Transfer Portal - Wild Wild West | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal - Wild Wild West

Reaction Score
Height is not the real measure of what a player can do. Jumping ability, aggressiveness, shooting skills are also important. I have watched more than a few tall women reach for rebounds rather than jumping. That is a product of being able to get away with that in HS where height was enough. Remember not too long ago UConn had a 6'6" post who did not do the tip at the beginning of games because a 5'11" player could out jump her (yeah I know that is likely rare).

Reaction Score
I don’t see Geno taking a poll of his players on whether they are ok with Cardoso coming or not.
He really can't, at least with everybody. If Cardoso coming doesn't affect your playing time (the guards), you could easily be in favor, but if your playing time is jeopardized, and perhaps even going from the rotation to DNP coach's decision as a result, of course some won't be. You could sample a few, but asking that question to Liv, Amari, Aubrey, Mir and Piath would likely insure a unanimous affirmative answer has close to a zero probability IMO.

So I agree I don't see a polling of at least all of the players, a few maybe, but regardless with this kind of roster when you bring in one more top level talent, someone will be pissed off, there is no getting around that.

Reaction Score
He really can't, at least with everybody. If Cardoso coming doesn't affect your playing time (the guards), you could easily be in favor, but if your playing time is jeopardized, and perhaps even going from the rotation to DNP coach's decision as a result, of course some won't be. You could sample a few, but asking that question to Liv, Amari, Aubrey, Mir and Piath would likely insure a unanimous affirmative answer has close to a zero probability IMO.

So I agree I don't see a polling of at least all of the players, a few maybe, but regardless with this kind of roster when you bring in one more top level talent, someone will be pissed off, there is no getting around that.
You take someone like Kamilla. You think Dawn wouldn't take her even with Boston. You better hope she doesn't end up at South Carolina.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Three ways to look at it....
Top teams will add experience to an already loaded squad.
A new coach like Kim Mulkey or Shea can quickly load up and not have to go through a rebuilding process.
Or it will be detrimental to college Basketball as very few players will stay the course.
And finally I am wandering what is taking Kamilla Cardoso so long to announce her choice....it is elementary Ms Cardoso UCONN is it...the pinnacle.
After watching the UCONN game video with Syracuse, I came away with the my original impression. Ms. Cardoso is tall. I am not sure she would like being pushed by Geno. Geno got the big he needs, Dorka.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Height is not the real measure of what a player can do. Jumping ability, aggressiveness, shooting skills are also important. I have watched more than a few tall women reach for rebounds rather than jumping. That is a product of being able to get away with that in HS where height was enough. Remember not too long ago UConn had a 6'6" post who did not do the tip at the beginning of games because a 5'11" player could out jump her (yeah I know that is likely rare).
If by chance those 5'11" and 6'6" players you were referring to are Gabby Williams and Azura Stevens keep in mind that Azura was not a regular starter during that season. Azura only started a handful of games mostly due to KLS injury. Azura's first start I believe was at UCLA and she did jump center in favor of Gabby and easily won the opening tap over Billings. This game was memorable for two reason it was KLS homecoming and she was unable to play and Kobe and Gigi were sitting court side.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Taylor Mikesell who played at Oregon for one year is in the portal. Too slow and did not play defense in the PAC 12. Graves can now look in the portal for a upgrade.
Mikesell will be a good test case of the rules regarding a second transfer. Unless she has completed her degree in 3 years, which is entirely possible, she will have to sit a year or submit a waiver request.

Reaction Score
If by chance those 5'11" and 6'6" players you were referring to are Gabby Williams and Azura Stevens keep in mind that Azura was not a regular starter during that season. Azura only started a handful of games mostly due to KLS injury. Azura's first start I believe was at UCLA and she did jump center in favor of Gabby and easily won the opening tap over Billings. This game was memorable for two reason it was KLS homecoming and she was unable to play and Kobe and Gigi were sitting court side.
I don't know her chances of starting when she gets here, but if she does Ayanna Patterson might be jumping C. She has Gabby's hops and another 4 inches.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Three ways to look at it....
Top teams will add experience to an already loaded squad.
A new coach like Kim Mulkey or Shea can quickly load up and not have to go through a rebuilding process.
Or it will be detrimental to college Basketball as very few players will stay the course.
And finally I am wandering what is taking Kamilla Cardoso so long to announce her choice....it is elementary Ms Cardoso UCONN is it...the pinnacle.
There have been some UConn recruits who had made a commitment to UConn but was asked by the coaches to hold up announcing it until a certain time. I think by now she knows where she wants to go, UConn or wherever.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Centipede says to his wife, "Hurry up."
Wife replies, "I'll be ready in a sec, just let me lace up my shoes."

Women sometimes take longer...but they're always worth it.
Just spitballing here. I’m guessing that since Cardoso entered the portal she’s been inundated with coaches contacting her. I’m also guessing that if UConn expressed any interest it may not have been in the form of a firm scholarship offer, but rather as an invitation to visit Storrs, see the campus and meet with the coaches.

Cardoso is a good student and final exams at the Cuse don’t end until May 21. Perhaps Cardoso is actually going to take her time, finish her coursework, subsequently travel to several schools to meet with their coaching staffs and then, and only then, make an informed decision about which school to transfer to.

PvP

Reaction Score
So I have a question.....when Cardoso stated that she would be going to UCONN or Auburn, does that mean that she has an offer from both or is she basically hoping?

I have read that she has a goal of playing in the W. If so she has to choose the Huskies over Auburn (38 UCONN players vs. 9 Tigers in WNBA history and among those 38 are among the most dominant players in W history. There simply is no comparison.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So I have a question.....when Cardoso stated that she would be going to UCONN or Auburn, does that mean that she has an offer from both or is she basically hoping?
Where did she say that?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just spitballing here. I’m guessing that since Cardoso entered the portal she’s been inundated with coaches contacting her. I’m also guessing that if UConn expressed any interest it may not have been in the form of a firm scholarship offer, but rather as an invitation to visit Storrs, see the campus and meet with the coaches.

Cardoso is a good student and final exams at the Cuse don’t end until May 21. Perhaps Cardoso is actually going to take her time, finish her coursework, subsequently travel to several schools to meet with their coaching staffs and then, and only then, make an informed decision about which school to transfer to.
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Reaction Score

I have read that she has a goal of playing in the W. If so she has to choose the Huskies over Auburn (38 UCONN players vs. 9 Tigers in WNBA history and among those 38 are among the most dominant players in W history. There simply is no comparison.
She didn’t say that publicly. That came from a rinky dink, rumor spreading site called World Exposure Report.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

She will get to the WNBA regardless of which school she transfers to.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ah.....OK.....thanks

She may get to the W regardless but not with the same preparation....
Obviously UConn has sent many alumna to the W, and a good number of those have excelled. Certainly Geno and his staff deserve much credit for that, but some of it is because many of the best prospects ended up at UConn. How many of those type of players have come thru Auburn? I'd guess virtually none. There are too many very good players in the W who didn't attend UConn to buy into the idea that somebody has to choose UConn or they are limiting their potential as a pro. There is more than one good path in life.

Reaction Score
Ah.....OK.....thanks

She may get to the W regardless but not with the same preparation....
Sorry for intervening this thread, what preparation you expecting she will get for one year of service, if she does come here? At 6'-7" the WNBA will welcome her with open arms, all the preparation she really needs.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sorry for intervening this thread, what preparation you expecting she will get for one year of service, if she does come here? At 6'-7" the WNBA will welcome her with open arms, all the preparation she really needs.
One year of service? What does that mean?

Reaction Score

I don’t think she said that. It sounds like it came from the rumor mill.

Reaction Score
One year of service? What does that mean?
Now that you mention it, she will be a sophomore next season. If she does come to UConn she will indeed have more years, my bad, I was thinking she was a grad transfer and not the case.

Reaction Score
Obviously UConn has sent many alumna to the W, and a good number of those have excelled. Certainly Geno and his staff deserve much credit for that, but some of it is because many of the best prospects ended up at UConn. How many of those type of players have come thru Auburn? I'd guess virtually none. There are too many very good players in the W who didn't attend UConn to buy into the idea that somebody has to choose UConn or they are limiting their potential as a pro. There is more than one good path in life.
quite true but note that WNBA coaches and players have universally raved about how well prepared and hard working UConn rookies are compared to the average first year player..............that's coaching.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
quite true but note that WNBA coaches and players have universally raved about how well prepared and hard working UConn rookies are compared to the average first year player..............that's coaching.....
I would also add that while Cardoso has a pretty good skill level right now as a freshman, she has tremendous, as yet unrealized, potential. If you watch the Syracuse-UConn game, Cardoso makes a number of plays, but there are also many times when she is caught either out of position or just standing around watching.

Whether at UConn or somewhere else, Cardoso will need to improve her conditioning, learn to play hard all the time and better understand where she needs to be on the court to fully impact a game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issue with WNBA is that the rookies get a very narrow window to impress - the league is packed with talent and teams have short benches. There are just not that many slots available in the WNBA. There are of course a few can't miss college kids, but there are a whole lot of top 25 team starters that struggle (and fail) to make an impression on the W. The advantage Uconn players have is the practice habits and basketball IQ that Geno and Co. instill in them - that gets them drafted and gets them longer looks in very crowded training camps because they can quickly assimilate what is being thrown at them.

A player like Jessica Moore or Ashley Battle for example can have a longer career in the W than some much more touted players from other programs.

There are a number of very good college players that need all the time they can get in college to be 'seasoned' before trying to stick in the WNBA. Cardoso has a lot of talent and a physical presence that WNBA will crave, but she needs training and maturation before she would have a chance in the W. She could I am sure find a pro club somewhere in the world, but that is a route that is much tougher with much less practice time than finding a good college program. She has a ton of college programs she can consider (I am sure she is being courted by everyone) and a number of them would be capable of advancing her towards a pro career. I think Uconn is at the top of that list, but it isn't the only one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom