Transfer portal = game changer | The Boneyard

Transfer portal = game changer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Something gained, something lost. Nice to have the hired guns taking us to the next level, but one of the things I’ve always liked was watching guys develop (or not) for better or worse. Victory might have been less frequent but somehow more sweet.

Reaction Score
Need to trust the transfer portal process. Sad to see some players go at the end of the year but it’ll give the staff an opportunity to reload

Reaction Score
Something gained, something lost. Nice to have the hired guns taking us to the next level, but one of the things I’ve always liked was watching guys develop (or not) for better or worse. Victory might have been less frequent but somehow more sweet.
I didn't like the idea of it to begin with because it seems like free agency but I also never liked watching guys like Gaff, Rahsool and all the previous guys play at a level that was too high for them or ride pine for 4 years. Every once in a while a kid who doesn't look good enough sticks it out and becomes a gem but a lot kids sit their whole college careers or play and never really develop in the situation they're stuck in.

It gives the players the same option coaches have always had and it helps teams that could be stuck being really bad for a couple of seasons because they're stuck with kids who can't cut it for whatever reason.

I wasn't much of a fan of it until I saw it in action and wasn't much of fan of NIL. Things still need to be ironed out but this should strengthen the college basketball with more great players sticking around and more teams having a chance to get better. The most important thing is it should make Overtime Elite and the like pretty much obsolete.

Reaction Score
If not for the portal, sub-par guard play would have crippled this year's team, instead we have a legit chance at a final four.

It's been so successful that you almost want to save at least one scholarship every year for portal usage. It's a convenient way to rejuvenate a weak spot on the team with an experienced veteran.

Reaction Score

Times have changed, Top high school kids are nothing more than hired guns too. If we win a Big East title and get to a final four this year and Joey California plays a big role he (Joey C) will have had a far more impactful UCONN career than Bouknight or Drummond.

To this day Henefeld is an all time UCONN fan favorite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its fantastic. It is progress toward a more just system, gives players a lot more power and freedom, and also increases competitiveness and adds a new layer to recruiting/offseason so its more entertaining.

What's not to like

Reaction Score
If not for the portal, sub-par guard play would have crippled this year's team, instead we have a legit chance at a final four.

It's been so successful that you almost want to save at least one scholarship every year for portal usage. It's a convenient way to rejuvenate a weak spot on the team with an experienced veteran.
This ×100. We would've been screwed.

I suspect they'll always save at least 2 scholarships for the portal. Highly successful programs won't live and die by it but they'll use it for a couple needs.

Reaction Score
There is a middle.

I am currently a fan of the portal because, whether through shrewd evaluation, luck, or a bit of both, this coaching staff happens to have hit a grand slam. My opinion is subject to change based on future events but Hurley seems like a pretty savvy guy in terms of assessing areas of need. I don’t expect we’ll ever become a Miami or a Tennessee trying to entice transfers with huge NIL deals.

Reaction Score
I didn't like the idea of it to begin with because it seems like free agency but I also never liked watching guys like Gaff, Rahsool and all the previous guys play at a level that was too high for them or ride pine for 4 years. Every once in a while a kid who doesn't look good enough sticks it out and becomes a gem but a lot kids sit their whole college careers or play and never really develop in the situation they're stuck in.

It gives the players the same option coaches have always had and it helps teams that could be stuck being really bad for a couple of seasons because they're stuck with kids who can't cut it for whatever reason.

I wasn't much of a fan of it until I saw it in action and wasn't much of fan of NIL. Things still need to be ironed out but this should strengthen the college basketball with more great players sticking around and more teams having a chance to get better. The most important thing is it should make Overtime Elite and the like pretty much obsolete.

I hear you. It’s complicated.

On one hand, there’s no way to justify the old system. Coaches, atheletic departments, and networks had all the power in what evolved into a multi billion dollar business, and the athletes had none. So on that basis, yes, yes, yes, for the ability to transfer and NIL.

But as the business model evolves more and more toward a professional sports league (free agency and big contracts) it gets away from the concept of a bunch of local kids playing for state U, gelling and doing something special. Something gained and something lost.

We seem to have absolutely hit the sweet spot this year between our own local recruits, and transfers so the inclination is to be all in for the new paradigm, but as the arms race escalates I’m not sure where we end up. Something gained (short term) and something ?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I am currently a fan of the portal because, whether through shrewd evaluation, luck, or a bit of both, this coaching staff happens to have hit a grand slam. My opinion is subject to change based on future events but Hurley seems like a pretty savvy guy in terms of assessing areas of need. I don’t expect we’ll ever become a Miami or a Tennessee trying to entice transfers with huge NIL deals.
It’s both for sure. Hurley did a fantastic job. But by being both, 1/2 is also luck. As you mentioned: in an NIL world ( which we are not heavy hitters in) I’m uncomfortable with it being a model. And Hurley is too or we don’t have that 23 class coming in.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
And if this teams keeps this level of play up with these transfers, it makes for easy future pitches to any transfer Hurley wants.

It makes it easy to pluck out any transfer you want when you’re competing for Final Fours and putting guys like Joey Calcaterra in a position to make money overseas.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s both for sure. Hurley did a fantastic job. But by being both, 1/2 is also luck. As you mentioned: in an NIL world ( which we are not heavy hitters in) I’m uncomfortable with it being a model. And Hurley is too or we don’t have that 23 class coming in.
I think this year is working out for us because we aren’t led by transfers which is how it should be. They can fill in a hole here and there, but the main guys should be your own guys. Last year that wasn’t the case. This year we have a lot of our own guys in Andre, Sanogo, Hawkins, and the freshman stepping up and leading in a big way.

Unless you’re counting Joey C our only real big time transfer is Newton (who even as an anti transfer guy I was excited to get).

Reaction Score

I like Virginia but their lack of depth and shooting is going to cost them. The transfer portal is a good thing. Its like cooking a great steak. Sure the steak is the star of the show but you need to add some seasoning and you have to cook up just right.

Reaction Score
I like Virginia but their lack of depth and shooting is going to cost them. The transfer portal is a good thing. Its like cooking a great steak. Sure the steak is the star of the show but you need to add some seasoning and you have to cook up just right.
Are we talking about the same Virginia team? They're currently shooting 45% from 3, #2 in the country

Reaction Score
You can’t get to know a student athlete in the transfer portal like you can while recruiting them over years, or at least, months. I think you’re right about it being a bit of luck. These guys fit in perfectly and the chemistry with the rest of the team was probably assessed by the coaching staff but still is probably a bit luck given that the portal is a quick process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom