tOSU beats MD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

tOSU beats MD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Teams shoot 3's extremely well when they play UConn. They all come back down to earth afterward. Why? I don't think that has anything to do with our defense.
UConn is ranked 321st in 3-point defense.

Reaction Score
MD lost by nine to Ohio State - didn't we beat them earlier this year 100-57?
OK we beat OSU by 43, and it's OSU over Maryland by 9. So we should have beaten Maryland by 51, no?

But we won by only 10?#$%&#????? Will we drop in the polls next week?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Playing UConn is every team's Super Bowl. It's logical that a team like Maryland, that has played UConn for the past four years, would come out ready to play and not scared. It's also logical that they would experience a mental lapse against a talented team right after Christmas.

Just goes to show how freaking difficult it is for UConn to remain so consistently good.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While the opposition makes a difference, this shows how ridiculous it is that UConn hasn't lost back to back in like 22? years.
I think what it shows is how amazing 5 undefeated seasons are. The back to back thing is easier - very easy to get the team's attention after a loss, harder to keep their attention after a string of easy wins.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just got outplayed today. Too many turnovers, missed free throws. They looked like a team that just played less than 48 hours ago. Especially Shatori.
You better hope they figure that one out before the NCAAs or they will not make it to the sweet sixteen! :eek::)
On a serious note - Maryland is having a terrible year handling the ball - against their less than stellar OOC they are averaging 16 TO/game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think what it shows is how amazing 5 undefeated seasons are. The back to back thing is easier - very easy to get the team's attention after a loss, harder to keep their attention after a string of easy wins.
I think we can agree that both are remarkable for different reasons.

Reaction Score
Goes back to what I said about the Terps before the game with UConn. Sometimes they look awesome, but they are terribly inconsistent at this point in the season.

Reaction Score
Just got outplayed today. Too many turnovers, missed free throws. They looked like a team that just played less than 48 hours ago. Especially Shatori.
NO attack here Terp as I agree with how sloppy both teams were with the ball at times. I for one though never buy into the fatigue excuse as you and Frese have.
http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=400834850
We are talking 19/20/21 year olds that can run all day. If fatigue is truly a factor with a day off between games, she should have a talk with her conditioning coach. This was a home game against a top 10 in conference opponent with over 10,000 in the house and the team is tired? Should I add national TV? NO young athlete is tired for a game like this. I'm looking at someone being out coached here today.
A big for O St Shayla Cooper fouled out with over 8 minutes to go should have done Ohio in. Turtles were never able to take advantage. O St coach was masterful with his time outs today. Again nothing personal towards you, just my opinion on what I saw.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The last time UConn lost consecutive games was nearly 23 years ago. The last time Maryland lost consecutive games was less than 23 hours ago. :)
not so - they played Illinois on new years eve and beat them!
Last time they lost two in a row - 11/29/14 to Washington State and 12/3/2014 to ND - so 13 months ago.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think we can agree that both are remarkable for different reasons.
It is an amazing streak of 23 years. But a team like ND is on a current five year streak since Nov 2010 which includes a complete roster changeover and I suspect Baylor is also on a fairly long current streak. In contrast ND has never had an undefeated seasons, and Baylor has one, as do only two other teams. To lose two games in a row for a really good team, you have to play two really good teams in a row, or throw a complete wobbly before or after losing to a really good team, and very few teams have yearly schedules that include two really good teams in a row. What Uconn's streak really points to is that even in the 'dark days' of the 1990s and 2000s they were still a really good team even if they didn't make it to the FF.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is an amazing streak of 23 years. But a team like ND is on a current five year streak since Nov 2010 which includes a complete roster changeover and I suspect Baylor is also on a fairly long current streak. In contrast ND has never had an undefeated seasons, and Baylor has one, as do only two other teams. To lose two games in a row for a really good team, you have to play two really good teams in a row, or throw a complete wobbly before or after losing to a really good team, and very few teams have yearly schedules that include two really good teams in a row. What Uconn's streak really points to is that even in the 'dark days' of the 1990s and 2000s they were still a really good team even if they didn't make it to the FF.
I think scheduling has an impact. But doing it for 5 years with a complete roster change, while impressive, doesn't compare to doing it for 5 years longer than some on the current roster have been alive.

Reaction Score
I noticed in the box score of the MD / OSU that former Capitol Prep player, Kiah Gilllespie did not even play. She began the year starting, came off the bench vs. UConn. No mention that she is hurt, anyone know what's going on?

Reaction Score
Looked like a different Maryland team than the one that played UConn. No scrappy hustling. They lost almost all the 50/50 balls, and threw some atrocious passes. They are a better team than what they showed today.

I am now a Kelsey Mitchell fan. I used to think she was a one dimensional shooter that did not really help the team. Today I was totally impressed with her defense, steals, and passing (especially that over the shoulder job in the final minutes). She moved without the ball on the back door cuts, and of course, hit some monster 3s.

A little different than playing against the UConn Defense however.

Completely agree about KM. Before,today I was not impressed despite her scoring stats. Today she was spectacular in every aspect of the game-defense, passing, steals getting to yhe basket and hitting some huge threes especially in the second half of a close game when it counted. This kid is good. High energy with toughness just like Mo but with more offensive firepower and she is just a sophmore. True Uconn's defense shut her down but Md's dfense isn't terrible and I believe she juat had an off day against Uconn. Based on what I saw today I think she is the only other point guard in a class with Mo.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Anyone know where or if there is a reply available for this game? I didn't realize is was aired on CBS Sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom