Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions

Reaction Score
Thanks for the background. Incredible really. How these observations ended up so counter to the perceptions of people who regularly attend or attended games is more than baffling.
I regularly attend both WHOC and MHOC games @ Toscano… it’s really not as bad as some portend. Can improvements be made - absolutely, but my guess is it will evolve over time. If folks don’t like the game day experience @ Toscano - they will make that personal decision and open up seats for others.

Reaction Score
I think folks are appreciative that much has gone into for the players benefit yet the criticisms from the fan perspective is fueled by the cost of the facility. Just seems more was expected for 70MM yet knowing in the back of the mind it was built when materials were expensive?

Reaction Score
I regularly attend both WHOC and MHOC games @ Toscano… it’s really not as bad as some portend. Can improvements be made - absolutely, but my guess is it will evolve over time. If folks don’t like the game day experience @ Toscano - they will make that personal decision and open up seats for others.

Preceisly. And that’s exactly what I have done.

Will the great suggestions made be considered seriously to make the gameday experience better? I can only hope to one day consider a return, but beyond the arena itself is that the parking situation also needs to be addressed. At least they are offering to some Season ticket holders the opportunity who had to hike from South Garage last season.

Reaction Score
I think folks are appreciative that much has gone into for the players benefit yet the criticisms from the fan perspective is fueled by the cost of the facility. Just seems more was expected for 70MM yet knowing in the back of the mind it was built when materials were expensive?

The price tag didn’t help, but as you indicated the cost of construction everywhere has been increased significantly. I’m looking forward to making direct comparison with the Martire Family arena at SHU during the CT Ice tournament.

Reaction Score
What isn’t mentioned is the tight corner radius which means led room to maneuver. That doesn’t sit will with skilled players who need or enjoy a little more space to make plays. If recruiting is geared towards the grinders and kickers and physical players, then the sheet is perfect.
It's NHL ice 200 x 85. Corner radii are standardized. Do you have data that says they are not standard? And why on earth would they do that?

Reaction Score
The price tag didn’t help, but as you indicated the cost of construction everywhere has been increased significantly. I’m looking forward to making direct comparison with the Martire Family arena at SHU during the CT Ice tournament.
Make sure you compare (actually contrast) private vs public construction.

Reaction Score
It's NHL ice 200 x 85. Corner radii are standardized. Do you have data that says they are not standard? And why on earth would they do that?
It was something the BU announcers indicated last season, and I had the same question, to which Sea Goat responded…

Post in thread 'UConn v. #2 Boston University Terriers (Friday 2/23/24 @Toscano Family Ice Forum @7p & Saturday 2/24/24 @Agganis Arena @7p). Both games on ESPN+'
UConn v. #2 Boston University Terriers (Friday 2/23/24 @Toscano Family Ice Forum @7p & Saturday 2/24/24 @Agganis Arena @7p). Both games on ESPN+

Reaction Score
According to Meta AI, "the radius of the corners in an NHL rink is standard at 28 feet". According to Wikipedia, that is the international standard as well. There is no variability. I would be astounded if the TFIF differed from the standard. They would have had to ask a manufacturer to make and supply a non-standard set of corner boards.

Btw, the faceoff dot has nothing to do with it. It is not the the center of curvature for the corner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to Meta AI, "the radius of the corners in an NHL rink is standard at 28 feet". According to Wikipedia, that is the international standard as well. There is no variability. I would be astounded if the TFIF differed from the standard. They would have had to ask a manufacturer to make and supply a non-standard set of corner boards.

Btw, the faceoff dot has nothing to do with it. It is not the the center of curvature for the corner.
It would be great if we were allowed to go out there and measure. :D I agree that the BU thread from February surprised me too. Does Toscano have a short corner or not? It did come up in conversation on the BY though.

The full thread actually starts a little earlier if you’d like to sift through…

Post in thread 'UConn v. #2 Boston University Terriers (Friday 2/23/24 @Toscano Family Ice Forum @7p & Saturday 2/24/24 @Agganis Arena @7p). Both games on ESPN+'
UConn v. #2 Boston University Terriers (Friday 2/23/24 @Toscano Family Ice Forum @7p & Saturday 2/24/24 @Agganis Arena @7p). Both games on ESPN+

Reaction Score
It would be great if we were allowed to go out there and measure. :D I agree that the BU thread from February surprised me too. Does Toscano have a short corner or not? It did come up in conversation on the BY though.

The full thread actually starts a little earlier if you’d like to sift through…

It just seems completely illogical that the UConn hockey programs would want a manufacturer to produce a custom product with a non-standard radius which means completely different tooling and perhaps three times the cost. So I am pretty sure that the corner board radii are not what we are talking about. It must be some other dimension.

Reaction Score
It just seems completely illogical that the UConn hockey programs would want a manufacturer to produce a custom product with a non-standard radius which means completely different tooling and perhaps three times the cost. So I am pretty sure that the corner board radii are not what we are talking about. It must be some other dimension.
You may be right, and I agree it does seem odd. It’s one of those notions that’s a head scratcher, but has been brought up in conversation before. I’ll try and find a way to bring brasssbonanza zls4r and Sea Goat into this thread and see if they can also elaborate on what they meant back in February.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. I’ll try and find a way to bring brasssbonanza zls4r and Sea Goat into this thread and see if they can also elaborate on what they meant back in February.
One way to do that is to use the @ symbol before their names which will send them a notification that they've been mentioned in the thread:
@BrassBonanza @zls44 @Sea Goat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom