Transfer portal = game changer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal = game changer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hear you. It’s complicated.

On one hand, there’s no way to justify the old system. Coaches, atheletic departments, and networks had all the power in what evolved into a multi billion dollar business, and the athletes had none. So on that basis, yes, yes, yes, for the ability to transfer and NIL.

But as the business model evolves more and more toward a professional sports league (free agency and big contracts) it gets away from the concept of a bunch of local kids playing for state U, gelling and doing something special. Something gained and something lost.

We seem to have absolutely hit the sweet spot this year between our own local recruits, and transfers so the inclination is to be all in for the new paradigm, but as the arms race escalates I’m not sure where we end up. Something gained (short term) and something ?
Well said. It's not ever gonna be 100% great or 100% bad. Just something we have to get used to.
When you mention that the power was one sided in a mulltibillion dollar business, you're right and it was patently unfair to the player. But sometimes we forget the real people behind the billion dollar Industry: Us.
As long as it doesn't effect the fan experience, I'm fine with it. I know it sounds selfish but I don't watch sports so players can make max $ and have ultimate mobility. So far though, in its infancy, NIL and transfer portal hasn't changed our fan experience. Actually the opposite for all of us right now, as I can't remember a better collective mood among the base.

Reaction Score
The transfer portal (and the accompanying cancelation of the requirement to sit out a year when transferring) is the precursor to free agency. Well funded programs will use the portal to lure the best talent with dollars. Programs without funding will lose their best players to programs that have the most dollars to offer. The best talent will concentrate with the best funded programs to an even greater extent than it already is.

Reaction Score
The portal system.. Transfers within the same conferences..NIL opportunities are part of the new normal. Like it or not. Strategic recruiting with portal adds along with a strong recruiting culture-ie. Fab Five for 2023.. When combined with those NIL opportunities.. Seems like a pretty strong template for success.

Make a friend of change.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I am currently a fan of the portal because, whether through shrewd evaluation, luck, or a bit of both, this coaching staff happens to have hit a grand slam. My opinion is subject to change based on future events but Hurley seems like a pretty savvy guy in terms of assessing areas of need. I don’t expect we’ll ever become a Miami or a Tennessee trying to entice transfers with huge NIL deals.

I don't think you have to worry about that. Based on Hurley's comments, he doesn't seem to be a big fan of the portal. He didn't have a choice this offseason, but the fact that he brought in five freshmen next year tells me he doesn't plan on using the portal very much moving forward.

Reaction Score
I don't think you have to worry about that. Based on Hurley's comments, he doesn't seem to be a big fan of the portal. He didn't have a choice this offseason, but the fact that he brought in five freshmen next year tells me he doesn't plan on using the portal very much moving forward.
UCONN will use the portal as need dictates. We may be in a position where it will be more important to retain our recruited talent with NIL money than it will be to bring in talent through the portal. I think we have a fighting chance to do that with our basketball programs. Although I do see a scenario where the money gets so out of hand that the handful of programs with enormous booster pockets attract the talent they want either by recruiting it or attracting it through the portal. That day might be right around the corner.

Reaction Score
The transfer portal (and the accompanying cancelation of the requirement to sit out a year when transferring) is the precursor to free agency. Well funded programs will use the portal to lure the best talent with dollars. Programs without funding will lose their best players to programs that have the most dollars to offer. The best talent will concentrate with the best funded programs to an even greater extent than it already is.
What is going to change that makes the situation more than it already is? The penalty for switching (sitting out) is already gone and NIL already exists. What factor will change that makes it more enticing for players to leave?

Reaction Score
What is going to change that makes the situation more than it already is? The penalty for switching (sitting out) is already gone and NIL already exists. What factor will change that makes it more enticing for players to leave?
I don't think the NIL implications are anywhere near fully developed. I don't think it will take very long to fully develop and when it does I think the money is going to be shocking, especially with the BiG and SEC getting ready to dominate all the major media markets. I'm a broken record on this, but we are heading to full on professional athletics with what will essentially be free agency.....Wild West time.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley was kind of forced into using the portal this year, when he'd previously expressed disdain for it and preferred continuity to build program culture, but he's used it expertly this year and has clearly demonstrated he has the willingness and ability to make it work going forward.

Reaction Score
Need to trust the transfer portal process. Sad to see some players go at the end of the year but it’ll give the staff an opportunity to reload
Seems this brings things even closer to the "rooting for the name on the front of the uniform." Ch ch ch changes

Reaction Score
The portal helps the haves at the expense of the have nots. UConn is definitely one of the haves and has benefited tremendously from this system. But I do have some sympathy for the teams that will be gutted at the end of every season.

Reaction Score
The portal helps the haves at the expense of the have nots. UConn is definitely one of the haves and has benefited tremendously from this system. But I do have some sympathy for the teams that will be gutted at the end of every season.
It goes both ways though. Some of the have nots (I think you're referring to mid-majors) will lose their really good players to high majors but they'll also be gaining high major players who didn't quite pan out at their high major or want a starring role where they can showcase their abilities.

Reaction Score
It goes both ways though. Some of the have nots (I think you're referring to mid-majors) will lose their really good players to high majors but they'll also be gaining high major players who didn't quite pan out at their high major or want a starring role where they can showcase their abilities.

That's kind of the way I see it. I think the elite talent gets concentrated where the money is and the rest can get spread around where playing time might be available.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I see three players who left a Northwestern team that went 15-16 overall and 7-13 in conference last year and are now contributing and playing quality minutes for NC, Duke and Indiana. Is that a reflection of better players around them now or an indictment of Chris Collins?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Actually, the opposite. It will be harder for top programs to stockpile talent because players are going to want to play. A 4 star will not hesitate to enter the portal after freshman year if his team recruits a 5 star to his position.

It will really put a premium on talent evaluation because holding onto depth will become very difficult.

Reaction Score
Actually, the opposite. It will be harder for top programs to stockpile talent because players are going to want to play. A 4 star will not hesitate to enter the portal after freshman year if his team recruits a 5 star to his position.

It will really put a premium on talent evaluation because holding onto depth will become very difficult.

So is UCONN a have or have not? The portal definitely helped UCONN this year. I think it all depends on the quality of the head coach. Talent has and will continue to run away from someone like Ewing, and talent will gravitate to a head coach with a winning track record who is known for developing players (AKA Dan Hurley)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So is UCONN a have or have not? The portal definitely helped UCONN this year. I think it all depends on the quality of the head coach.
I think it helps more when you don't have 5 recruits coming the next year.

Reaction Score
Are we talking about the same Virginia team? They're currently shooting 45% from 3, #2 in the country
Yes. I noticed while watching them play they didnt take many but did hit at a good clip thats why their % is so high. If its open theyll take it but theyre constantly looking to get to the basket. If they get into a game where they fall behind by a good margin theyre not going to start bombing away. It appears thats just not how they play.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So is UCONN a have or have not? The portal definitely helped UCONN this year. I think it all depends on the quality of the head coach. Talent has and will continue to run away from someone like Ewing, and talent will gravitate to a head coach with a winning track record who is known for developing players (AKA Dan Hurley)

Talent is not Ewing's problem this year. He doesn't have a great team, but they don't suck either. Ewing should be doing better. It could be year to year. Last year Cooley was a genius with the portal, this year he whiffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom