectively.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I read the entire article, even though I found it to be wordy and full of tenuous analogies just to get to whatever point the writer was trying to make. In the end, the writer’s point was simply that, “recruits need to make better decisions.” I think he could have cut the article down by about 80% and made his point more effectively.

Agree. Almost gave up until the second half when a useful point was being made. Only 2 paragraphs (or 2 sentences) needed

Avoid making a decision because of a relationship with an assistant coach. Of course she’s easy to talk with. Of course she talks about more than just basketball. Of course, she remembers small and personal things you mentioned and talked about since the start of the recruiting process. It’s her (or his) job. Most are very genuine, some of the finest people I’ve ever met…but, ultimately, it’s still their job.

A good decision involves some uncomfortable questions. It involves talking to more than just the current staff and players. It involves being honest with yourself about the actual level you can play on. It could mean saying no to the high profile program for a better opportunity academically or personally. It means staying the course not cancelling visits because you’re tired or want a weekend off. It’s a once (hopefully) in a lifetime decision, go the distance. Leave no stone unturned. The last school to call might be the right fit. And in the end nothing…NOTHING…is more important than that fit.

And then this weird one

Understand that how long a school recruits an athlete plays absolutely no role in a good decision.

Good thing Paige did not think that way. ;)

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Read both articles. Agree, interesting/good read. I have little experience as a young college student almost acquiring an associate degree from a junior college after my military service.

Can almost imagine what it's like being a young student athlete. Having said that the "only" thing that has ever bothered me about transfer's is that not all have to sit a year. Some get secret dispensation and avoid the penalty box.

My opinion is that there should be limited number of "clearly" defined instances outside of the students control in their decision making process where they can transfer without peanilty. Example: the head coach leaves or is otherwise unable to coach. No exceptions!

Reaction Score

He is being paid by word counts, and big word counts double.

Reaction Score
Sounds like some BY posts:D

Reaction Score
Well......I guess in the recruits mind at that age, along with the parents, it means aspirations, prestige, ego, level of difficulty, Team potential, and whether you would like to be a starter or sit on the bench for 4 years. Some recruits, on the other hand, if they are the cream of the crop and have real potential, want to be pushed, drilled, constructed, and built for a future purpose and that influences their choice. Some of those who are the cream of the crop, make choices for ulterior motives important only to themselves (want to play close to home) and carry a team by the shear weight of their talent.

In any event, I hope that these young folks, are content and happy with their choices and make the best of their situations. Attitude and maturity have a lot to do with this. And, knowing who you are, what you are, and understanding your limits both physically and mentally. But, that is even very difficult if you are 77 or 18.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think sitting out a season when you transfer is a reasonable requirement.

If they don't require a year, that would probably create a big problem, but the world would adjust.

It's this ad hoc approach where some people get to transfer without penalty and other don't and it depends on how sad you make your story and how inclined towards litigation you are is absurd and inherently unfair to not only the schools and players who are denied waivers, but to all the non-squeaky wheels who just go about their business.

So pick a rule. Apply it universally. And stop making exceptions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Personally, I think sitting out a season when you transfer is a reasonable requirement.

If they don't require a year, that would probably create a big problem, but the world would adjust.

It's this ad hoc approach where some people get to transfer without penalty and other don't and it depends on how sad you make your story and how inclined towards litigation you are is absurd and inherently unfair to not only the schools and players who are denied waivers, but to all the non-squeaky wheels who just go about their business.

1585317327134.png

Reaction Score
Agree. Almost gave up until the second half when a useful point was being made. Only 2 paragraphs (or 2 sentences) needed

Avoid making a decision because of a relationship with an assistant coach. Of course she’s easy to talk with. Of course she talks about more than just basketball. Of course, she remembers small and personal things you mentioned and talked about since the start of the recruiting process. It’s her (or his) job. Most are very genuine, some of the finest people I’ve ever met…but, ultimately, it’s still their job.

A good decision involves some uncomfortable questions. It involves talking to more than just the current staff and players. It involves being honest with yourself about the actual level you can play on. It could mean saying no to the high profile program for a better opportunity academically or personally. It means staying the course not cancelling visits because you’re tired or want a weekend off. It’s a once (hopefully) in a lifetime decision, go the distance. Leave no stone unturned. The last school to call might be the right fit. And in the end nothing…NOTHING…is more important than that fit.

And then this weird one

Understand that how long a school recruits an athlete plays absolutely no role in a good decision.

Good thing Paige did not think that way. ;)
I'm glad that Kia Nurse did not hold it against UCONN that it was late to the recruiting party. Ditto Nika Muhl

Reaction Score
Going on the advise of the poster I read the article from start to finish and, I'm not sure what to think. It is certainly well written. But does it say much. In the end, it seems to put the blame on the High School kid and their family for not being sophisticated enough to see through a well polished and scripted process that is intended to accomplished precisely that of hailing the young wo/man. Even as he glossed over these institutional indecencies, being an institutional man, he let them escape to catch and discipline the small fish. His romance with the 'student athlete' is far too much for me to swallow. His plug for the (academic) elite institutions is too much (think how well stanford sell itself by the empty(?) ritual of informing a recruit that the waiting is over-- you have been approved. Wow. How many recruits have been send up and turned away? Unless he is willing to acknowledged that these athletes are working and that they picked the coaches who they think can deliver them to the next level, he is being dishonest. When there are serious questions about how much taxes are paid by corporations, politicians, etc., it is really overkill to threaten the athlete with taxes and other factors that obviously have more consequences for the poorer half.
What is to be done? He had his fingers on it when he briefly mentioned that the P5 Programs are just fine with the new suggestion. I wonder why. And I will leave un-examine here the fact that a good number of these students are coming from environments in which such attention have been more negative than good (lies).

Reaction Score

As long as a coach needs to sit out a year also, I'm good.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Definitely a bit rambling, but remember that the target audience is high school kids and parents, so a bit of repetition may be useful to make sure the message sinks in.

Remember that almost all of us are more sophisticated and knowledgeable about college recruitment than probably 80-90% of D1-level recruits going into their upper years of high school. When I think back to how I made decisions when I was 16-17 years old, I can't help but laugh. My intentions were great and I was doing the best I could at the time, but some things come with age and experience, so it's nice that someone with both is passing the knowledge down to those who could benefit most from it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom