Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Trade in the summer

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Okay Boneyarders,
Normally this would be an off-season post, not coming off a great game the night before but here we go. Brought my car, a 2014 Subaru Legacy with about 67,000 miles for an oil change to the Subaru dealership in Vernon. I needed front brakes too and I checked off to do the 65,000 service.

I was expecting about 250 for the brakes, 75 for the oil, maybe 300 for the routine maintenance. The brakes came to $500?!??(front only remember) And they wanted $800 to do a long list of things that were totally overpriced as well including $400 spark plugs.

Some of the stuff I’d have to do to keep the car going (differential fluid, CVT flush) but I was thrown for a loop cost wise.

Here’s the issue, I was planning to trade this car in over the summer after a pay bump but this has me thinking I should do this sooner rather later. If I do get the work done I’ll go to a smaller place and hopefully pay more like $500.
Do I pay to fix the car and keep it for years to come, trade it now? Or pay to fix and still trade over the summer?

Reaction Score
Okay Boneyarders,
Normally this would be an off-season post, not coming off a great game the night before but here we go. Brought my car, a 2014 Subaru Legacy with about 67,000 miles for an oil change to the Subaru dealership in Vernon. I needed front brakes too and I checked off to do the 65,000 service.

I was expecting about 250 for the brakes, 75 for the oil, maybe 300 for the routine maintenance. The brakes came to $500?!??(front only remember) And they wanted $800 to do a long list of things that were totally overpriced as well including $400 spark plugs.

Some of the stuff I’d have to do to keep the car going (differential fluid, CVT flush) but I was thrown for a loop cost wise.

Here’s the issue, I was planning to trade this car in over the summer after a pay bump but this has me thinking I should do this sooner rather later. If I do get the work done I’ll go to a smaller place and hopefully pay more like $500.
Do I pay to fix the car and keep it for years to come, trade it now? Or pay to fix and still trade over the summer?
Just picked up a new car last month...inventory was limited and dealer wasn't willing to discount off sticker, but my prior lease was up and needed a car.

I would explore my purchase options first, then decide...if you can't get the car you want then it only leaves you one option if you want new wheels. MY assumption is inventory will be better in the summer.

Brakes have gotten more expensive as now they routinely change the rotors too. Maybe just change the pads (not rotors) and other necessary stuff at a smaller shop if you want to wait until summer?

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The brakes obviously include new rotors. Pads aren't expensive. I'd suggest going to an independent mechanic and getting a new estimate. Dealers notoriously add on a bunch of crap you don't need. That car should go for a long time and is low mileage. We just traded my wife's 2013 Volvo with over 120k miles. Spark plugs you can almost certainly change yourself. Find a Youtube video and buy the right platinum plugs at Autozone or whatever. Those guys will help you. I flushed the transmission in my old Volvo S60, and while it saved a ton of money, it was a pain. Most transmission fluid flushes are not "required" because it is a sealed system. It's something they suggest for people who want to drive the car a long time.

So I'd get an estimate at an independent shop, then decide if you want to trade it in or not. I'd also check what is required and what is a "nice to do if you want the car to last for 200k miles".

Reaction Score
The brakes obviously include new rotors. Pads aren't expensive. I'd suggest going to an independent mechanic and getting a new estimate. Dealers notoriously add on a bunch of crap you don't need. That car should go for a long time and is low mileage. We just traded my wife's 2013 Volvo with over 120k miles. Spark plugs you can almost certainly change yourself. Find a Youtube video and buy the right platinum plugs at Autozone or whatever. Those guys will help you. I flushed the transmission in my old Volvo S60, and while it saved a ton of money, it was a pain. Most transmission fluid flushes are not "required" because it is a sealed system. It's something they suggest for people who want to drive the car a long time.

So I'd get an estimate at an independent shop, then decide if you want to trade it in or not. I'd also check what is required and what is a "nice to do if you want the car to last for 200k miles".
Need to read the manual about the plugs... some cars require lifting the engine for access. Most cars are good for 100k easy though.

If you got 67k on the original front brakes, that's great.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Need to read the manual about the plugs... some cars require lifting the engine for access. Most cars are good for 100k easy though.

If you got 67k on the original front brakes, that's great.
Funny enough I was sitting in the Mazda dealership getting my wife’s car serviced and heard them quote someone $250 for new plugs.
The subie has a “boxer engine” and CVT which may make basic maintenance more challenging/costly/necessary but that price seemed silly.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
On their list was $130 for a brake fluid swap out. Has anyone ever replaced their brake fluid? Even if some of their list was 100% necessary they lost me in the random .

Reaction Score
Funny enough I was sitting in the Mazda dealership getting my wife’s car serviced and heard them quote someone $250 for new plugs.
The subie has a “boxer engine” and CVT which may make basic maintenance more challenging/costly/necessary but that price seemed silly.
I knew it had a boxer, but I'm not sure which engines/cars need that lift to get access to the last plug. I'm sure some car guy can fill us in.

What about head gaskets? I've heard of issues with Subarus and head gaskets for more many years. Was that ever reconciled?

Reaction Score
Stop going to the dealer and find a reliable local mechanic and you will pay much less for the same or better quality work.
Amen. Shout out to Frank and Tony at Interlagos in Norwalk!

Local mechanics don't have management breathing down their necks like some of the dealer shops our there.

Reaction Score
On their list was $130 for a brake fluid swap out. Has anyone ever replaced their brake fluid? Even if some of their list was 100% necessary they lost me in the random .
We have 2012 Toyotas (Sienna and Rav4), both with mid 60k miles, and I did pay for a radiator flush last year on the Sienna. Just seemed reasonable to do. Lots of short trips.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I knew it had a boxer, but I'm not sure which engines/cars need that lift to get access to the last plug. I'm sure some car guy can fill us in.

What about head gaskets? I've heard of issues with Subarus and head gaskets for more many years. Was that ever reconciled?
My first post college car was a 98 forester (in 2011) that I got with 100k and drive problem free until honest to god almost exactly 150k and the head blew. I think around 2002 they they fixed this. Every Subaru from like 96-2002 blew the head gasket at ~150k

Reaction Score
Get 2 more estimates if you can. Might end up saving a few hundred bucks.

Never go to the dealer for maintenance. Find a good local mechanic that markets to families and professionals.

IMO there are very few times you shouldn't pay for repairs (or do it yourself... oil and brakes aren't hard. Spark plugs can suck depending on the make/model).

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Posting before reading thread:

Find a reputable local guy to do all the work. Trade it in next summer and highlighting this work was done.

I just had front brakes done for under 300. Great guy in Ivoryton. Maintenance is where dealerships make their money.

Reaction Score
A full synthetic oil change can be had for under $50 with coupon at some franchise place. They will do a multipoint inspection including brakes and they will mic the rotors. They want to sell services too but if they think the brakes aren't bad...a good local mechanic is a valuable part of a household support system.

Reaction Score
Just traded my 2010 Legacy in with 112, 000 miles on it last month. Still ran great, 28MPG average. Did all the maintenance with the dealer except brakes and tires. Yeah they were high with those repairs. Everything else they handled, never a problem with the car.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We got lucky when a guy that does auto repairs moved in across the street. Just did my front brakes for $200. Replaced the radiator in the Outback for cheap and had it going again in a couple of hours. I don't mind the tow trucks in the middle of the night. Adds a little juice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
$500 for new rotors and pads, or new pads and machined rotors is a bit high but 67k is a reasonable amount of time for that maint.

Brake fluid flush and fill at 67k seems like BS.

Plugs at 67k? BS for sure. 100k is norn nowadays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom