Tour de France off tto a fantastic start. | The Boneyard

Tour de France off tto a fantastic start.

Reaction Score
Cav, Sagan, Cav, Kittel. All the stars are coming out to play.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Team Tinkoff implosion in 3... 2... 1...

For those who don't follow cycling - this is a team the featuring aging star (and last major link to Armstrong's dirty era) Alberto Contador, that was bought by a Russian banker who liked to get his nose all up in the team's business. Think Russian version of Mark Cuban. When the collapse of gas prices hurt his business he decided to stop sponsoring the team at the end of this year. Inevitable situation.... all riders are basically openly auditioning for jobs with other teams. There will be veiled hostile comments on social media, and I might be tempted to place a small bet that it could come to blows between teammates on the bus or maybe even on the road.

While this is entertaining, it's also true that the sport is just unstable in terms of sponsors. BMC will probably pull out of being the title sponsor of their team (home to Tejay Vangarderen) after 2017 so they're scrambling for sponsors. This is instability is bad for the riders and the uncertainty / pressure is a factor (not the only one) in cycling's problems with doping.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tour de France today (Friday) - LOL! What a joke.

Reaction Score
Cannot believe they didn't have the generators protected. How can it be that a person can walk up and unplug the generator and stop the entire race, while causing an injury and blown break away. Just wtf?
Today and tomorrow will shuffle the GC's to the front. Hope TJ can stick it out. Not his type of climbing but he should be able to hang close enough. NQ, AC and CF will be fun to watch.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Ooooof...

Reminiscent of the Great Orica Greenedge Bus Mishap of 2013
785829010.jpg

Reaction Score
The final 10K Sunday was insane.

Yeah, the hail and rain was nuts. I was hoping for a move from NQ but he never makes them. He needs a set of Kemba balls. I really want someone to seriously challenge CF. lots of attacks on CF but never from NQ and none were able to get separation. Was thinking all of those little attacks on him must have been exhausting and that NQ should just uncork one with 1k to go - but nothing. Easy to say from my couch but man I want some excitement this year. I hope it's not Froome protecting his lead the rest of the race and NQ sitting on his wheel content for the podium.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Time to get the idiotic motorbikes out of cycling.

One guy killed earlier this year, one guy left a vegetable and now today, the leaders knocked off their bike and the yellow jersey running up a mountain.

It's like the Super Bowl being interrupted by a lawn tractor.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
As @theraceradio points out - the finish was moved back off the top of Ventoux due to high winds (it's above the treeline, winds were forecast ~100 kph). As a result, idiots on the road within the last few km where there would normally be barriers. Still, even if the finish had been at its normal spot the crowded road and motorbike would have still impacted the race.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I never want to read how Quintana is a threat to Froome or is a contender to win the Tour until he actually shows he and Movistar can actually take time out of Sky. If Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith covered cycling they'd spend 20-30 minutes talking about Quintana being the most overhyped person in the sport.

Reaction Score
At least Astana is showing the will to take a bite out of Froome. Not to any effect but the other teams have shown nothing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom