OT: - Transferring money to the US | The Boneyard

OT: Transferring money to the US

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My family is receiving a gift from FIL in asia. Transferwise is not an option, not available. Speed of money transfer is really not important. I am trying to get cost estimates for WU but they're giving me a hard time since I'm in the US and need the rates/fees in the reverse direction. I'm trying to research wire transfer but the problem will be in my family just accepting whatever fee/rate is applied at their bank. Does anyone have experience/recommendations on this?

Reaction Score
Honestly there are no ideal options and you're bound to lose a nice chunk of cash on fees and exchange rates. I use Transferwise as its easy and the rates tend to be the most competitive. Usually the likes of WU, MoneyGram are the worst options - that's why they target migrant workers and are all over poor neighborhoods.

Best is for FIL to get a exact quote from his local bank on what the exchange rate will be and the transfer fees so there are no surprises. If he does a lot of business with the bank then he can even negotiate a few fractions of a percent on the exchange rate and have them waive or discount the transfer fees.

By the way - not the best time to send money as the US Dollar is quite strong.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I know a Nigerian prince who can help you. Let me know and I will forward you the e-mail.
Thanks. They’re in Zamunda, which is Nigeria’s biggest rival. Will have to pass.

Reaction Score
Buy crypto.
Then cash in what you need here in the USA as you need it. Minor fees and it spends the same everywhere.
If you -do my advice would be convert your money over a period of a few months to avoid buying on an uptick in the market.

Reaction Score
Check monito.com they will give you a few options and what's the least expensive

Reaction Score
Citibank , Bank of America, or Chase. If over $10 k US , split the wires ( taxes)

Transferwise is great as well.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Most bank wire transfer fees for foreign wires are between $25 - $60 incoming/outgoing
Its the exchange fee that is the real issue
Also there are some countries on the prohibitive list - better check
Good Luck

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Honestly there are no ideal options and you're bound to lose a nice chunk of cash on fees and exchange rates. I use Transferwise as its easy and the rates tend to be the most competitive. Usually the likes of WU, MoneyGram are the worst options - that's why they target migrant workers and are all over poor neighborhoods.

Best is for FIL to get a exact quote from his local bank on what the exchange rate will be and the transfer fees so there are no surprises. If he does a lot of business with the bank then he can even negotiate a few fractions of a percent on the exchange rate and have them waive or discount the transfer fees.

By the way - not the best time to send money as the US Dollar is quite strong.
IDK, I heard moneygram is very fast as it is using Ripple and has a very low cost

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Citibank , Bank of America, or Chase. If over $10 k US , split the wires ( taxes)

LOL. Love the boneyard, terrible advice mascherading as a hot tip. Hint: splitting payments to stay below $10k looks like a drug money wire and will surely raise flags.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My family is receiving a gift from FIL in asia. Transferwise is not an option, not available. Speed of money transfer is really not important. I am trying to get cost estimates for WU but they're giving me a hard time since I'm in the US and need the rates/fees in the reverse direction. I'm trying to research wire transfer but the problem will be in my family just accepting whatever fee/rate is applied at their bank. Does anyone have experience/recommendations on this?
I get paid from overseas entities in Israel, India, China and Japan by wire transfer all the time. I used to get charged a fee of $50 which I charged back to the client.

Reaction Score
LOL. Love the boneyard, terrible advice mascherading as a hot tip. Hint: splitting payments to stay below $10k looks like a drug money wire and will surely raise flags.
I'm not doing Estate Planning / Probate Law on the Boneyard. I get paid for that. Nobody other than yourself thought I was recommending counting out $9, 999.00 multiple times at the same location, with the same teller/ clerk, on the same day, at the same institution.

Last edited:

huskypantz

Reaction Score

From what I can find, I only need to file form 3520 if it's over $100k - total is less. And it's not subject to tax. I will probably file the form anyways if I'm even allowed to.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Thanks. They’re in Zamunda, which is Nigeria’s biggest rival. Will have to pass.

1585516848240.png

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Check monito.com they will give you a few options and what's the least expensive
This looked great, but of course they don't transfer funds in that direction. Thanks

Reaction Score
From what I can find, I only need to file form 3520 if it's over $100k - total is less. And it's not subject to tax. I will probably file the form anyways if I'm even allowed to.
North of 16k you'll be able file the 3520 form.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom