Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions

Reaction Score
Wanna know the sad truth? They direct you to the south parking garage next to the football complex. That’s where they expect you to park for games at toscano. On the bright side though, you’ll get your steps in for the day
But they have a whole bunch of spaces wide open in the West lot. And on the map there are a whole bunch of spaces shown on the South side that are not there. This is the second year for the TFIF is it not? Are they still planning to expand the onsite parking or is this simply not a priority?

Reaction Score
I’ve come to a conclusion on the size that it’s about right. The student deck is dumb and ought to just be filled with bleachers in the shout term. But if the team can’t win there, I’m not sure you can complain about fans not showing up. What they need to figure out is how to get unused tickets back on the market. That’s the problem with selling out to season ticket holders. But you also need to win games. They are something like 2-11 there. They can’t score. Baffling.

Reaction Score
So, @freescooter , i owe you a small apology.

While sitting through that debacle last night, and listening to the band - i thought of your earlier post. I think i heard what you're referencing, and i loosely agree with it, but i have a different remedy.

They need to move the drums to the top of the band, i.e. above the glass. For the majority of the rink, you can barely hear the drums at all, and it makes the band sound "soft," meaning there isn't a hard beat to drive on. I think it would fix the issue you referenced earlier.

Yet another reason my riser on the deck idea would work, too.
All the top hockey bands start from the top of the bowl stretching perhaps half way down the bowl with the sousaphones on the top row and the drums on the concourse if possible. I have seen a lot of hockey bands.

Reaction Score
All the top hockey bands start from the top of the bowl stretching perhaps half way down the bowl with the sousaphones on the top row and the drums on the concourse if possible. I have seen a lot of hockey bands.
They take up the entire abbreviated section directly behind the opposing goalie. While the band has spirit, sorry to say that it was bad planning to have them in that key position of the arena. That’s a spot that needs to be held by raucous student fans, of the type that existed at XL in the first 3-4 seasons of UConn’s foray into HE.

Reaction Score
Season ticket holders got an email to park in South Garage for $15. We parked in the lot of the dorms across the street. After the womens game we moved to the west lot where we have the pass. I don’t know who makes these decisions. Other than that I had a great time at the womens game. Hope to be there Wednesday for the semifinal.

Reaction Score
They take up the entire abbreviated section directly behind the opposing goalie. While the band has spirit, sorry to say that it was bad planning to have them in that key position of the arena. That’s a spot that needs to be held by raucous student fans, of the type that existed at XL in the first 3-4 seasons of UConn’s foray into HE.
They weren't there yesterday afternoon so I did not know that. They need to be in a corner and up high. Just like at XL. And amplified.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was disappointed the Pep Band wasn’t there at the womens game.
Not sure why they weren't there or what they were doing other than being on break. But I will note that Clarkson's band was at the Whittmore Center for the national semi-finals even though Clarkson was on break at the time. Alums filled in for the student members who could not be there. Clarkson sadly lost that game (they were still dead tired from the 5x20 minute OT game from the weekend before). But the Clarkson band thoroughly outclassed Ohio State's which is kinda saying something.

Reaction Score
Found this article, just thought it was interesting.

Very interesting. Personally I think the ECAC barns have a lot of character too. Lynah, Hobey Baker, Houston, Achilles, Appleton, Ingalls, Class of 65. I haven't made the numbers, but I think their footprint is almost as compact as HE's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very interesting. Personally I think the ECAC barns have a lot of character too. Lynah, Hobey Baker, Houston, Achilles, Appleton, Ingalls, Class of 65. I haven't made the numbers, but I think their footprint is almost as compact as HE's.
Ezoic

The best: Toscano Family Ice Forum (UConn). A palace. Made specifically for hockey in the modern era, the seating area was built at such an angle that fans don’t just feel like they’re on top of the action, they are on top of the action. It’s intimate, the acoustics are great, and will provide a recruiting edge so profound I predict UConn will be a Hockey East contender starting soon and for years to come.

:D

Reaction Score
Ezoic

The best: Toscano Family Ice Forum (UConn). A palace. Made specifically for hockey in the modern era, the seating area was built at such an angle that fans don’t just feel like they’re on top of the action, they are on top of the action. It’s intimate, the acoustics are great, and will provide a recruiting edge so profound I predict UConn will be a Hockey East contender starting soon and for years to come.

Certainly the most money spent on the fewest seats, that is for sure. I was addressing character though. Whether or not Toscano is better than M&T or Cheel was a question left moot. At least in the latter two barns the pep bands always show up, they can be heard, and they are world class.

Reaction Score
What is the deal with WHOC season tickets? All are general admission?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Certainly the most money spent on the fewest seats, that is for sure. I was addressing character though. Whether or not Toscano is better than M&T or Cheel was a question left moot. At least in the latter two barns the pep bands always show up, they can be heard, and they are world class.
I have never been to Toscano, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, heck take it with a whole bag of salt, but it would seem to me that a few changes would make a world of difference in the game day atmosphere at Toscano. First knock down the random concrete block house (not so affectionally known as the student deck) and replace it with seating. The second is replace the windows in the ice level lounge with TVs and put a couple of HD cameras at about board level and broadcast the feed into the lounge. That would allow us to replace that section with seating. Those two changes would give us a contiguous bowl, which I think would up the energy level. Third, set up a system that easily allows season-ticket holders the ability to return their tickets to be re-sold by Connecticut. Half the profits from whatever revenue Connecticut gets from that could be used as a credit for future purchases.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The first suggestion is great, they won’t do the second and they can’t be bothered on the third. Good batting average tho!

Reaction Score
I have never been to Toscano, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, heck take it with a whole bag of salt, but it would seem to me that a few changes would make a world of difference in the game day atmosphere at Toscano. First knock down the random concrete block house (not so affectionally known as the student deck) and replace it with seating. The second is replace the windows in the ice level lounge with TVs and put a couple of HD cameras at about board level and broadcast the feed into the lounge. That would allow us to replace that section with seating. Those two changes would give us a contiguous bowl, which I think would up the energy level. Third, set up a system that easily allows season-ticket holders the ability to return their tickets to be re-sold by Connecticut. Half the profits from whatever revenue Connecticut gets from that could be used as a credit for future purchases.
So apparently there are a lot of quite well to do patrons who care nothing about hockey who are buying up the season tickets simply to game the points system. They never show up.

Incentivize those people to turn the tickets back in so that they could be resold by UConn to people who really care. Give them point credit for the resale. All done electronically. Fill the barn with those who care.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So apparently there are a lot of quite well to do patrons who care nothing about hockey who are buying up the season tickets simply to game the points system. They never show up.
That's what we used to do back in the 80's. I though they got rid of that?

Reaction Score

Incentivize those people to turn the tickets back in so that they could be resold by UConn to people who really care. Give them point credit for the resale. All done electronically. Fill the barn with those who care.
I doubt this is the case.

Reaction Score
How else to explain the data? Empty house, no tickets available?
The “empty house” is more the result of the team performance last season. I can’t speak for others but I have had no problem getting tickets at Toscano.

Reaction Score
Ezoic

Sure the TFIF is an excellent facility for the players, but it’s obvious this writer has never been to an actual game there and just reiterated what is seen in promotional materials. The fan experience and atmosphere is poor as has been described ad infinitum in this thread.

What isn’t mentioned is the tight corner radius which means led room to maneuver. That doesn’t sit will with skilled players who need or enjoy a little more space to make plays. If recruiting is geared towards the grinders and kickers and physical players, then the sheet is perfect.

Reaction Score
Sure the TFIF is an excellent facility for the players, but it’s obvious this writer has never been to an actual game there and just reiterated what is seen in promotional materials. The fan experience and atmosphere is poor as has been described ad infinitum in this thread.

One man's trash is another man's treasure…

“In my third year covering Hockey East for USCHO, I set out to see at least one game in each arena. Luckily, living in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire I’m within an hour drive of more than half the league, so I didn’t even have to put too many miles on my car.

With my Hockey East press pass in hand, I hit the road to see all 11 league venues, and what follows is my summary highlighting what I liked (and a little bit of what I didn’t) about the experience at each building. Since I do little “on-deadline” writing for USCHO, I did my best to see each venue from a fan’s perspective, rather than report only the view from the press box.”

Reaction Score
The “empty house” is more the result of the team performance last season. I can’t speak for others but I have had no problem getting tickets at Toscano.
It’s interesting to note that it would seem that season ticket renewals have fallen - or have shifted to XL only in my case. Here’s the last paragraph of an email recently received from the ticket office.

“There is no deadline to contact us to upgrade to season tickets or adjust XL Center seating, and you may do so at any time, but for the best selection we encourage you to connect with us before the general public sale begins on Monday, July 8. This offer is available on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last.”

I assume if they are opening up opportunities to become Toscano Season ticket holders to the general public it means that there is an inventory for that hasn’t existed before.

Reaction Score
“In my third year covering Hockey East for USCHO, I set out to see at least one game in each arena. Luckily, living in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire I’m within an hour drive of more than half the league, so I didn’t even have to put too many miles on my car.

With my Hockey East press pass in hand, I hit the road to see all 11 league venues, and what follows is my summary highlighting what I liked (and a little bit of what I didn’t) about the experience at each building. Since I do little “on-deadline” writing for USCHO, I did my best to see each venue from a fan’s perspective, rather than report only the view from the press box.”
Thanks for the background. Incredible really. How these observations ended up so counter to the perceptions of people who regularly attend or attended games is more than baffling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom