transfer soap opera questions. | The Boneyard

transfer soap opera questions.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
did corey and sool stay local for a reason?
did akok go to gtown for some supposed 'big man' reputation school?
did jalen head for the sun becuz he had enough of the northeast?
did rj and tyrese hang it up mebbe thinking the BE might be tougher next season to get noticed?
of course, i do not know any of these answers. that's why i asked.

part deux - why did the new guys come here? what made this the place for them?
more things i don't know.

Reaction Score
I think rj and Cole left because they are tired of college and are older and want to start their professional lives and are clearly ready for adulthood.

No idea what happened with Floyd but it’s strange. I think we will eventually get some good intel on that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
did akok go to gtown for some supposed 'big man' reputation school?
did jalen head for the sun becuz he had enough of the northeast?
did rj and tyrese hang it up mebbe thinking the BE might be tougher next season to get noticed?
of course, i do not know any of these answers. that's why i asked.

part deux - why did the new guys come here? what made this the place for them?
For the answer to these and other burning questions, check out the hottest new CBB podcast - Husky Boyz!

Reaction Score
My read on Floyd and Diggins is this:

Hurley challenged the two of them like they've likely not been challenged before, and they both made a decision that they could receive substantial playing time elsewhere without having to run through some 'prove it' system that does not award playing time so much as it rewards playing time. Whether they are successful in their respective quests remains to be seen. I think it's a fair assumption to make that the head coaches at both UMASS and PC are under substantial pressure to win and neither will have the time nor patience to deal with transfers walking in with a sense of absolute entitlement.

We'll see how this turns out. But I think it's fair to say both guys are gonna need to make sure they're coming to their new homes with a substantial attitude adjustment else the result will be exactly the same (e.g. Javonte Brown-Ferguson's playing time/complete and utter lack thereof at TAMU).

IMO this is one of the potential 'curse' sides of the transfer portal at the recruit level-even if you're not a five star recruit, you can take action to exert similar leverage as a 5-star recruit-'You better play me, coach, because I'm one of the best here (points to rankings) and if you don't think so I'll find at least 10 others that do.'

Had this been me, I like to think I would have stuck and stayed and made it pay. But I don't know what voices these dudes have in their ears, either, telling them they're too good to sit etc.

Separately - and this is the weird stuff I get up to on idle weekends - how awesome would it be if a coach, after a 5 game or so losing streak, put their name in the transfer portal? It would be a gag obviously but you want to talk about something that could completely break the tension that's be it. Create a whole separate profile, etc. I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thinkin mebbe Corey and Sool just likin the playin time at PC and UMass more than at UConn.
akok likin the same at GTown plus the educatin.
jalen mebbe at the right level of ball for his game.
rj and tyrese not youngins any more and graduits time to move on.
new dudes likin playin time available and hurley's tude.
don't think any of us know the answers though.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sool fell in love with the weather, but wanted things a bit cooler to balance a coach who runs hotter.

Floyd also loved the New England weather, but wanted to be a little further from home to balance out feeling closer to his family by going to his dad's alma mater.

Thanks for asking.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

Hurley challenged the two of them like they've likely not been challenged before, and they both made a decision that they could receive substantial playing time elsewhere without having to run through some 'prove it' system that does not award playing time so much as it rewards playing time. Whether they are successful in their respective quests remains to be seen. I think it's a fair assumption to make that the head coaches at both UMASS and PC are under substantial pressure to win and neither will have the time nor patience to deal with transfers walking in with a sense of absolute entitlement.

We'll see how this turns out. But I think it's fair to say both guys are gonna need to make sure they're coming to their new homes with a substantial attitude adjustment else the result will be exactly the same (e.g. Javonte Brown-Ferguson's playing time/complete and utter lack thereof at TAMU).

IMO this is one of the potential 'curse' sides of the transfer portal at the recruit level-even if you're not a five star recruit, you can take action to exert similar leverage as a 5-star recruit-'You better play me, coach, because I'm one of the best here (points to rankings) and if you don't think so I'll find at least 10 others that do.'

Had this been me, I like to think I would have stuck and stayed and made it pay. But I don't know what voices these dudes have in their ears, either, telling them they're too good to sit etc.

Separately - and this is the weird stuff I get up to on idle weekends - how awesome would it be if a coach, after a 5 game or so losing streak, put their name in the transfer portal? It would be a gag obviously but you want to talk about something that could completely break the tension that's be it. Create a whole separate profile, etc. I'd love to see it.
this seems to place it all on the players in ur speculation.
and this, 'Had this been me, I like to think I would have stuck and stayed and made it pay.' is ridiculous. what's ur ambition in this life, to get a gold watch for time served?
and of course, this '(e.g. Javonte Brown-Ferguson's playing time/complete and utter lack thereof at TAMU),' is just plain wrong.
mr brown went from playing a grand total of 4 minutes here, to playing over 200 for A&M and starting in 11 games. how'd he do when compared to, say, one of danny's favs? let's check.
tyler played 668 minutes, while grabbing 54 rebounds, 13 assists, 14 steals and 9 blocks.
javonte played 220 minutes, while grabbing 51 rebounds, 11 assists, 5 steals and 9 blocks.
plus, A&M had a better year than we did.
we don't know why it happened for the transfers, but we'll be able to see who made the right move in the fullness of time - the players or the coach. we do know that danny failed, hollywood, on his polley 'plans.'
brown has lots of time left to pan out, and joshy nailed the move.

Reaction Score
It's a good show, but I think it's missing a love interest. I'm thinking something like When Harry Met Sally.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Where does the award vs reward fit in with Gaff this past season?
Attitude adjustment? please tell what inside info you are privy that would explain the need for an attitude adjustment. Were these two in DH's doghouse?
DH is under far more pressure than both Cooley and Martin to win. Two trips to the dance and coming home with two empty cards will make a coach do anything to win. It is DH that doesn't have time to lose - Cooley is coming off a strong season (plus the powers at PC will pay Cooley whatever it takes to keep him) and Martin comes with a big time reputation of success and is at UMass to rebuild - neither have to worry about job security.

Reaction Score
Where does the award vs reward fit in with Gaff this past season?
Attitude adjustment? please tell what inside info you are privy that would explain the need for an attitude adjustment. Were these two in DH's doghouse?
DH is under far more pressure than both Cooley and Martin to win. Two trips to the dance and coming home with two empty cards will make a coach do anything to win. It is DH that doesn't have time to lose - Cooley is coming off a strong season (plus the powers at PC will pay Cooley whatever it takes to keep him) and Martin comes with a big time reputation of success and is at UMass to rebuild - neither have to worry about job security.
Hurley is under more pressure, huh? He is shepherding the return to the Big East from the AAC, reshaping an ENTIRE PROGRAM and just now getting his first teams with a plurality of his recruits. I don't like some of ways he either does/doesn't manage his roster and games but I'm also not a basketball coach so I defer to his judgment. Cooley has been at PC for like 15 years-totally different boat than DH.

The coach is under ZERO pressure as far as his job is concerned. Straight up ZERO. He's got at least another 5-6 years if even needs that much runway before his seat gets warm. Time to wake up and face facts.

Reaction Score
this seems to place it all on the players in ur speculation.
and this, 'Had this been me, I like to think I would have stuck and stayed and made it pay.' is ridiculous. what's ur ambition in this life, to get a gold watch for time served?
and of course, this '(e.g. Javonte Brown-Ferguson's playing time/complete and utter lack thereof at TAMU),' is just plain wrong.
mr brown went from playing a grand total of 4 minutes here, to playing over 200 for A&M and starting in 11 games. how'd he do when compared to, say, one of danny's favs? let's check.
tyler played 668 minutes, while grabbing 54 rebounds, 13 assists, 14 steals and 9 blocks.
javonte played 220 minutes, while grabbing 51 rebounds, 11 assists, 5 steals and 9 blocks.
plus, A&M had a better year than we did.
we don't know why it happened for the transfers, but we'll be able to see who made the right move in the fullness of time - the players or the coach. we do know that danny failed, hollywood, on his polley 'plans.'
brown has lots of time left to pan out, and joshy nailed the move.
That gold watch line is pretty funny. And if that's how I viewed the world I wouldn't have accomplished a damn thing in life and would likely have transferred halfway through freshman year after I had a disagreement with my advanced calc professor over a quiz grade.

Of course I stuck around and saw it through and wound up graduating SCL and speaking on graduation day. So go figure. Oh, and I didn't get a gold watch but I did get a pretty spiffy Rolex Sea Dweller and a pretty damn good job for my troubles.

Re: Gaffney-if you want to call DH out on anything having to do with TG then you call him out on refusing to run players out of the program. That's suggestive of admirable character but in this cutthroat business it isn't gonna get results. I think he's learned his lesson.

But the bottom line with Floyd and Diggins is they did not want to wait and work enough to get better, AS ADJUDGED BY THE HEAD COACH, not a random poster on some fan message board (raises hand).

Neither of these dudes were can't miss five stars and (I'll throw the dice here) are extraordinarily unlikely to ever play in the NBA. But even handing that level of recruit playing time right off the hop doesn't always work out - see Memphis.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
That gold watch line is pretty funny. And if that's how I viewed the world I wouldn't have accomplished a damn thing in life and would likely have transferred halfway through freshman year after I had a disagreement with my advanced calc professor over a quiz grade.

Of course I stuck around and saw it through and wound up graduating SCL and speaking on graduation day. So go figure. Oh, and I didn't get a gold watch but I did get a pretty spiffy Rolex Sea Dweller and a pretty damn good job for my troubles.

Re: Gaffney-if you want to call DH out on anything having to do with TG then you call him out on refusing to run players out of the program. That's suggestive of admirable character but in this cutthroat business it isn't gonna get results. I think he's learned his lesson.

But the bottom line with Floyd and Diggins is they did not want to wait and work enough to get better, AS ADJUDGED BY THE HEAD COACH, not a random poster on some fan message board (raises hand).

Neither of these dudes were can't miss five stars and (I'll throw the dice here) are extraordinarily unlikely to ever play in the NBA. But even handing that level of recruit playing time right off the hop doesn't always work out - see Memphis.
Straight bull-ish.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The coach is under ZERO pressure as far as his job is concerned. Straight up ZERO. He's got at least another 5-6 years if even needs that much runway before his seat gets warm. Time to wake up and face facts.

Not remotely accurate.

The seat gets warm next year if he doesn’t start winning in the postseason.

This isn’t Providence. You don’t get a decade to do something.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

u forgot cook and javonte in ur lazerlike analysis.
u forgot danny's absolute fail on typo.
u forgot joshy's absolutely brilliant move to vamoose, cuz you know, danny told him that there's no room at the inn. hoosy also had a better year than us. they must know sumthin, cuz currently they're as high as #2 in the way too early polls.
u forgot that since mr penny took over at memphis, they draw aboot 50% more folks to the games than we do. (note: am i supposed to be adding memphis to the yard list of teams and coaches that im expected to hold blind hate for, cuz homey don't play that game, and my list remains empty.)
u forgot that jalen, sool, cook, and corey ended up at locales that are mostly lateral moves for them, and provide more than enough exposure to hopefully get to where they want to be. smart moves.

remember that folks who use all caps in their writing have a desperate need to be heard, as they believe that their words aren't powerful enough to communicate their thoughts.

6 year free pass for danny? u be trippin. homey don't play that game, either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley is under more pressure, huh? He is shepherding the return to the Big East from the AAC, reshaping an ENTIRE PROGRAM and just now getting his first teams with a plurality of his recruits. I don't like some of ways he either does/doesn't manage his roster and games but I'm also not a basketball coach so I defer to his judgment. Cooley has been at PC for like 15 years-totally different boat than DH.

Just fyi, Cooley has been at PC since 2011. Sure, he had a great season last year (Sweet 16), but aside from a 13-13 season two years ago, he’s done pretty well; after going 15-17 in his first year, he’s had five 20-win seasons (plus two 19-win and one 18-win season), before last year’s 27-6. Overall, he’s 221-141 at PC. So, no, I’m not seeing much pressure there.

Reaction Score
Just fyi, Cooley has been at PC since 2011. Sure, he had a great season last year (Sweet 16), but aside from a 13-13 season two years ago, he’s done pretty well; after going 15-17 in his first year, he’s had five 20-win seasons (plus two 19-win and one 18-win season), before last year’s 27-6. Overall, he’s 221-141 at PC. So, no, I’m not seeing much pressure there.
Not to mention, in the five years immediately before Cooley, under Tim Welsh and Keno Davis, PC had 3 losing seasons. And his contract was extended in 2019, for ten years, for $30-40 million. So, probably the only pressure is on Cooley and how much to ask Providence for when he’s again a candidate for another HC job.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
let's hope this isn't how the danny show ends up.

'One day you'll wake up
In the present day
A million generations
Removed from expectations of
Being who you really want to be.'

'Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage,
And it seems like you're the only person
Sitting in the audience?'

chanting, crystals, and burning sage are hokey.
and, since we've gone all 'mercenary ball' now, there is no more need for mama's cookies and cute notes. hookers don't care aboot cookies, they only in it for the cash.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
as a fan of the 'team' this makes me cranky.
here's a list of players who could have been on our squad next season, but for whatever reasons, are not:
jalen
cook
sool
javonte
rj
tmart
corey

add some other guys (adama, jax, hawk, samson, ritchie, donovan), and id be as happy as a pig in mud to take my chances next year. that's 13, which i believe to be sort of the usual amount for players on a squad.
id guess hurley jr and garry would be out of a job. big whoop.

Reaction Score
as a fan of the 'team' this makes me cranky.
here's a list of players who could have been on our squad next season, but for whatever reasons, are not:
jalen
cook
sool
javonte
rj
tmart
corey

add some other guys (adama, jax, hawk, samson, ritchie, donovan), and id be as happy as a pig in mud to take my chances next year. that's 13, which i believe to be sort of the usual amount for players on a squad.
id guess hurley jr and garry would be out of a job. big whoop.
You forgot Bouk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom