Traffic on Saturday.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Traffic on Saturday....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You know who doesn't understand the concept of bigtime football? You.

You know what we have in common with those schools? The field dimensions. The number of officials on the field. The footballs and field goals are the same size. We use the same rule book. That's about it.

If UConn was "bigtime football", it wouldn't matter what else was going on, the stadium would be full. Marathon? No problem. County Fair? So what. Convention? Doesn't matter. Bigtime football doesn't have to schedule their games around events, or demand others schedule events around UConn games.

Bigtime football programs have no problem getting fans in the seats regardless of what else is going on in because it's a different culture. Fans of a bigtime program would have no problem selling their tickets if they decided to run the marathon or go support someone who chose to.

So explain why UConn in 2004 was in a much better position (conference opportunity, crowds, optimism, TV, etc) than it is now in 2013. UConn needs to pay a lot more attention to about 1001 details so that they don't continue the decent. As for your quote . . . "You know what we have in common with those schools? The field dimensions. The number of officials on the field. The footballs and field goals are the same size. We use the same rule book. That's about it." UConn must have been playing on a smaller field, with fewer officials, with a different rule book when they beat Notre Dame and South Carolina, huh? Talk about moronic, U.

Reaction Score
Stay home. There will be traffic.

Don't mind the traffic ( just like they don't out at Penn State on football Saturdays). Just hope that about 40K+ of its for the UConn game, after that the Marathon can have what's left.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
i'm pretty sure that it is a good sign when the city you live in/near has multiple big events in the same weekend (which has already happened multiple times this season).

Reaction Score
i'm pretty sure that it is a good sign when the city you live in/near has multiple big events in the same weekend (which has already happened multiple times this season).

It is. Just need to make sure that 40K individuals are at the game, filling the stadium to capacity plus SRO. Once that happens . . . sure these other activities can only serve to distract folks from their disappointment at not being able to get into the game.

Reaction Score
So explain why UConn in 2004 was in a much better position (conference opportunity, crowds, optimism, TV, etc) than it is now in 2013. UConn needs to pay a lot more attention to about 1001 details so that they don't continue the decent. As for your quote . . . "You know what we have in common with those schools? The field dimensions. The number of officials on the field. The footballs and field goals are the same size. We use the same rule book. That's about it." UConn must have been playing on a smaller field, with fewer officials, with a different rule book when they beat Notre Dame and South Carolina, huh? Talk about moronic, U.

Pssssstttt..........he was talking about the differences outside of the lines, not on the field.

Reaction Score
Wonder if this kind of planning takes place in the land of the big schools. Do they run the Norman Marathon on game day at Oklahoma. Or the Gainesville Marathon when Florida is at home. Connecticut is really struggling to understand this concept of big time football.

Yeah they actually do. You ever been in a college town on the weekend in fall? Lots of rock concerts, fun runs, bike races, art festivals, rennaissance fairs, you name it.

Just look at Austin, Texas. They have the Austin City Limits Music Festival (two weekends) and the Formula One race on the same weekend as Texas home games.

The fact that we have a marathon and a football game on the same day is just an indication that CT is vibrant.

Reaction Score
So explain why UConn in 2004 was in a much better position (conference opportunity, crowds, optimism, TV, etc) than it is now in 2013. UConn needs to pay a lot more attention to about 1001 details so that they don't continue the decent.

Because of the Hartford ING Marathon, isn't in obvious?

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Here's what we need to do to be big time. In all of these places, kids' games are scheduled on Sundays during home games. I'm missing the USF game because my son has a game at 1 PM. In Tuscaloosa, Norman, etc......the Pop Warner leagues schedule the games around home games. What am I gonna do? My son comes first. It just really sucks, because he loves coming to the games too. University can get the word out to these leagues and use it to get more of these kids into the Rent with their families. Just one small thing.......

I find myself in a bind. I have a three and two year olds. In coming years they will be involved in youth sports. Maybe early on, I can get by doing everything/all the running around except during football season and still go to games. As they get older and want me there, I cannot disappoint them. I'm not big time enough for that.

Reaction Score
Thanks to the original poster for the heads up. I know a guy that gave up his seats to run in the thing, but for some reason I didn't correlate it to a potential traffic problem. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I find myself in a bind. I have a three and two year olds. In coming years they will be involved in youth sports. Maybe early on, I can get by doing everything/all the running around except during football season and still go to games. As they get older and want me there, I cannot disappoint them. I'm not big time enough for that.

I won't miss my kid's game to attend a UConn game. I'd rather be labeled a bad fan vs. a bad dad.

Thankfully this is the first conflict this year and I was able to go to the first 3 home games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

True dat. I would have liked to have gone to see They Might Be Giants in Bushnell Park but it was during the Michigan game. Still won't stop the haters from saying there is nothing to do in the area.

Reaction Score
I'll actually be hitting both events Saturday. Wife is running the half marathon portion, then I'll be heading to the rent. I actually like the idea of both events the same day it gives people a lot to do.

Reaction Score
Unless I have a real problem during my run, I'll be doing the half marathon (too fat for the full) and then heading to the Rent. I'm coming from NJ with my wife who runs the full so the marathon brought in at least 2 extra fans that wouldn't have otherwise made the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom