Top? | The Boneyard

Top?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Fill in the blank with a number:
UConn has six of the nation's top ______ players in women's college basketball.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn has six of the nation's top 15 players in women's college basketball.

There are some very talented players in Division 1WCBB.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Here is the list of the top 25 players in D1 WCBB for 2016-2017. 11 of them will return this season. Only 2 UConn players are on this list.

[LINK]

Reaction Score
Five
Interesting posting---Uconn has 6 of the 5 top players??? Oh, you are a Duke fan--bad blood??
But I tend to go along thinking there should have been 2 blanks---pick the Uconn number --among x numbers.
This is a speculation of Uconn vs a speculation of Div WBB players. Speculation is funny, it makes a cloud day sunny,what to do/,what to do??

Reaction Score
Just some thoughts about the top 25 list:
1. And does everyone agree those are the top 25 players in D1 WCBB right now?
2. I thought Diamond DeShields was going pro. If so, that means, even if you accept all the rest, that it's the top 24.
3. And, of course, the list cannot, by definition, include rookies or incoming transfers. Does anyone doubt that Azura belongs on that list? I don't know about Batouly, but I have to believe the first time Azura steps on the court, she's better than at least a few of those on thje list.
4. And speaking of that list, does everyone agree that Katie Lou is #17? I'm not her biggest fan, but I think she's better and more valuable than, say, Makayla Epps. 5. And then there is the issue of Gabby Williams. Where did the most complete player in women's college basketball go? She's not on that list? Really?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's nearly impossible to compare players who are at different positions. For example, Kia Nurse has the ball in her hands much more than say Brianna Turner, but Brianna probably averages many more PPG than Kia because Kia is a scorer AND a facilitator. One is a guard and one is a forward.

Having said that, if you go position by position, I'd say our post players are 3 of the 6 best in the nation (Gabby, Napheesa, and I'm counting Azura for the purposes of this post). I'd say KLS is the #1 wing in the nation. And I'd say Danger and Kia are 2 of the top 5 guards in the entire nation.

So if my math is correct, I'd say we have 6 of the top 12 players in the nation.

Reaction Score
Just some thoughts about the top 25 list:
1. And does everyone agree those are the top 25 players in D1 WCBB right now?
2. I thought Diamond DeShields was going pro. If so, that means, even if you accept all the rest, that it's the top 24.
3. And, of course, the list cannot, by definition, include rookies or incoming transfers. Does anyone doubt that Azura belongs on that list? I don't know about Batouly, but I have to believe the first time Azura steps on the court, she's better than at least a few of those on thje list.
4. And speaking of that list, does everyone agree that Katie Lou is #17? I'm not her biggest fan, but I think she's better and more valuable than, say, Makayla Epps. 5. And then there is the issue of Gabby Williams. Where did the most complete player in women's college basketball go? She's not on that list? Really?

The list is from 2016-2017. This is why Diamond is on the list and Gabby isn't.

Reaction Score
Here is the list of the top 25 players in D1 WCBB for 2016-2017. 11 of them will return this season. Only 2 UConn players are on this list.

[LINK]
The list was announced Nov 10, 2016. So they were based on the 2015-2016 results since 2016-2017 session had not been started.

It is in-accurate to have a top list without Napheeza.

Reaction Score

[LINK]

This list was at the beginning of last season... Nov. 10, 2016. I don't believe it represents the best 25 players at the end of the season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This list was at the beginning of last season... Nov. 10, 2016. I don't believe it represents the best 25 players at the end of the season.

Thanks.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I could not find a Top 25 list for the upcoming season, so I used what was available. Even though it was last year's list (and 14 have graduated), it shows that there are several talented players in Division 1 returning this year. I posted it to illustrate the other players around the country voters and analysts think are the best in Division 1.

I was surprised that only 2 UConn players made the list. Especially since 3 of them were recognized as ALL Americans. It will be interesting to see who is on the top 25 list for 2017-2018. I can think of SIX UConn players that should be on it!! :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's nearly impossible to compare players who are at different positions. For example, Kia Nurse has the ball in her hands much more than say Brianna Turner, but Brianna probably averages many more PPG than Kia because Kia is a scorer AND a facilitator. One is a guard and one is a forward.

Having said that, if you go position by position, I'd say our post players are 3 of the 6 best in the nation (Gabby, Napheesa, and I'm counting Azura for the purposes of this post). I'd say KLS is the #1 wing in the nation. And I'd say Danger and Kia are 2 of the top 5 guards in the entire nation.

So if my math is correct, I'd say we have 6 of the top 12 players in the nation.
A fresh wind on a dark and dreary night. Position by position is the true comparison---but uconn is a tough compare --

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Uconn has 6 of the nations top Uconn Women's basketball players inUCONN Women's College Basketball THIS PAST YEAR]
DENY THAT!!!!
Dude! That Purple Passion has delivered you into a Purple Haze. Everclear strange name for something that does not allow for clear thought.

Reaction Score
Dude! That Purple Passion has delivered you into a Purple Haze. Everclear strange name for something that does not allow for clear thought.
Any passion less in color than blue, white trimmed with red, shall not turn purple. Ambiguously stated premises---require a less that numerical response--at least that is what the third person of my 7 personality stated. If you care to wait 1 minute or two--person 4 may have a different response.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Fill in the blank with a number:
UConn has six of the nation's top ______ players in women's college basketball.
I feel certain UCONN has 4 players in the top ten players in the USA. They are Collier, Williams, Samuelson, and Stevens. They all will be somewhere on the AP’s All-America 1st and 2nd teams. I think Nurse will be an AP AA honorable mention. So say 5 in top 20. My jury is still out on Dangerfield and I don’t believe Walker is the 2nd coming of Invincible Queen who was an AA as a frosh … soph, jr, sr.

Statistics won’t yield a favorable response. Sometimes “money ball” just does not work.
2016-17 NCAA Women’s Basketball Season
The following are the positions each UCONN player finished nationally for a given statistic. Statistics were limited to the top 144 to 250 players depending on the statistic. Usually 250 was the limit. Before any of you fly over the cuckoo’s nest there are stated minimums that must be met in order to qualify for national ranking such free throws 2.5 made per game. Ergo Kia Nurse is not nationally ranked with her 85.6% FT%.
Code:
SCORING
16    Napheesa Collier
18    Katie Lou Samuelson

REBOUNDS
50    Napheesa Collier
90    Gabby Williams

TOTAL ASSISTS
24    Gabby Williams
128   Kia Nurse

ASSISTS TURNOVER RATIO
20    Kia Nurse
43    Gabby Williams
50    Crystal Dangerfield
109   Katie Lou Samuelson

TOTAL BLOCKED SHOTS
22    Napheesa Collier
80    Gabby Williams

FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
3     Napheesa Collier
18    Gabby Williams
81    Katie Lou Samuelson

FREE THROW PERCENTAGE)
46    Katie Lou Samuelson
78    Napheesa Collier

3 POINT FG PERCENTAGE
5    Kia Nurse
17   Katie Lou Samuelson

STEALS
10    Gabby Williams
105   Napheesa Collier

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe UCONN has 5 of the top 25 WCBB and 4 of the top 10 based on performance last year & USA basketball team selections.
I am intentionally excluding Turner (injured) of ND, Shapard (Transfer), and the entire 2017 Freshmen class until they prove themselves.
My rankings:
1. A. Wilson (SC)
2. G. Williams (UCONN)
3. K. Mitchell (tOSU)
4. K. Samuelson (UCONN)
5. A. Stevens (UCONN)
6. N. Collier (UCONN)
7. J. Canada (UCLA)
8. K. Brown (Baylor)
9. K. Anigwe (CAL)
10. L. Brown (Duke)
11. A. Durr (Louisville)