Toscano Family Ice Forum MHOC Opener > #11 UConn v. Northeastern Huskies (Saturday 1/14/23 @ 7:35p - Game streamed on ESPN+) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Toscano Family Ice Forum MHOC Opener > #11 UConn v. Northeastern Huskies (Saturday 1/14/23 @ 7:35p - Game streamed on ESPN+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One thing the inaugural game gave us was mucho drama. The whole thing felt like a Whalers game 8n that regard ;)
Here’s a thought on the timeout. Do you remember when the PA blew the horn and turned on goal lights when no goal was scored. The action was stopped and the announcer said there was a time out on the ice. I wonder if that control room blunder cost the home team a time out. I don’t know for sure, but seems weirdly plausible under the circumstances, but maybe someone on the board knows for sure…

Or is it that the only reviewable item that wouldn’t create a delay of game penalty be when the challenge is over a goals scored or not?
That was the scheduled tv timeout.

Reaction Score
Rees’s handout to McDonough of all players who’s arguably the best scorer in HE was the most painful. The sad part is that overall UConn played really well and generated many very close offensive opportunities and couldn’t cash in. While not a fan of Levi, he played well enough to stifle some great chances by Tverberg and Bradley.

As for Capone, he’s regressed a bit after a nice start, but is physical in a way that can juice the team and crowd and has shone he has good hands in the past.
Lucas had a turnover for the first goal. Instead of dumping it into the offensive zone he had it stolen off his stick and it led to a two on one. I do like Lucas though.

I just believe that breaking up Capone and Bradley would really help Bradley and give the team more offensive depth.

Bradley has offensive capabilities. Capone has zero. I just believe if Bradley got away from Capone he would be able to show a lot more. Capone should just be a fourth liner.

Reaction Score
Capone is 7th on the team with 11 pts. That’s not exactly nothing.
Two brutal giveaways and a crap clipping call doomed us tonight.
Our D has not taken care of the puck since late December and it’s killing us.
I can’t believe Northeastern got away with that punch on our 3rd goal. WTF?

Reaction Score
You can’t look at just one play. You have to look at the entire game. The opening festivities, the new arena. HE games back on campus with a full house. Overall it was exciting. Our team didn’t win, but they have more games to play and I’m sure they will win heir share of games.
Not as exciting as ice bowling
Man, $20,000 for a strike?
Sign me up

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

The part I really don't get, which hasn't been talked about...

He was assessed a 10 min misconduct, but no minor? What is this, the NHL in the late 80s?

There also was a frozen puck in 3rd which Levi cleared after the whistle, and they gave a center ice faceoff????? Did they call an inadvertent whistle?

I apparently need to read up on rules, because both of these left me puzzled.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yeah, so i really want to know why it was 5 on 5 at end. I don't see a provision for a misconduct with no minor:

Rule 53 - Roughing
53.1 Roughing - A player shall not push or shove an opponent with unnecessary
force.
PENALTY—Minor.
53.2 Excessive Roughness - A player shall not commit an action not permitted
by the rules that may cause or causes an injury to an opponent, to team
personnel or to a game official.
PENALTY—Disqualification.
53.3 Hitting After the Whistle - A player shall not make physical contact with
an opponent, including the goalkeeper (see Rule 43), anywhere on the ice
after the whistle has blown if, in the opinion of a referee, the player had
sufficient time after the whistle to avoid such contact.
PENALTY—Minor or major at the discretion of the referee. A game
misconduct may be assessed at the discretion of the referee.
Note: Officials are encouraged to pay particular attention to a player who
instigates or escalates an incident after play is stopped.

Reaction Score
10 minute misconducts can be assessed without a minor, it's a rare call but it's possible. The only times I remember are for shooting after the whistle. The guy who got the 10 min misconduct at the end was not the dude who threw the punch though.

Still really, really bizarre that on that play the only penalty given for the on-ice scuffle after the goal was a random 10 minute misconduct. It probably doesn't end up changing the outcome of the game, but you can't miss that punch at the end there.

1673801416734.png

Reaction Score
Is it time to pick a goaltender?

I think Cav should let Sergeev start most of the remaining games. He has more upside and maybe he could get on a little bit of a roll.

Reaction Score
Is it time to pick a goaltender?

I think Cav should let Sergeev start most of the remaining games. He has more upside and maybe he could get on a little bit of a roll.

Was thinking along the same lines. Sergeev seems a little more unorthodox but can get hot and steal a game - even though someone else didn’t think the set had the capacity to do so…

There were major line changes but yeah the next change is making fewer if them in net.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Hurley took the pressure off Cav, the St John's beat down was way worse than the Northeastern loss

Reaction Score
Hurley took the pressure off Cav, the St John's beat down was way worse than the Northeastern loss

There are a lot of parallels between the Men’s hockey and basketball teams. Got off to a hot start but are struggling in league play, and both may have approached their ceilings too soon when other teams are getting better. Hoping for some return to magic for both squads,,,

Reaction Score
I thought it was going to be a reset type of season for the hockey program but my hopes were raised because of how the season began. Just disappointed they have lost their opportunity for an at large bid.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of parallels between the Men’s hockey and basketball teams. Got off to a hot start but are struggling in league play, and both may have approached their ceilings too soon when other teams are getting better. Hoping for some return to magic for both squads,,,
In both cases UConn feasted on cupcakes early. Six of the first nine hockey wins were against bottom feeders Vermont, Union and Maine. Expectations (admittedly mine also) may then have turned unrealistic given the youth of this team.

Reaction Score
What a shame!
I thought it was going to be a reset type of season for the hockey program but my hopes were raised because of how the season began. Just disappointed they have lost their opportunity for an at large bid.
Ouch! Now we seek solace in the demise of our BB team? Simply put, both teams under performed this weekend...

Reaction Score
In both cases UConn feasted on cupcakes early. Six of the first nine hockey wins were against bottom feeders Vermont, Union and Maine. Expectations (admittedly mine also) may then have turned unrealistic given the youth of this team.
Although the basketball team did play and destroy good competition and won the Phil Knight Invitational. Their accomplishments were significant early on.

The eye test seemed to suggest UConn hockey was for real, and truth be told they skated well in the Toscano opener, but winning is still difficult in HE. Still they have a chance to do something special with the CT based tournament at Quinnipiac. It’s a tall task, but they have a legitimate chance to take home a trophy to give additional meaning for this season. But first a home and home with UMass and I’d like to see Sergeev start both.

Reaction Score
What a shame!

Ouch! Now we seek solace in the demise of our BB team? Simply put, both teams under performed this weekend...
Never mentioned basketball.

Although the basketball team did play and destroy good competition and won the Phil Knight Invitational. Their accomplishments were significant early on.

The eye test seemed to suggest UConn hockey was for real, and truth be told they skated well in the Toscano opener, but winning is still difficult in HE. Still they have a chance to do something special with the CT based tournament at Quinnipiac. It’s a tall task, but they have a legitimate chance to take home a trophy to give additional meaning for this season. But first a home and home with UMass and I’d like to see Sergeev start both.
I was thinking how much of a bright spot it would be to walk into Quinnipiac and knock off the number two team in the country on their home ice.

Yale has been playing better though. Cannot overlook them.

Reaction Score

I was thinking how much of a bright spot it would be to walk into Quinnipiac and knock off the number two team in the country on their home ice.

Yeah, that would be great...
But I'd rather get back on track in HE given that we've lost 4 in row in conference...

Reaction Score

My mistake - meant to reply to dvegas...

Reaction Score
A strange quote here. First, wasn't the challenge with ~25 seconds left? Next, where did the "threat" of a penalty come from? He'd not used his TO and hadn't had a prior unsuccessful challenge. He's allowed to call his timeout and ask for a challenge without fear of a penalty.

Makes no sense.
Timeout came with 58 sec left when UConn was about to go on PP. Challenge for major penalty occured after goal to make it 4-3. Therefore with no TO and a failed challenge resulted in a delay of game minor for UConn. Same thing for NE after they lost the goalie interference challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom