Tougher battles loom over Uconn women's basketball! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tougher battles loom over Uconn women's basketball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This year is unique because all the players know:
They have to do their best because they have no back-up support like last year.
Interesting as always, Kaizen. Arnold J. Toynbee made a successful career as a globalist historian, arguing that, among other things, the "rise of the West" was due to the struggle against adversity.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine what it must be like for our two transfers working in practice this year (or what it was like for Natalie her red-shirt year.) I don't have that high opinion of any of their previous coaches or the systems they run, and the learning process they are being subjected to must be blowing their minds. I actually think JPM offensively is probably OK, but she only ever teaches and runs zone defense, while Uconn's coaches are very good at teaching all the nuances of solid man defense and team defense.

As for next year... I think the freshman will be paying their dues, with fairly limited minutes in competitive games but a whole lot of work in practice!

It is interesting that Duke is playing better this year without Stevens. They have already beaten two teams that they lost to last year. Also, without the much heralded Salvadores.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm of the opposite opinion-that the offense runs much smoother when Crystal is orchestrating it. Both Saniya & Kia are better SGs than they are PG's IMO.
Then you need to rewatch the games as Crystal Dangerfield forces too many high risk passes and dribbles a tad too much. That said, she shows great talent that as the phrase goes "discretion is the better part of valor" and as she gets more time playing in the AAC scrimmages, she will become a better court leader and playmaker that we will need. In some ways she has fallen behind Destiny Slocom as DS has played significant minutes while learning on the job against the cupcake schedule they played early on. Crystal Dangerfield will gain experience during the season and will be able to run the floor the way Kia and Soniya can.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Then you need to rewatch the games as Crystal Dangerfield forces too many high risk passes and dribbles a tad too much. That said, she shows great talent that as the phrase goes "discretion is the better part of valor" and as she gets more time playing in the AAC scrimmages, she will become a better court leader and playmaker that we will need. In some ways she has fallen behind Destiny Slocom as DS has played significant minutes while learning on the job against the cupcake schedule they played early on. Crystal Dangerfield will gain experience during the season and will be able to run the floor the way Kia and Soniya can.
I have watched and charted every game multiple times. Saniya assists to turn over ratio is amazing but far too cautious considering the finishers that UCONN has on the roster. Crystal is not in competition with Slocum or Saniya. Crystal is in competition with Kia Nurse at the moment to orchestrate the UCONN offense. Crystal PG fundamentals and instinctive passing, such as post entry passing, cannot be matched by either Kia, Destiny nor Saniya.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine what it must be like for our two transfers working in practice this year (or what it was like for Natalie her red-shirt year.) I don't have that high opinion of any of their previous coaches or the systems they run, and the learning process they are being subjected to must be blowing their minds. I actually think JPM offensively is probably OK, but she only ever teaches and runs zone defense, while Uconn's coaches are very good at teaching all the nuances of solid man defense and team defense.

As for next year... I think the freshman will be paying their dues, with fairly limited minutes in competitive games but a whole lot of work in practice!

You know what Azura' thinks. It's in my byline below!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Guess Crystal is just not going to make it at UConn. Not like Mo, who after her first 12 games was already All-American. :rolleyes: (to be clear: that's the sarcasm button)
Let me help you push that button.

Reaction Score
The only change I see to the starting lineup is Azura in for Chong. Lou, Gabby, Napheesa and Kia are not all of a sudden going to stop putting in max effort. Crystal will be the first guard off the bench and Batouly first front court player off the bench. Everyone else will be fighting for minutes with Megan first in line.

Reaction Score
I have watched and charted every game multiple times. Saniya assists to turn over ratio is amazing but far too cautious considering the finishers that UCONN has on the roster. Crystal is not in competition with Slocum or Saniya. Crystal is in competition with Kia Nurse at the moment to orchestrate the UCONN offense. Crystal PG fundamentals and instinctive passing, such as post entry passing, cannot be matched by either Kia, Destiny nor Saniya.
I agree here. Slocum already has a green light to create that UConn's versatile offense simply isn't going to allow a young, inexperienced PG to have. Jefferson earned that freedom over time and Dangerfield may also once she learns like Jefferson to use her small size and quickness to her advantage.

Reaction Score
. This team is fantastic, fun to watch and is playing way beyond expectations (of most people). If they do somehow go all the way, as they clearly are showing the ability to do, this may be the most satisfying season ever. We will see. Let 's enjoy the ride! Go Huskies!
I agree with this post with the exception that no season will ever be as satisfying as 1995.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A great name, 'Touly. From what I've read, she's a warrior.
I was tempted to start a thread on 'Touly. Just what do we know about her? I hope she can block some shots.

Reaction Score
Can you just imagine the battles that will take place at next seasons practices? They may make the actual games seem like a walk in the park! Competition is always a good thing.
For a number of years the kids have been saying that in general, games are easier than practice because of two things! How hard Geno pushes them and the talent of the entire roster. Often people on their bench are better or play harder or both than the competition they have in a game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I suspect that is right. Just as a side note, I find it revealing about sports writers who talk about this is the year to try to get the Huskies, then point to the recruiting of MW with nary a mention of Batouly and Azura' ... just one conclusion, light weight.
I was surprised they didn't mention them during the Maryland game (maybe they did glance over next season, also surprised they traveled but hey "its UConn")

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was surprised they didn't mention them during the Maryland game (maybe they did glance over next season, also surprised they traveled but hey "its UConn")
I suspect they were able to make the travel to MD part of a long new year's day weekend trip home - no classes on campus and probably not paying their way to UCF. Homes for them are Raleigh and NYC so half way to NC and easier connections back to NYC from Maryland.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect they were able to make the travel to MD part of a long new year's day weekend trip home - no classes on campus and probably not paying their way to UCF. Homes for them are Raleigh and NYC so half way to NC and easier connections back to NYC from Maryland.

Yup, they got there on their own. The more they can stay engaged the better. How hard it must be for these highly competitive souls to sit there and watch for a whole season.

Reaction Score
I think the prototypical PG position is not really needed in UConn in the sense that because all the players are generally good to great passers, we can generate pretty good offense. In our case, PG to me at UConn just means "consistent leader" and Crystal Dangerfield still needs to grow and be more consistent to fill that role.
While I generally agree, having a defensive point guard like Mo the past 4 years yields tremendous benefit. While I expect we will see Crystal Dangerfield grow her defensive skills, today she is average. Having watched some of the upcoming frosh videos, most seem to be great offensive players that rarely had to play All American level defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom