Tougher battles loom over Uconn women's basketball! | The Boneyard

Tougher battles loom over Uconn women's basketball!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can you just imagine the battles that will take place at next seasons practices? They may make the actual games seem like a walk in the park! Competition is always a good thing.

I suspect that is right. Just as a side note, I find it revealing about sports writers who talk about this is the year to try to get the Huskies, then point to the recruiting of MW with nary a mention of Batouly and Azura' ... just one conclusion, light weight.

Reaction Score
Effectively we have six players coming in (AEH, Coombs, Lexi, Walker, AZ, Batouly) and only two graduating (Chong, TLaw). Gonna be tough to find playing time for everyone. In the season after next, after Kia, Gabby, and Butler leave, Collier2 will be joining the team. In that 2018-19 season you will have 3 #1 recruits (KLS, Walker, Collier2) on the team to go along with Collier, AZ, and Crystal Dangerfield the #2 recruit from her class running point. I don't think a team has ever been that loaded. Going one more season beyond that, even if Geno never gets another recruit again, you would still have the Walker+Collier2+Crystal Dangerfield combo for another two years, and then another season of Walker+Collier2 after that. Geno has an outside shot at 15 titles by April 2022 (the year Collier2 graduates). That said, I think I'm most looking forward to hearing the announcers say "Collier passes to Collier."

Reaction Score
Can you just imagine the battles that will take place at next seasons practices? They may make the actual games seem like a walk in the park! Competition is always a good thing.
If we win the NC this year, could we win also next 4 years ?
That will be how many ? wow total of 11 + 1 +4 = 16 NCs

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nah. It'll just mean that the frosh are going to have a tough year.

I like it! But I suspect that what some disparagingly call Garbage Time will be far lengthier next year. Then we will be beset with fans of other teams bragging about the stats of their putative AAs, while WNBA execs and coaches will be just waiting for draft eligibility for just about everyone wearing Husky blue.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

I think it was the great Tiffany Hayes who remarked that the team always found games restful after Geno's practices.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine what it must be like for our two transfers working in practice this year (or what it was like for Natalie her red-shirt year.) I don't have that high opinion of any of their previous coaches or the systems they run, and the learning process they are being subjected to must be blowing their minds. I actually think JPM offensively is probably OK, but she only ever teaches and runs zone defense, while Uconn's coaches are very good at teaching all the nuances of solid man defense and team defense.

As for next year... I think the freshman will be paying their dues, with fairly limited minutes in competitive games but a whole lot of work in practice!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
As for next year... I think the freshman will be paying their dues, with fairly limited minutes in competitive games but a whole lot of work in practice!

Yup. Except prolly Megan. She'll be hard to keep on the bench, I think.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I suspect that is right. Just as a side note, I find it revealing about sports writers who talk about this is the year to try to get the Huskies, then point to the recruiting of MW with nary a mention of Batouly and Azura' ... just one conclusion, light weight.
Exactly what I posted yesterday. Rest assured, whoever starts for this team next year will have earned it.

During the first game last year against OSU, football analyst and former player Joey Galloway came on with Stephanie White and Beth Mowins. Galloway said "When you have players behind you on the bench that are talented, that are All-American caliber, it raises your game and you know that everything you do has to be at your best. Because there's a guy or a girl behind you that is just as good and can take your spot...(players know) they have to bring their "A" game every single day". Never more true next year. It should raise the bar for the phrase "Practice Wars".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There certainly is an expectation for much deeper talent next season, but I think the key may be development at point guard. It is quite evident at this part of the season how much smoother the team plays with Saniya on the floor.
I'm of the opposite opinion-that the offense runs much smoother when Crystal is orchestrating it. Both Saniya & Kia are better SGs than they are PG's IMO.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm of the opposite opinion-that the offense runs much smoother when Crystal is orchestrating it. Both Saniya & Kia are better SGs than they are PG's IMO.

I think the prototypical PG position is not really needed in UConn in the sense that because all the players are generally good to great passers, we can generate pretty good offense. In our case, PG to me at UConn just means "consistent leader" and Crystal Dangerfield still needs to grow and be more consistent to fill that role.

Reaction Score
Geno's going to have a different kind of problem next year - How to distribute the
minutes between a lot of talented players and keep them all happy.

Geno and Christine had an issue with Minutes played before---and know how to use that to their advantage. This is NOT a bad issue for coaches to have. And I dont think the "T" word shall enter into the equation--all these new and older kids want to be on a National Championship/record creating team--their names will all be in history books on WBB--

Way back when, in another century--Christine maintained, it has been broadcast, records of minutes played for all to see.

Reaction Score
Guess Crystal is just not going to make it at UConn. Not like Mo, who after her first 12 games was already All-American. :rolleyes: (to be clear: that's the sarcasm button)

Audacity at it's extreme! How dare you believe that Crystal shall not make it at UConn. I know you are an expert---but I'm a bigger EX spert. Why are you rewriting history of Moriah's uconn stint?? Moriah entered her first game as an AA. I saw it--I was there.

(I thought I'd beat those that didn't see the sarcasm/ Facetiousness )

Reaction Score
Exactly what I posted yesterday. Rest assured, whoever starts for this team next year will have earned it.

During the first game last year against OSU, football analyst and former player Joey Galloway came on with Stephanie White and Beth Mowins. Galloway said "When you have players behind you on the bench that are talented, that are All-American caliber, it raises your game and you know that everything you do has to be at your best. Because there's a guy or a girl behind you that is just as good and can take your spot...(players know) they have to bring their "A" game every single day". Never more true next year. It should raise the bar for the phrase "Practice Wars".

I agree with the concept of having the AA caliber players behind you, pushing you, but for Geno's teams and particularly for comparison with this year's team, what that will also mean is that players will have the green light to play 100% on offense and defense because there is no fear of fouling out and having no suitable sub on the bench to come in. Last year when gabby and pheesa came in to provide support they didn't have to worry about fouls and could just play. This year they have to be much more careful, and we see the result when an athletic team like MD got our starters in foul trouble. Although there may be some issues with players not getting the PT they want, there will be a sharing of time according to production. Rotations that work well together will be out there, whether starters or subs. Geno won't upset great chemistry just to grant playing time and I don't think he will have to. But back to the present. This team is fantastic, fun to watch and is playing way beyond expectations (of most people). If they do somehow go all the way, as they clearly are showing the ability to do, this may be the most satisfying season ever. We will see. Let 's enjoy the ride! Go Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom