Transfer Portal and NIL | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal and NIL

Reaction Score
The recent series of posts about LSU v. UConn, plus the short thread about regulation of NIL, has reminded me of the vast changes that have come to college basketball as the results of the transfer portal and NIL. I apologize in advance for this long message.

In examining the ESPN listing of the top 35 players in the transfer portal, it has become clear that many universities have become increasingly dependent on it to replenish depleted stock. The fact that LSU won a national championship primarily with transfer players may well become the new model for basketball success. The addition of Morrow and Van Lith to an already loaded LSU squad puts an exclamation point to the importance of the transfer portal. The UConn men also depended a great deal on transfers this past championship season. According to my admittedly incomplete figures, LSU, NC, Texas A & M, Louisville, Ole Miss, and Virginia Tech each added two quality players to their teams, while Mississippi State added three. Louisville, DePaul, Duke, Oregon, NC State, and Arizona each lost two players.

There is no doubt in my mind that the opportunities NIL offers to certain aggressive teams is a major factor in many (most?) of these transfers. Just look at the success the University of Miami had in both the men’s and women’s programs last season. The NIL opportunities offered by an important Miami donor are largely responsible for the success of the two teams.

College players should be able to profit from the use of their names, images, and likenesses, instead of the profits going to the ravenous NCAA and the Alabamas and Notre Dames of the collegiate world. But we should also consider the costs of this vast change.

First of all, the women’s game is beginning to look a lot more like one-and-done men’s basketball, not with the short college careers of the stars, but the transformation of rosters from season to season. As indicated, the UConn men would not have won their fifth national championship without transfers and transfers Dorka Juhasz and Lou Lopez Senechal were essential parts of the Huskies team for 2022-23. Both, however, were graduate transfers and graduate transfers are the exceptions rather than the rule in the transfer portal.

Second, the ease of transfer and the prospect of the profits from NIL may well lead to an even blatant two tiered basketball system than has previously existed between the traditional powers in the big conferences and everyone else who would be overjoyed just to win a game in the tournament. How many really outstanding players at mid-level Division 1 teams, like many in the Big East, want to remain when visions of sugar plums dance through players heads by seductive NIL deals being offered to them?

Although our Huskies have had players transfer in and out, the team has always been composed primarily of players who commit for four years. The current roster does not contain a single transfer and the success of the team over the years has been based on outstanding recruiting and excellent coaching.

Can UConn, a national power in a midlevel conference, continue to prosper in this new basketball environment? Were the results at the NCAAs in 2023 an anomaly or a portent? Can teams that focus on recruiting, retaining, and coaching continue to win national championships in this new environment? What will happen when Geno retires? We shall see.

Reaction Score
Money corrupted sports before it was legal to be paid and I don't see things getting better if changes aren't made. In order for you Name, Image or Likeness to be valuable you should at least have done something at the collegiate level to earn it. On this forum we talk about WBB so can you imagine what this is doing for the rich schools in football and men's basketball?

I really appreciate how hard these athletes work to get to the level they are and the time commitment for a college athlete. I want them to be rewarded financially for those efforts but what I see right now doesn't look like a great solution in the long run for the athletic programs of most colleges and universities. Most of us love watching college sports and would hate to see something come along intended on making it better just to learn it was the beginning of the end of what attracted us to college sports in the first place.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think that a certain percentage of top recruits will always want to go where the best coaching and the best "family like" atmosphere is but sadly the power of NIL dollars has already clearly taken control over the recruiting/transfer process and I'm afraid it's only going to get worse...........next, I assume we will see the one-and done in WBB and then they will have achieved parity with the men's game for better or for worse....

Reaction Score
The NIL era has begun to issue in "legalized cheating"!
Instead of under-the-table payments for recruitment of players, a booster at a school can just dangle $$$ to a player and call it NIL money!
I think we'd all be surprised how many schools have boosters doing this!
UCONN with Geno and CD would NEVER allow Husky Boosters to shill a player(s)! Can you picture CD talking to a player in the Portal "come to UCONN and we'll guarantee this much in NIL deals?"
But their team has to go against schools that do allow it! It's an un-level playing field!
The NCAA has opened a Pandora's box that won't be fixed anytime soon. It's one thing to take a transfer out of the portal it's another to contact a player(s) and tell them what NIL DEALS are available if they enroll at their school!

Reaction Score
Money corrupted sports before it was legal to be paid and I don't see things getting better if changes aren't made. In order for you Name, Image or Likeness to be valuable you should at least have done something at the collegiate level to earn it. On this forum we talk about WBB so can you imagine what this is doing for the rich schools in football and men's basketball?
It is already happening big time. Recall Alabama's Nick Saban accusing his former assistant and current Texas A&M Head Coach Jimbo Fisher of buying the top recuiting class of '21-22! As for the truly larger picture of money talking loudly in sports, the biggest current example is the Saudi sponsored golf tour merging with the PGA. Very sadly it speaks to our current culture where money truly does talk, and loudly at that!
I really appreciate how hard these athletes work to get to the level they are and the time commitment for a college athlete. I want them to be rewarded financially for those efforts but what I see right now doesn't look like a great solution in the long run for the athletic programs of most colleges and universities. Most of us love watching college sports and would hate to see something come along intended on making it better just to learn it was the beginning of the end of what attracted us to college sports in the first place.
Totally agree!

Reaction Score
We all worry about NIL and the Portal ruining the women's game, and I think what we're mainly worried about is roster stability and competitive recruitment. I don't think any of us would care much about NIL if rosters remained relatively stable, even if recruitment began to seem a little lopsided. Recruitment has always been a bit lopsided, with some teams having substantial recruiting advantages either because of the academic reputation of the school or the record of success of the program. NIL could exaggerate this lopsidedness, or it could even things out. I think it's too early to tell which way it will go.

So, it looks to me like our main concern is really the explosion of transfers in the last few years. This is partly the result of relaxed eligibility rules, but also partly due to the Covid extension. I suspect that once the Covid extension expires after next year, the transfer portal will not be quite as volatile as its been.

I know rumors have been flying about boosters paying students to choose one school or another under the guise of NIL. Of course, this is not a new idea and boosters have engaged in such mischief many times in the past. But it is worth pointing out that the NCAA already has rules in place against this sort of thing. This means either enforcement is not now able to rein it in, or the rumors are false. I'm inclined to lean to the latter answer. It's easy to claim that LSU is breaking the rules somehow, but from what I gather their program is compliant. Athletes share in an NIL pool generated by merchandise concessions, which means they all get something. A few bigger names are free to seek independent NIL deals outside this arrangement. Not only does this not seem corrupt to me. It even seems like it may offer lesser programs a template for making their programs more attractive for recruiting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The NIL era has begun to issue in "legalized cheating"!
Instead of under-the-table payments for recruitment of players, a booster at a school can just dangle $$$ to a player and call it NIL money!
I think we'd all be surprised how many schools have boosters doing this!
UCONN with Geno and CD would NEVER allow Husky Boosters to shill a player(s)! Can you picture CD talking to a player in the Portal "come to UCONN and we'll guarantee this much in NIL deals?"
But their team has to go against schools that do allow it! It's an un-level playing field!
The NCAA has opened a Pandora's box that won't be fixed anytime soon. It's one thing to take a transfer out of the portal it's another to contact a player(s) and tell them what NIL DEALS are available if they enroll at their school!
Again, the NCAA fought against NIL bitterly. It was the U.S Supreme Court that decided the matter.

Reaction Score
I worry about players who will find a way to spend some of their NIL money and get caught doing it...I don't know much about what the rules are, but money has been the cause for many bad decisions, whether by the recipient or their family.

Reaction Score
We all worry about NIL and the Portal ruining the women's game, and I think what we're mainly worried about is roster stability and competitive recruitment. I don't think any of us would care much about NIL if rosters remained relatively stable, even if recruitment began to seem a little lopsided. Recruitment has always been a bit lopsided, with some teams having substantial recruiting advantages either because of the academic reputation of the school or the record of success of the program. NIL could exaggerate this lopsidedness, or it could even things out. I think it's too early to tell which way it will go.

So, it looks to me like our main concern is really the explosion of transfers in the last few years. This is partly the result of relaxed eligibility rules, but also partly due to the Covid extension. I suspect that once the Covid extension expires after next year, the transfer portal will not be quite as volatile as its been.

I know rumors have been flying about boosters paying students to choose one school or another under the guise of NIL. Of course, this is not a new idea and boosters have engaged in such mischief many times in the past. But it is worth pointing out that the NCAA already has rules in place against this sort of thing. This means either enforcement is not now able to rein it in, or the rumors are false. I'm inclined to lean to the latter answer. It's easy to claim that LSU is breaking the rules somehow, but from what I gather their program is compliant. Athletes share in an NIL pool generated by merchandise concessions, which means they all get something. A few bigger names are free to seek independent NIL deals outside this arrangement. Not only does this not seem corrupt to me. It even seems like it may offer lesser programs a template for making their programs more attractive for recruiting.
I was going to say the same thing. Recruiting has always been a little lopsided. Even before NIL schools like UConn were going to get players that schools like Central Connecticut have no hope of getting. NIL exaggerates that and concentrates the number of fortunate schools.

I don't have too much of a problem with NIL. If a kid can make a buck (just like everyone else) good for them. I less of a fan of the portal, but I will concede that it does one good thing, everyone gets 1 waiver. Prior to the portal only certain players involved with certain schools were blessed with a waiver. At least now that's gone.

The problem is putting NIL and the portal together. Now it gets ugly. Yes, it's always been happening behind closed doors. Remember Marcus Camby admitting he received $70,000 when he was at UMass (that used to be a nice chunk of $$ back in the day). Now it's becoming a national pastime.

Reaction Score

History may not repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme! I hope it does not get to " Money talks...everybody 'transfers' "

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom