Tournament (Non-UConn) Thread - Sweet 16 | The Boneyard

Tournament (Non-UConn) Thread - Sweet 16

Reaction Score
Spreads -

UConn favored by 10. The next biggest spreads are Arizona (-7.5) over Clemson and Marquette (-6.5) over NC State. Smallest spreads are Iowa St (-2) over Illinois and Tennessee (-2.5) over Creighton. The rest are Houston (-4) over Duke, UNC (-4) over Alabama, and Purdue (-5) over Gonzaga.

The Sweet 16 is more coaching oriented as teams have several days to prepare for the matchup. That is one of the reasons I like Creighton over Tenn and Gonzaga to at least cover against Purdue. The Gonzaga team is a much different team than what UConn faced in December.

Reaction Score
Spreads -

UConn favored by 10. The next biggest spreads are Arizona (-7.5) over Clemson and Marquette (-6.5) over NC State. Smallest spreads are Iowa St (-2) over Illinois and Tennessee (-2.5) over Creighton. The rest are Houston (-4) over Duke, UNC (-4) over Alabama, and Purdue (-5) over Gonzaga.

The Sweet 16 is more coaching oriented as teams have several days to prepare for the matchup. That is one of the reasons I like Creighton over Tenn and Gonzaga to at least cover against Purdue. The Gonzaga team is a much different team than what UConn faced in December.
Iowa State-Illinois is going to be an amazing game of clashing styles to watch.

Reaction Score
Of course I’m going to watch the UConn game but tbh I’m most excited for Iowa St/Illinois and Tennessee/Creighton
On paper those feel like the most interesting games. I’m somewhat intrigued by Gonzaga/Purdue. Few gives them an advantage over Painter and they’ve got some depth in the front court. Not sure they have enough back court depth to keep up with Purdue but it will be a different challenge for Purdue.

Reaction Score
I know Houston just got taken to overtime and Duke romped, but I would take Houston ATS in this game -- Duke I feel needs a more free-flowing game than what Houston will allow.

Reaction Score
On paper those feel like the most interesting games. I’m somewhat intrigued by Gonzaga/Purdue. Few gives them an advantage over Painter and they’ve got some depth in the front court. Not sure they have enough back court depth to keep up with Purdue but it will be a different challenge for Purdue.
Maybe the hottest pick in my bracket is Gonzaga over Purdue, for no reason other than it’s Matt Painter vs. the month of March

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Of course I’m going to watch the UConn game but tbh I’m most excited for Iowa St/Illinois and Tennessee/Creighton

Houston/Duke is tasty too. UNC/Zona could be great in the elite 8.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Really incredible in retrospect that zero 1 seeds made the Elite Eight last year. Fewer upsets definitely makes for better second-weekend games.
Not sure what to make of Houston-Duke. Could make a strong case either way.

Reaction Score
Agree, but Purdue has been anything but a lock this season. Teams have successfully figured out the riddle to Edey several times this season.

Reaction Score
Maybe the hottest pick in my bracket is Gonzaga over Purdue, for no reason other than it’s Matt Painter vs. the month of March
Seems like a bad pick.

Purdue has impressed me more than any other team except UConn.

Their shooters get the shot off quick.

My strategy would be to let Edey get his, as long as Clingan isn't in foul trouble.

Purdue is putting people away with 3 pointers.

Block out on Edey, don't let him get easy rebounds.

Reaction Score
Agree, but Purdue has been anything but a lock this season. Teams have successfully figured out the riddle to Edey several times this season.
I could see Few and those bigs holding Edey well enough, I’m just not sure GU’s incredibly thin back court is going to be able to run with Purdue, who has a ton more depth there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Really incredible in retrospect that zero 1 seeds made the Elite Eight last year. Fewer upsets definitely makes for better second-weekend games.
Watch yourself. Last year's second weekend was great, one of my top five favorite ever.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure is that as much as we all love the upsets in the first two rounds... and no one loves them more than me... Mostly chalk getting through makes for a more intriguing and engaging 2nd weekend. Every one of the 8 games on Thursday and Friday have the potential to be good if not great games.

And if you watched San Diego State last night eviscerate Yale, they are more than capable of putting us into a life and death struggle right to the end on Thursday night. This may well be the most competitive slate of Sweet 16 games we have seen in quite a few years.

There is not one lower seed who is not fully capable of winning their Sweet 16 game. The lowest seed left is #11 N.C. State, and they have looked and played much better than their seed since the beginning of the ACC Tournament. Their guards plus D.J. Burns are almost guaranteed to give Marquette fits in that game.

This is a great slate of games coming up on Thursday and Friday, and obviously winning the next 4 games for anyone, including us, is going to take consistent, high level play over all 4 games. We will definitely have to earn each and every victory we get from here on out, as will everybody else.

Reaction Score
Statistically last year it was the worst group of one seeds in the last decade pre tournament. This year is one of the stronger groups.

Reaction Score
Statistically last year it was the worst group of one seeds in the last decade pre tournament. This year is one of the stronger groups.
During the season, there was a really big separation between the top 3 teams and the next 15, and then another big gap between them and the tier below that.

Besides Houston being taken to overtime, we've seen that born out here, where the top seeds have romped, the next tier were scarcely threatened (Creighton 2OT, Marquette close-ish against Colorado), and not much of the chase pack broke into the last 16.

Reaction Score
I find scheduling to be interesting heading into the Sweet 16. Some teams play on the Round of 32 on Saturday and then don't play the Sweet 16 game until Friday, while others play Round of 32 on Sunday and then have to play on Thursday. Like Gonzaga getting the 5 days off before playing Purdue. UConn only has the 3 days off (played on Sunday and then on Thursday), but the lack of travel is nice. SD St. played late on Sunday in Boise and then has to get to Boston for a Thursday game. For a team nursing injuries the extra day or two is significant.

Reaction Score
Do NIT games belong in this thread?

Ohio St/Georgia is a really fun game

Reaction Score
Really looking forward to the Houston-Duke match-up. The 40+ years of experience of Kelvin Sampson against the 2 years of experience and Scheyer. I am hoping that Houston's defense makes Duke's night a living hell and Scheyer has no answers. With the ending being Duke hugs and tears.

Reaction Score
Both Clemson and Arizona both have 4 of 5 starters that are Seniors or grad students. Experience > one and dones

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom