Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn's Architect

Sacred Heart's Architect

IMG_0812.jpeg

Note that the student deck was not a part of the original concept.

Reaction Score
LOL are you blind?
Who knows when someone came up with the genius idea to replace seats with standing room - maybe the designer's previous project was a soccer stadium - but it was certainly part of the plans when the project was approved. "A student-only standing room deck will also be situated behind the opposing goaltender."

Approval Announcement

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Who knows when someone came up with the genius idea to replace seats with standing room - maybe the designer's previous project was a soccer stadium - but it was certainly part of the plans when the project was approved. "A student-only standing room deck will also be situated behind the opposing goaltender."

Approval Announcement
Standing room that you cannot see the ice from. If you lean on the counter and stand on your tippy toes you just about can see the near goal. Anyone behind that point cannot see the ice unless they are Donovan Clingan. It is completely wasted space.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL are you blind?
Is that with the current student deck looks like to you? Because to me it kind a looks like someone erected a concrete block house at the end of the rink.

Reaction Score

Approval Announcement
I’m still at a loss to determine whether it was designed by Moe, Larry or Curly.

Reaction Score
I’m still at a loss to determine whether it was designed by Moe, Larry or Curly.

Sadly the “lets be everything to everyone at the expense of atmosphere” design doesn’t even approach those boys. It was Shemp!

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Sadly the “let's be everything to everyone at the expense or atmosphere” design doesn’t even approach those boys. It was Shemp!
Benedict: "We still want the student deck, but we don't have the money for it. Do you think you could cobble something together out of some concrete blocks?"

Construction foreman:

Reaction Score
I agree that the student deck is pretty bogus. Seems more like a place to put more tables to sell stuff. I’m a pretty tall guy and I couldn’t see much from there. In the fullness of time I think they add seats there or put refreshment stands there. I thought the rest of the facility was fine. Good sight lines from the places I sat. Loud enough. Now that we play on campus can we lose Brass Bonanza? It is UConn hockey, not the Whalers. Play the fight song.

Reaction Score
I agree that the student deck is pretty bogus. Seems more like a place to put more tables to sell stuff. I’m a pretty tall guy and I couldn’t see much from there. In the fullness of time I think they add seats there or put refreshment stands there. I thought the rest of the facility was fine. Good sight lines from the places I sat. Loud enough. Now that we play on campus can we lose Brass Bonanza? It is UConn hockey, not the Whalers. Play the fight song.

Couldn’t agree more with Brass Bonanza. I’ve always hated it being used Anywhere outside of the Whale! Let Brass Bonanza lie dormant with the Whalers…it should never have been used to begin with. The Hartford Whalers can always hold reign over the baddest logo and best goal song/sound in the NHL. It still would hold true if not for keeping that the Whalers legacy. Play the Fight Song!!

CL82

Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more with Brass Bonanza. I’ve always hated it being used Anywhere outside of the Whale! Let Brass Bonanza lie dormant with the Whalers…it should never have been used to begin with. The Hartford Whalers can always hold reign over the baddest logo and best goal song/sound in the NHL. It still would hold true if not for keeping that the Whalers legacy. Play the Fight Song!!
I agree with this in theory, but I kinda like hearing Brass Bonanza.

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

Reaction Score
I agree with this in theory, but I kinda like hearing Brass Bonanza.

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco
Attend Hartford Athletic matches then. They wear green and blue and it works for them. Unfortunately they also hired Lance the announcer so you would hear his pathetic announcement of opponent goals there too.

UConn should only play BB at the XL center maybe and def go with the fight song on campus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Unfortunately they also hired Lance the announcer so you would hear his pathetic announcement of opponent goals there too.
I like Lance at Athletic games! But you are right, the pathetic announcement schtick has run it's course. He stopped doing it late in the season.

Reaction Score
I like Lance at Athletic games! But you are right, the pathetic announcement schtick has run it's course. He stopped doing it late in the season.

That's probably because there are fewer announcements to be made there ;). I like his voice and enthusiasm for player pronunciations, but the sad Lance has to go (again). It only deflates the home team and revs up the opponent bench.

Reaction Score
That's probably because there are fewer announcements to be made there ;). I like his voice and enthusiasm for player pronunciations, but the sad Lance has to go (again). It only deflates the home team and revs up the opponent bench.
It's also bush league.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
So this picture is me standing a few feet back on the student deck. I held my hands over my head. I was wrong about Clingan being able to see from here. He’d have to stand on his own shoulders for that to work. Totally wasted space.

IMG_7187.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen a game at Toscano, but having watched a few games being played there now, I gotta say that all of the comments I’ve read here regarding the atmosphere and feel, are valid. I found it a little bit depressing to be honest. I know students being away and some other things certainly play a part, but overall I can see where some of you arrive at that opinion. I do think it will improve but it might take a few seasons and some tweaks. Win.

Reaction Score
I think the crowd at Toscanini is much older. At least that is my take. And honestly the band has zero idea of how to be a hockey pep band. That has always been a problem but is worse now that we are this far in. They have a basketball feel. They don’t harass the other goalies. They don’t make fun of the refs. They are, in a word, too polite.

Reaction Score
I think the crowd at Toscanini is much older. At least that is my take. And honestly the band has zero idea of how to be a hockey pep band. That has always been a problem but is worse now that we are this far in. They have a basketball feel. They don’t harass the other goalies. They don’t make fun of the refs. They are, in a word, too polite.
I agree. The fans need to take some of the blame for the atmosphere too. The crowd is older and quieter and the student section’s participation is virtually nil when compared to other schools. Look at QPac, UNH, BU, BC, or Maine’s student sections. Is there a hockey student section club? Maybe they need to create something like that.

Reaction Score
So this picture is me standing a few feet back on the student deck. I held my hands over my head. I was wrong about Clingan being able to see from here. He’d have to stand on his own shoulders for that to work. Totally wasted space.

View attachment 93176
The damn building looks like it was built by committee. Everybody got their stupid feature incorporated into the design. Go look at Sacred Heart's arena built for about the same money!

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I agree. The fans need to take some of the blame for the atmosphere too. The crowd is older and quieter and the student section’s participation is virtually nil when compared to other schools. Look at QPac, UNH, BU, BC, or Maine’s student sections. Is there a hockey student section club? Maybe they need to create something like that.
Every time I yelled last night people looked at me like I was physically assaulting them. Not one U C O N N cheer the entire night. I yelled at the refs after the embellishment call and even got the stink eye for that.

Reaction Score
Toscano is the least intimidating environment for opposing teams to come into ... even Alaska Anchorage came into the building last year with a student-only crowd and took UConn to OT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom