Tough January | The Boneyard

Tough January

Reaction Score
I really hope Hurley has our guys come out and play with fire for 40 minutes against NJIT on Sunday because as I look ahead to Januarys schedule, this team could be in for a rude awakening if they are not absolutely ready to play! I have high hopes for this team, and it feels like 5-3 would be very optimistic for January, but could also easily end up 2-6 if we don't play hard and focused!

Some things I believe will be key in January:

1) - AI and Vital playing like senior leaders and composed. Really hoping UNH was a sign of good, patient play to come from those two.
2) - Akok and Polley to be more involved offensively - both of them need to be taking more shots and playing more aggressively. I would love to see Polley taking 7-8 3s per game, and Akok to look to get 7-8 shots per game.
3) - Bouk and Gaffney - after MSG it was evident that the lights got to these guys, but hopefully after Bouk settling in to more consistent play and Gaffney looking like he finally shook off the deer in headlights look and flashed really good play, I'm looking for consistent contributions from these 2 as a really important key. Bouk has the potential to be the teams best offensive player as we all know, and if he can somehow find that consistent play sooner then later, we will be tough to beat with other guys also doing their part.
4) - 8-9 man rotation. Personally I feel like an 8 man rotation would be best, with occasional 9 man use for foul trouble or off games, but this means Sid or Whaley will most likely end up being one of the odd men out. Right now it looks like Sid.
5) - DEFENSE - we have taken massive strides in this department and if anything, staying consistent will keep us in every single game we play. We lost by a combined 4 pts to Xavuer and IU and honestly our Offense in those games was pretty bad outside of short bursts of good offense. If we can find any sort of consistency on offense, combined with really good pressure d, then again, we will be tough to beat.

Cant wait for January 1st, but first let's take care of business against NJIT and get a solid 30 point well executed win!

Reaction Score
I really hope Hurley has our guys come out and play with fire for 40 minutes against NJIT on Sunday because as I look ahead to Januarys schedule, this team could be in for a rude awakening if they are not absolutely ready to play! I have high hopes for this team, and it feels like 5-3 would be very optimistic for January, but could also easily end up 2-6 if we don't play hard and focused!

1) - AI and Vital playing like senior leaders and composed. Really hoping UNH was a sign of good, patient play to come from those two.
2) - Akok and Polley to be more involved offensively - both of them need to be taking more shots and playing more aggressively. I would love to see Polley taking 7-8 3s per game, and Akok to look to get 7-8 shots per game.
3) - Bouk and Gaffney - after MSG it was evident that the lights got to these guys, but hopefully after Bouk settling in to more consistent play and Gaffney looking like he finally shook off the deer in headlights look and flashed really good play, I'm looking for consistent contributions from these 2 as a really important key. Bouk has the potential to be the teams best offensive player as we all know, and if he can somehow find that consistent play sooner then later, we will be tough to beat with other guys also doing their part.
4) - 8-9 man rotation. Personally I feel like an 8 man rotation would be best, with occasional 9 man use for foul trouble or off games, but this means Sid or Whaley will most likely end up being one of the odd men out. Right now it looks like Sid.
5) - DEFENSE - we have taken massive strides in this department and if anything, staying consistent will keep us in every single game we play. We lost by a combined 4 pts to Xavuer and IU and honestly our Offense in those games was pretty bad outside of short bursts of good offense. If we can find any sort of consistency on offense, combined with really good pressure d, then again, we will be tough to beat.

Cant wait for January 1st, but first let's take care of business against NJIT and get a solid 30 point well executed win!
Im not worried about wins and losses I want to see these freshmen get a lot of playing time and see them improve game by game. To me this season is all about getting ready for next season where I think this team will start looking like traditional Uconn team. Let me just add im calling it right now, Richard Springs is going to be a big surprise when he turns out to be way better than anyone imagined.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The Cincy/South Florida trip makes or breaks the season. Need two wins
I believe Cumberland(that's his name? ) is going to be a hand full. He always killed us in the paint. Of course Akok Akok will be there Josh needs to step up. South Florida is a head scratcher. It's hard to tell what you are going to get.

Reaction Score
You are right we must have both of these games to get the rest of the schedule off on the right foot.
Key will be defense, rebounding and making free throws.
No more talking the future is NOW.

Reaction Score
Get plenty of touches for Bouk, Akok, and Polley and play the type of defense we know they are capable of, and everything will be fine.

Reaction Score
Solid

Solid post. Totally agree!

Reaction Score
Looking at Ken Pomeroy's analysis of our schedule, 1/1 through 2/20 is our toughest stretch of the season.

Pomeroy uses a "strength of schedule" rule called the "Tiers of Joy" where he uses location of game adjustments to label Tier A games as games vs. a top-50 opponent and Tier B games as games vs. a top-100 opponent. The game location effect depends on a variance of factors.

Between 1/1 and 2/20 we have 14 games:

5 Tier A games: @ Cincy, @ Nova, @ Houston, @ Memphis, @ Temple
7 Tier B games: @ USF, vs Wichita, v Temple, @ Tulsa, vs Cincy, @ SMU, vs. Memphis
2 neither: vs Tulane, vs Tulsa

If we can go 8-6 through that stretch, that'll put us in good position to close out the regular season with a realistic shot for postseason play.

Reaction Score
I understand everyones thoughts on "must win" the first 2 but I'm not ready to go that far, although it would be huge to get off on that foot. Cincy will be tough especially not knowing which team you will get. Our defense will keep this close at least, love to see the offense show but as we know they will be physical and tough on that end also. Like our chances nonetheless.

Agree with those who feel Polley and Akok need more touches. While some is on the guards on the court we also need to draw up some plays from the staff. Like to see some more of that.

Not on the same page with those worrying about next year. Our past 3 leave me somewhat desperate to win this year and quite honestly our personnel is good enough to do so. Love the way Gaffney played the last 2 but I am still waiting to see where he stands when the likes of Cincy guard him on the perimeter. Minutes need to those who deserve it period, not worried at all about next year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Im not worried about wins and losses I want to see these freshmen get a lot of playing time and see them improve game by game. To me this season is all about getting ready for next season where I think this team will start looking like traditional Uconn team. Let me just add im calling it right now, Richard Springs is going to be a big surprise when he turns out to be way better than anyone imagined.

Boo. I hate this attitude. This team has more than enough talent to make the NCAA tournament this season. They just need to play to their abilities. I’m not saying we can’t be better still next year, but the key to building a winning culture is winning. This season is wide open. There is nobody out there without major warts.

Reaction Score
Looking at Ken Pomeroy's analysis of our schedule, 1/1 through 2/20 is our toughest stretch of the season.

Pomeroy uses a "strength of schedule" rule called the "Tiers of Joy" where he uses location of game adjustments to label Tier A games as games vs. a top-50 opponent and Tier B games as games vs. a top-100 opponent. The game location effect depends on a variance of factors.

Between 1/1 and 2/20 we have 14 games:

5 Tier A games: @ Cincy, @ Nova, @ Houston, @ Memphis, @ Temple
7 Tier B games: @ USF, vs Wichita, v Temple, @ Tulsa, vs Cincy, @ SMU, vs. Memphis
2 neither: vs Tulane, vs Tulsa

If we can go 8-6 through that stretch, that'll put us in good position to close out the regular season with a realistic shot for postseason play.

This is great. I just looked at the remaining 5 games after this and can definitely go 5-0 if playing well, but let's just say we finish 4-1, plus the 8-6 during that tough stretch, then our conference record is 11-7 and our overall is either 19-10 or 18-11 (if we lose to Nova). I'm not sure that gets us in. Depends on how those teams look this year. Might be tough just because of our conference, but in the Big East I would like our chances better with that record.

Regarding the 8-6 during the tough stretch, if we can really take care of business at home, I could see us going 9-5 or even 10-4, and then we are definitely dancing.

Reaction Score
I think people here still overrate our talent level, and the NCAA has been and will continue to be a "reach" goal. However, the AAC is the weakest it's been in the past 3-4 years, so the opportunity is clearly there. We do need to split the next two to keep our "reach" goal within reach . . .

Reaction Score
This is great. I just looked at the remaining 5 games after this and can definitely go 5-0 if playing well, but let's just say we finish 4-1, plus the 8-6 during that tough stretch, then our conference record is 11-7 and our overall is either 19-10 or 18-11 (if we lose to Nova). I'm not sure that gets us in. Depends on how those teams look this year. Might be tough just because of our conference, but in the Big East I would like our chances better with that record.
18-11 does not get us in because of the lack of quality wins we may get in this dog of a conference
Regarding the 8-6 during the tough stretch, if we can really take care of business at home, I could see us going 9-5 or even 10-4, and then we are definitely dancing.

Reaction Score
I think people here still overrate our talent level, and the NCAA has been and will continue to be a "reach" goal. However, the AAC is the weakest it's been in the past 3-4 years, so the opportunity is clearly there. We do need to split the next two to keep our "reach" goal within reach . . .
If Florida, Miami, Xavier and Indiana are "NCAA teams or close to it", UConn has played these teams pretty even so don't see how talent is an issue as 4 games against good competition gives a flavor of what your teams talent is.
UConn has plenty of talent. We are talking after 10 games that our best player is a freshman and the two freshman backup guards might already be better than 2 senior starters. Our small forward is a very good shooter and needs more shots and our center and backup are as a combo getting it done. Have a 2nd year guard who is playing tough defense and a highly athletic wing who can't find playing time.

Reaction Score

The January 1st game at UC is the biggest game we’ve played in years especially if we win.
I think the game is winnable and it would be our most important road win
In years and it would give us confidence going into USF another winnable game.
Winning those two rigged*games most everyone has already written off .Will send a message to the AAC that we plan to contend in our final year so bring it on.

* I’m convinced the AAC wanted us to not be the talk so early road losses with put us in a hole.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If Florida, Miami, Xavier and Indiana are "NCAA teams or close to it", UConn has played these teams pretty even so don't see how talent is an issue as 4 games against good competition gives a flavor of what your teams talent is.
UConn has plenty of talent. We are talking after 10 games that our best player is a freshman and the two freshman backup guards might already be better than 2 senior starters. Our small forward is a very good shooter and needs more shots and our center and backup are as a combo getting it done. Have a 2nd year guard who is playing tough defense and a highly athletic wing who can't find playing time.

Gaffney is not yet better than either of the starters.

Reaction Score

Florida and Xavier are NCAA teams. Miami is not. Indiana is borderline.

A dozen games in means that there is more than enough film to scout us on. Right now we are not difficult to defend on offense, where our best players either have glaring deficiencies or are early on in their development. If we make the tournament it will be because Akok makes a huge leap in terms of offensive consistency and Bouknight is able to become a consistent go-to scorer late in his freshman season. It will have to happen pretty quickly if we want to accumulate enough wins for an at large bid.

Reaction Score
Tough? We’ve played better teams. We just need to do what we’re supposed to do and we’ll be fine
Tough? Yes tough. I agree we have played good teams but we have yet to play a single road game. Do you realize how horrendous we were on the road the past 4 seasons? So 4 road games against tough teams in conference play plus 2 home games against 2 teams way higher up in the NET rankings than us. Yes, tough.

Reaction Score
Tough? Yes tough. I agree we have played good teams but we have yet to play a single road game. Do you realize how horrendous we were on the road the past 4 seasons? So 4 road games against tough teams in conference play plus 2 home games against 2 teams way higher up in the NET rankings than us. Yes, tough.
I have a different measure of “tough”. None of these teams in front of us are impressive sans villanova. If we go 2-6 Dan Hurley did a horrendous job. For a major CBB program this upcoming stretch isn’t “tough”. Playing Florida twice, along with Xavier, Buffalo, and Miami was/is tougher than what’s upcoming imo. If we are a postseason team we should handle our business. Anything less than 5-3 is a disappointment

Reaction Score
I have a different measure of “tough”. None of these teams in front of us are impressive sans villanova. If we go 2-6 Dan Hurley did a horrendous job. For a major CBB program this upcoming stretch isn’t “tough”. Playing Florida twice, along with Xavier, Buffalo, and Miami was/is tougher than what’s upcoming imo. If we are a postseason team we should handle our business. Anything less than 5-3 is a disappointment
Agree to disagree I guess, but I think most here would disagree. Hurley is in year 2 of a major rebuild, cant say the guy is a failure if we go 2-6 on this stretch. We would all definitely be disappointed though. If we did that in year 3, then yeah, maybe you can start wondering if Hurley is the real deal. Also, we played Florida once this year, and I'm not so sure that beating Florida at home, barely losing to Xavier and IU on a neutral court, and smashing Miami on a neutral court is tougher then Cincy, Houston, Nova on the road for the 1st time this season, plus WS and Temple at home.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree I guess, but I think most here would disagree. Hurley is in year 2 of a major rebuild, cant say the guy is a failure if we go 2-6 on this stretch. We would all definitely be disappointed though. If we did that in year 3, then yeah, maybe you can start wondering if Hurley is the real deal. Also, we played Florida once this year, and I'm not so sure that beating Florida at home, barely losing to Xavier and IU on a neutral court, and smashing Miami on a neutral court is tougher then Cincy, Houston, Nova on the road for the 1st time this season, plus WS and Temple at home.
WS, Temple, Cincy, and Hou have not been impressive this season. Have you seen them play? We are more than capable of beating all those teams. Going 2-6 in that stretch would be a massive underachievement. I believe you’re severely underrating the capabilities of this team. We were damn near a last second heave from Xavier away from being ranked. Look at the schedule of the teams you listed. Not impressive. 5-3 should be the minimum expectation here. Lord help us if we go into the big East with these expectations next season. We are on par or better than every single team you’ve listed in this stretch maybe besides Villanova, whom we can also beat. Logic and probability says we’ll lose a couple. But 2-6? Really? That’s not a failure?

Oh and Merry Christmas!! Haha:)

Reaction Score
WS, Temple, Cincy, and Hou have not been impressive this season. Have you seen them play? We are more than capable of beating all those teams. Going 2-6 in that stretch would be a massive underachievement. I believe you’re severely underrating the capabilities of this team. We were damn near a last second heave from Xavier away from being ranked. Look at the schedule of the teams you listed. Not impressive. 5-3 should be the minimum expectation here. Lord help us if we go into the big East with these expectations next season. We are on par or better than every single team you’ve listed in this stretch maybe besides Villanova, whom we can also beat. Logic and probability says we’ll lose a couple. But 2-6? Really? That’s not a failure?

Oh and Merry Christmas!! Haha:)
Admittedly, I have not seen them play. I'm basing this off 2 things. 1) cant underestimate the difficulty of going into a hostile road environment, especially for an unproven mentally tough team. (Hoping that finally changes this year) and 2) NET rankings. WS is 10-1 and they are ranked #11. Temple and Houston both ranked more than 20 spots higher. Cincinnati I agree has not looked good or at the very least inconsistent, but Cincy is a tough place to play on the road. We both agree on Nova.

For what it's worth, I do believe we are mentally tougher this year, so hopefully playing on the road is not as much of a challenge as it's been in recent years.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Reaction Score
Boo. I hate this attitude. This team has more than enough talent to make the NCAA tournament this season. They just need to play to their abilities. I’m not saying we can’t be better still next year, but the key to building a winning culture is winning. This season is wide open. There is nobody out there without major warts.
I didnt say we couldn't or wouldnt make the tournament. What im saying is im not going to worry about wins and losses as long as this team plays hard and as I mentioned the freshmen develop because they are absolutely vital to the future of this program as far as getting this program back to a national power. Those two things are good enough for me because the wins will come. Chill

Reaction Score

2-6 would be a failure I’m not sure why or who it would be on but that would be plain unacceptable. It’s just not that much of a rebuild and these teams in our way just aren’t all that good.

But we will not do this so let’s get off this subject. All good!

Go Huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom