Top Ten Shooting Guards: Ray Ray #8 | The Boneyard

Top Ten Shooting Guards: Ray Ray #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw a list yesterday where Espn ranked the top 10 point guards of all time. They ranked Steph 4th, behind only Magic, Oscar and Stockton and ahead of Isiah, Nash, Kidd, Bob Cousy, Gary Payton, and Jerry West, although he could be considered a SG. I may be the only one but this really ticked me off. Steph is great and all but he has only been great 3+ seasons. The hype train is too influential nowadays

Reaction Score
I saw a list yesterday where Espn ranked the top 10 point guards of all time. They ranked Steph 4th, behind only Magic, Oscar and Stockton and ahead of Isiah, Nash, Kidd, Bob Cousy, Gary Payton, and Jerry West, although he could be considered a SG. I may be the only one but this really ticked me off. Steph is great and all but he has only been great 3+ seasons. The hype train is too influential nowadays

West is considered a SG. That's why he's #3 on the SG list. The PG list was:

1) Magic
2) Big O
3) Stockton
4) Curry
5) Zeke
6) CP3
7) Nash
8) Kidd
9) Frazier
10) Cousy

Though I agree that's too high for Curry.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but I've read that Jerry West was more of a Point Guard than a SG, atleast is considered as such, kinda in a similar boat as AI, but moreso. Couldn't believe Gary Payton wasn't on the list though, maybe the greatest defender of all time and a very good offensive player as well, also Id like to add Kevin Johnson to my list as well.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Wow, Bob Cousy. Great respect for Bob. The game has changed big time since Bob graced the hardwood. Trying to think how he would be today.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Of all time (NBA): Linky

1. MJ
  2. Kobe
  3. West
  4. D-Wade
  5. Drexler
  6. AI
  7. George Garvin
  8. Ray Allen
  9. Reggie Miller
  10. Earl Monroe
I guess that settles the debate on the Curry thread days ago. I was wondering how he would compare to Ray. Thanks for the info Kit, very interesting.

Reaction Score
Pistol Pete was one of the most spectacular things you ever saw in College Basketball. As a pro ... he was inconsistent and only had truly stellar years a few times. Mostly underachieving on modest teams; never the Winning component. Entertainment value? Huge.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
What has CP3 done that he should be on anyone's list?
Dennis Johnson has how many titles? Nate Archibald? Tony Parker?
What happened to Pistol Pete?

Chris Paul is better than any of them. What has he done? Besides be the best PG in the NBA, you mean? Dennis Johnson? I'm a Celtics homer but c'mon.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Chris Paul is better than any of them. What has he done? Besides be the best PG in the NBA, you mean? Dennis Johnson? I'm a Celtics homer but c'mon.
I'd rather have DJ on my team any day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

And how has that translated so far for CP3 as far as team achievements go??

hes been the most overrated guy in the NBA for years. His teams have literally never done anything whatsoever. All individual accolades and hype for cp3. You'd think the "best" floor general and point guard in the NBA would be able to lead his team to some success. You could think so. But you'd be wrong in this case.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Kidd should be higher than CP3, at the very least higher than 8. He was one of the best ever in the traditional PG sense, and he added the rebounding aspect better than most PGs. I'd take him over CP3 prime vs prime.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
My list would have Kidd and Curry swap and Nash and CP3 swap... Agreed that it's waaaaay too early to have Curry as the 4th greatest PG ever. Magic, O, Stockton, Kidd, Isaiah, Nash, Paul

Reaction Score
Curry is unreal but it's ridiculous having him ahead of Isiah Thomas, glad Magic called it out.

Reaction Score
my list would go:
Magic
Big O
Isiah
Kidd
Stockton
Nash
Cousy
Payton
Curry
Clyde

I still think it's too early to rank Curry higher, he's had 3 great seasons.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
And how has that translated so far for CP3 as far as team achievements go??

hes been the most overrated guy in the NBA for years. His teams have literally never done anything whatsoever. All individual accolades and hype for cp3. You'd think the "best" floor general and point guard in the NBA would be able to lead his team to some success. You could think so. But you'd be wrong in this case.

I'm sure Paul would've had some success on the '86 Celtics.

Barkley never won a ring. You gonna take Horry over him?

Reaction Score
I'm sure Paul would've had some success on the '86 Celtics.

Barkley never won a ring. You gonna take Horry over him?

I never once mentioned anything about rings. Sick argument. Paul has never even sniffed a ring. Barkley got denied by MJ. Such shame in that. Paul Has won like four playoff series in his entire career. And his teams have never done anything special in the regular season. He barely ever has a "wow" blow up type game. As opposed to Westbrook who does it once a week.

Chris Paul is massively overrated. I've been saying it for years. Not that he isn't a very good point guard (great even). But overwhelmingly regarded as the best pg in the league for years and now 6th best all time? Gimme a break.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I never once mentioned anything about rings. Sick argument. Paul has never even sniffed a ring. Barkley got denied by MJ. Such shame in that. Paul Has won like four playoff series in his entire career. And his teams have never done anything special in the regular season. He barely ever has a "wow" blow up type game. As opposed to Westbrook who does it once a week.

Chris Paul is massively overrated. I've been saying it for years. Not that he isn't a very good point guard (great even). But overwhelmingly regarded as the best pg in the league for years and now 6th best all time? Gimme a break.

He carried his Hornets teams. And his Clippers teams have been flawed and faced very stiff competition. It's all an extension of the rings argument. His individual playoff performances have been very good. Not saying he's the 6th best PG of all time but I'd take him 7 days a week over DJ, who I loved. And over Nash, who played on one side of the court only. What would Parker have won without the players around him? Would he have taken the Hornets to the Finals? I doubt it.

I realize that stats and awards aren't everything but he's 1st team all-defense every year, all-NBA every year, and he's got absolutely amazing advanced stats.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Yeah, I would love to see Paul guard Magic in his prime.

Reaction Score
Cp3 underrated on the yard ? His WORST season is better than Zekes best. It's not all about rings some players aren't blessed to play on a team with talent like the 80s pistons.

Reaction Score
He carried his Hornets teams. And his Clippers teams have been flawed and faced very stiff competition. It's all an extension of the rings argument. His individual playoff performances have been very good. Not saying he's the 6th best PG of all time but I'd take him 7 days a week over DJ, who I loved. And over Nash, who played on one side of the court only. What would Parker have won without the players around him? Would he have taken the Hornets to the Finals? I doubt it.

I realize that stats and awards aren't everything but he's 1st team all-defense every year, all-NBA every year, and he's got absolutely amazing advanced stats.

He's a great player. I'm not saying he's not. But I never understood how he was unquestionably thought of as the best point guard and top 5 player in the NBA for years with very little to show for it.

Reaction Score
Cp3 underrated on the yard ? His WORST season is better than Zekes best. It's not all about rings some players aren't blessed to play on a team with talent like the 80s pistons.
There always has to be someone in the crowd. Lol at CP3 being better than Zeke.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's a great player. I'm not saying he's not. But I never understood how he was unquestionably thought of as the best point guard and top 5 player in the NBA for years with very little to show for it.

There just really wasn't anyone at his level once Nash fell off. Deron Williams was the flavor of the month until he went to Brooklyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom