Transfer portal and NIL | The Boneyard

Transfer portal and NIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
On3 released an article today about the impact of NIL on the transfer portal with it opening up today. Here’s a crazy quote.

“Sources told On3 that high majors aim to field a roster with a payroll between $1 and $3 million, with the top spenders pushing more than $4 million.”

Reaction Score
On3 released an article today about the impact of NIL on the transfer portal with it opening up today. Here’s a crazy quote.

“Sources told On3 that high majors aim to field a roster with a payroll between $1 and $3 million, with the top spenders pushing more than $4 million.”

That's nothing new. Nova spent $3 million this past season and it got them nothing, all their transfers had much worse seasons than they did before they got to Nova.

Reaction Score
They had a similar article last week with many quotes from existing coaches about the process. If you didn't read it, it was interesting.

“I would say, to really compete in the portal/NIL era, as a Power Six school you got to have $1.5 million or more,” a coach in the SEC said.

Furthering that thought, “A full starting five, to be serious, cannot be done for less than $1,000,000,” a Big 12 coach said.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They had a similar article last week with many quotes from existing coaches about the process. If you didn't read it, it was interesting.

“I would say, to really compete in the portal/NIL era, as a Power Six school you got to have $1.5 million or more,” a coach in the SEC said.

Furthering that thought, “A full starting five, to be serious, cannot be done for less than $1,000,000,” a Big 12 coach said.

Something has to be done about this. This sucks because NIL is not the issue here. It’s the lack of structure around it that is causing these crazy issues.

Even in professional sports players have contracts that keep them in a place for a certain amount of time. Having players renegotiate every year (which they have every right to do as long as the rules allow for it) is not sustainable or good for anyone.

Also, at what point does booster fatigue kick in and they get tired of funding these teams with no ROI?

Reaction Score
Kansas is in on the Penn grad student and Kansas is still playing.... That's gotta make current players feel great. The last thing a bad Kansas team needs is distracted players.... :)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
290 players already in the transfer portal with entire teams in there. It's amazing this is being allowed while the tournament hasn't even started yet.

College sports are a huge mess.
Putting aside the larger portal issues, the idea that the portal should open before the NCAA tournament is so incredibly stupid, I'm struggling to accept that it's the reality.

Reaction Score
That’s a player that the staff needs to contact asap and try to get him on for next season. I’m sure he would love to play with the #1 team in the country
This is the problem with the timing of the portal. I’d bet Hurley and the staff are 150% locked in on the tournament and won’t pick up a phone until the season is over

I can’t imagine any reason why it shouldn’t be changed until after the title game

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score

Had offers from some really good schools, many still playing. Includes Texas, Duke, Kentucky, Florida, Kansas, Tennessee, UConn..

He's got to be a legit option for us too. Dad is going to want him to go to the school that has a string of multiple 40% 3 ballers and runs an NBA offense. NIL should be less of a priority here.

Didnt see him poppin' loose, but he could be a perfect piece to reload.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Had offers from some really good schools, many still playing. Includes Texas, Duke, Kentucky, Florida, Kansas, Tennessee, UConn..

Only 1 attempt per game, but 50% from the line is surprising.

Reaction Score
Something has to be done about this. This sucks because NIL is not the issue here. It’s the lack of structure around it that is causing these crazy issues.

Even in professional sports players have contracts that keep them in a place for a certain amount of time. Having players renegotiate every year (which they have every right to do as long as the rules allow for it) is not sustainable or good for anyone.

Also, at what point does booster fatigue kick in and they get tired of funding these teams with no ROI?
Fatigue is setting in around the nation. Well heeled friends that have been major donors to Florida told me a couple weeks ago they're done with their involvement because of this phony NIL money.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Fatigue is setting in around the nation. Well heeled friends that have been major donors to Florida told me a couple weeks ago they're done with their involvement because of this phony NIL money.
I don’t blame them. It was a fun idea at first, but how much money can you really waste on these things continuously?

Eventually it has to go to the schools paying them.

Reaction Score
Putting aside the larger portal issues, the idea that the portal should open before the NCAA tournament is so incredibly stupid, I'm struggling to accept that it's the reality.
I definitely agree with the sentiment and posted something similar in a different thread. The thing is, what do you think would happen if "the portal" weren't open yet once 275+ teams ended their seasons?

The portal would happen, just behind closed doors.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Probably need to just put a date in place that’s the Tuesday or Wednesday after the championship. Make it mandatory that “legal” contact can only take place starting on that date.

Reaction Score
I don’t blame them. It was a fun idea at first, but how much money can you really waste on these things continuously?

Eventually it has to go to the schools paying them.
People that donate and see their program win aren't going to have any issues with it. People that pay and watch their team lose all the time will stop donating fast.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I definitely agree with the sentiment and posted something similar in a different thread. The thing is, what do you think would happen if "the portal" weren't open yet once 275+ teams ended their seasons?

The NBA figures out a way to do Free Agency with a starting point.

Reaction Score
So my kids played club soccer (like AAU in basketball) and there used to be a rule that tryouts had to be after the season in order to not disrupt current teams. Then one league changed to have tryouts before the season. Soon all followed suit in a competitive battle for talent. Now tryouts are several weeks before the end of the season, there are league games remaining, away tournaments etc. The teammates know who's leaving, yet they have to go through the motions. Some kids even check out and stop showing up. It completely destroys team morale. It all comes down to stupidity, competition and people in power positions being completely out of touch with the athletes. The portal is another example.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

This is where I'm at. It's not like moving the deadline back will stop tampering.

Reaction Score
any idea what UConn's NIL for the men's team is?

Reaction Score
He's got to be a legit option for us too. Dad is going to want him to go to the school that has a string of multiple 40% 3 ballers and runs an NBA offense. NIL should be less of a priority here.

Didnt see him poppin' loose, but he could be a perfect piece to reload.
Danny needs to sign him up before Friday. Get it done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom