Do you like the transfer portal or not

Votes: 130 77.8%
  • Dislike

Votes: 37 22.2%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Transfer portal.
Like it or dislike it.
I know, I know "it isn't that simple" but neither is any mvp voting, grammy voting, favorite pizza place or class president vote: you can only vote for one:This isnt Norway.

Reaction Score
For a big time program like ours, it only serves as a benefit. We have a great coaching staff and culture which helps us retain our players while at the same time we're able to reload our roster with experienced talent immediately without having to rebuild. For smaller and less successful programs it's an absolute disaster however.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I dislike it. I think it is immensely bad for college basketball. Fortunately, Hurley has figured out how to use it to our advantage. I'm glad of that but it doesn't change my opinion of the portal in general.

Reaction Score
I dislike it. I think it is immensely bad for college basketball. Fortunately, Hurley has figured out how to use it to our advantage. I'm glad of that but it doesn't change my opinion of the portal in general.

How is it bad for college basketball? I would argue forcing kids to stay in situations that they don’t want to be in is worse.

Reaction Score
I chose dislike.

I love college basketball in general, not just UConn.
I think it sucks for mid-majors, whose success against the big boys in the tourney is the heart and soul of the sport.
I don't like greed.
I don't like scatterbrained, whimsical decision making.
I especially don't like "well my teams good so screw everybody else"

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It's not perfect, but I fundamentally like giving kids more freedom. Suits have gotten rich off athletes for decades and it's great that now athletes are able to graduate with some money in their pocket. I do wish the final result wasn't destined to be a complete wild west situation with kids transferring every year etc, but given a binary choice I would have to support the right of athletes to do what is best for them.

Reaction Score
I’m torn on it because I like aspects of it and dislike aspects of it. Im internally debating if players should be limited to using the portal a certain number of times.

Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with the transfer portal. People should be able to come and go where they want. The issue is NIL. What they need to do is not put a penalty on transferring, but incentivize staying in some way. Give them some kind of escalating salary based on how many years they’ve been at the school?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
For anyone saying that mid majors are dead etc, just last year we had a MWC and a C-USA team in the Final Four, plus an Ivy League team in the Sweet 16 and a 16 seed beat a 1 seed.

The sweet 16 was extremely chalky this year, but we also had Yale, Duquesne, Oakland, Grand Canyon, and James Madison in the round of 32 which is pretty good for small conferences. A bad team from a major conference also made a cindarella run with I believe a single transfer from a mid major team two years ago in Burns, so not exactly a poster child of draining talent from mid majors.

I need to see more than one chalky Sweet 16 before I begin to think that the chaos of March is being killed by the portal.

Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with the transfer portal. People should be able to come and go where they want. The issue is NIL. What they need to do is not put a penalty on transferring, but incentivize staying in some way. Give them some kind of escalating salary based on how many years they’ve been at the school?
True. But we can't pretend the two aren't linked. In their pure form, both would be fine. But....

I had no problems with transferring before NIL existed. Those kids left for different reasons.

I have nothing against NIL. But it's not name, image and likeness at all. It's a loophole to give rich boosters a clear path.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Transfer portal.
Like it or dislike it.
I know, I know "it isn't that simple" but neither is any mvp voting, grammy voting, favorite pizza place or class president vote: you can only vote for one:This isnt Norway.
I think we all like it when it helps us and hate it when it hurts us. We have a good coach. He makes sure it doesn’t hurt us. So I generally like it.

Reaction Score
I hate it for fans of mid majors but as a UConn fan it plays perfectly to our advantage. As long as we’re in the position to benefit from it I will like it

Reaction Score
I am a like with the way Hurley uses the portal thus far. If UConn continues to hold onto and develop the traditionally recruited players while filling holes with transfers it works for me. If UConn becomes what Duke is this year with 5 in the portal along with losing 3 to the draft or graduation then both recruiting and the portal become player rental agencies. I know Spencer is an outlier, but I also like portal guys that have 2+ years of eligibility.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is it bad for college basketball? I would argue forcing kids to stay in situations that they don’t want to be in is worse.
Coupled with NIL it has created de facto free agency.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t like it. I don’t like that coaches can’t depend on kids being with them for multiple years to mold and develop them.

I don’t like that as fan bases we can’t grow with players as well because they may leave out while bringing in the next best thing.

I also don’t like how it excuses coaches from doing their job of developing players. Because as soon as it gets hard they can just bring in a ready made player instead of doing one of the most important parts of college coaching to someone who may already be there.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I like the balanced approach we have so far. Our entire team isn’t transfer portal guys. We actually won twice with majority traditional recruiting.

Reaction Score
I dislike it because for the majority it’s a cash grab and absolutely destroying the mid major teams. That being said , it does work. Newton is the prototypical reason to like it. A kid with 0 recruits and only 1 offer to play at ECU , works his ass of and proves himself and gets a shot.

Reaction Score
No issue with the portal itself. My son was a D1 athlete and used the portal as a grad transfer. Made it much easier to make contact with schools, etc

What I think is troubling is the free agency aspect, once they got rid of the 1 year sit period, and NIL. I don’t blame these athletes looking to get paid, especially those who aren’t NBA prospects.

So far it hasn’t adversely impacted UConn, but I’m sure it will eventually. DH isn’t going to bat 1.000 when it comes to buying into the culture.

Reaction Score
I hate it for fans of mid majors but as a UConn fan it plays perfectly to our advantage. As long as we’re in the position to benefit from it I will like it
Until we're not. Remember we were heading towards trouble during the KO years.

Reaction Score
What I think is troubling is the free agency aspect, once they got rid of the 1 year sit period, and NIL. I don’t blame these athletes looking to get paid, especially those who aren’t NBA prospects.
They were always getting paid. It was called a full college scholarship - probably worth over 175K. What college student wouldn't appreciate that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom