OT: - Track: high school 100 meters record....not quite | The Boneyard

OT: Track: high school 100 meters record....not quite

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
On April 27 a high school kid from Texas ran a 9.98 time in the 100 meters....fastest ever.
But it was wind-aided so it is not the official record....still and all that time might well get you a medal in the Olympics.
No research on this question: If I tell you that the young man is very unusual in some way within the elite sprinting category, can you hazard a guess as to why that is so? Again...no research!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Bonus question: I saw a tape of this race. Unless there was some camera trickeration the boys ran from right to left. The camera was on the same side of the field as the fans....the kids started to the right of the camera and finished to the left.

I have been to many track meets and I don't believe I have ever seen that before in the 100. The runners always go from left to right.

I think I know what might have caused this aberration. Got any ideas of your own?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He also won the State Long Jump with 25' 4.5". And ran a 44.74 anchor leg in the 4 x400.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
He did indeed...I think I heard that he is headed to Georgia next year. National type all-star track meets this summer...usually in June...might push him to huge feats.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He did indeed...I think I heard that he is headed to Georgia next year. National type all-star track meets this summer...usually in June...might push him to huge feats.
Supposedly he's only started running the 100 about a year ago.

And he's run a 20.58 200.

Reaction Score
His anchor leg in the 4x400 meter Texas championship race was something to see. He took the hand off a good 10 meters behind and ran the guy down and blew by him. Now the team they beat had the second fastest time in the Nation and even though they beat that time they still lost. I think the guy he caught ran a 47-48 something leg, which is really fast for high school.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
His anchor leg in the 4x400 meter Texas championship race was something to see. He took the hand off a good 10 meters behind and ran the guy down and blew by him. Now the team they beat had the second fastest time in the Nation and even though they beat that time they still lost. I think the guy he caught ran a 47-48 something leg, which is really fast for high school.

It was shades of Courtney Okolo ...!! Did the same thing in 2012(?). Incredible come from behind

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was impressive. They had 4 of the top relay teams in the country at that meet.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If anyone is interested this kids name is Matthew Boling, and he is very good indeed. Run Forrest, run.

Reaction Score
Despite those eye-opening numbers, Bolling saved his most impressive performance for the 4x400. His team picked up the best time in the country at 3:10.56, thanks to a wild finish. Boling anchored the team and staged a furious comeback, passing multiple runners and making up a few seconds en route to the stunning win. He carried them with a 44.74.

Reaction Score
On April 27 a high school kid from Texas ran a 9.98 time in the 100 meters....fastest ever.
But it was wind-aided so it is not the official record....still and all that time might well get you a medal in the Olympics.
No research on this question: If I tell you that the young man is very unusual in some way within the elite sprinting category, can you hazard a guess as to why that is so? Again...no research!
you mean other than the obvious?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Is your speculation as to why they had them running backwards that they wanted the (2 m/s) wind at his back?

You can see that the lanes are marked in the normal direction.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Despite those eye-opening numbers, Bolling saved his most impressive performance for the 4x400. His team picked up the best time in the country at 3:10.56, thanks to a wild finish. Boling anchored the team and staged a furious comeback, passing multiple runners and making up a few seconds en route to the stunning win. He carried them with a 44.74.

What a race he ran! Just beautiful.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My nephew in Houston is in the same grade as him and actually competed against him in middle school. I'm told that he just recently went from good to otherworldly, a bit of a late bloomer physically. But he's extremely disciplined and hardworking.

At this rate we should expect to see him at the U.S. Olympic Trials a year from now.

Some interesting thoughts from Jeremy Wariner (former Olympian and Texas HS track great) on Boling's potential:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's a white boy. :eek:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It was an obvious answer to his 'difference' and 'obvious' was correct.

On the right to left direction: I bet the officials were hoping for a high school record given the quality of the field. Going against the wind....no shot. They were hoping for the 100 to be run when the wind-help was below the allowable speed. They got the great time....but the wind was too strong during the race to be official.
Make the Olympic team in 2020 next year after one year at Georgia? He'll be tons of fun to follow.
Tokyo....here he comes!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom