Top story lines in WCBB to watch in 2018-19 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top story lines in WCBB to watch in 2018-19

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, UConn had 6 McD AA’s on the team last year along with one member of the Canadian National team: Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, Megan, Mikayla & Kia....Just saying...
The thought (amazing isn't it) just ran through this vacant area: How many top teams had equal or more McDAA's or Coaches AA's etc and have never exceeded Uconn's FF's for NC's or even come close? If that were the ONLY prerequisite Geno would be a spectator at the FF/NC's.
The reason I ask you--you have more specific facts access than I.
Kia, I'm not sure she has yet been given the credit she earned at Uconn: Playing in nearly every game, replacing a Senior as a frosh, for 4 years. How often does that happen?

Reaction Score
I will be at the Vanguard exhibition game next Sunday. I know, it will be very one-sided, but nevertheless I`m very interested in it and will be looking at a number of things that have little to do with the opponent, including:

1. How is Lou moving. Is she cutting hard to the hoop? Curling off of screens? Moving her feet on defense? Elevating on her three pointers?

2. How is Crystal moving?

3. Same question, Coombs and Camara.

4. What will CW`s presence feel like?

5. ONO should dominate against a Division II opponent, even a really good one. Will she? Can she display some sturdiness inside?

6. Will MW look way, way better?

If everything checks out, UConn has more than enough going for it to get to Tampa in April. Then, it really is a case of who is playing well and who gets the breaks. All three Final Four games in Columbus could have easily gone the other way. A missed shot, a strange bounce, a questionable call.

Notre Dame does look great on paper but who knows what they will look like in April. And even if they are playing great, their opponent only has to be better for 40 minutes. (Well, maybe 45!) If you think they are invincible, check out the game film of their regular season game against Louisville last season.

Maybe some other team will emerge based upon contributions from a player or two not currently on the radar screen. Who would have guessed that Syracuse would have made it to the 2016 Championship game? Or that Griner and Baylor would have missed out when she was a Senior?

Should be loads of fun!

Good show! Well done, enjoyed reading this, thanks.
As I did with the Mich Fab 5 team of old, ND is the team I like to dislike, they are that good.
They have a coaching staff that is exceptional, maybe not of Uconn's exceptional but if not equal close. They recruit well, even do much better with transfers. Then there is the mystique of the Basketball gods and refs being on their side.
As any season begins there are 4 teams I would not count out: Uconn, ND, Louisville, (now) Ms St. We have been spoiled by too many loss-less seasons. Reality is; every School has a team that loses at some time also losing to a top motivated team is no insult. Most teams that play Uconn, when they smell blood, are almost fanatically motivated to win.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think ND way overachieved last year considering their roster. Turner returning most likely helps them, but I have a feeling it’ll be more of a return to the norm for ND.
Hold on to that feeling.

Make no mistake, this is one talented crew Muffet has. Not a lot of speed, but they have size at every position. It's maybe her most stocked team ever. They look like the best front 5 in WCBB. Yet the real questions for ND is how well do all these pieces work together? How well will Turner and Shepard play underneath, work the high/low? With all of her success last year basically as the number one option, can Arike willingly take less shots and share with Young who needs the ball. Conversely, can Young be the consistent player she's capable of being? Against some teams Young is going to be a nightmare. Can she be that player every night? Mabrey will continue to be the stretch option, and if she can hit close to 50% from the arc this team will be tough to stop. What do Vaughn and Cosgrove really bring to the table besides energy, size and defense? If they bring some consistent offense, man.... Dixon is a playa, no doubt, but she is a freshman. Gilbert is a baller too. And for all their talents neither Young, Arike or Mabrey aren't true PG's. Can one of these two step up early and spell Arike and Young with quality minutes?

Patterson can really be a key player for Muffet at the 3. She's going to see a lot of open looks from the perimeter and a lot of space inside with Shepard and Turner playing the Hi/Lo. Bringing weak side help with either on the block can leave an open and opportunistic Patterson getting 20 a night.

I like this team man. They got a coach, the swag, the talent, and the knowledge that not only can they beat UConn, but they can win close, hotly contested games.

Yet....Yet.

The toughest thing to do in sports is to repeat, and there are good reasons for this. ND is finally after many years going to find out what it really means to have a target on your back every game. They're going to find out what it means when Harvard and Gonzaga play over their heads just for the chance to say they kept it close against the NCAA champs; when the media and your own fans criticize you when you beat Western Kentucky by 25; where if you lose a game the media and your fans question whether the coach or the team are good enough, or you start seeing headlines that say, "What's wrong with the Irish?"; where anything less than a championship season is deemed a failure; where the pressure to win AND perform well can crush lesser personalities; when suddenly you have more haters than you've ever had before; when certain teammates perhaps start to act a little more expectant and entitled; when what worked last year ain't working this year; where every decision by Muffet is open to question. And more.

Lots more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And for all their talents neither Young, Arike or Mabrey aren't true PG's.

Mabrey as a lead guard is a ND vulnerability that needs to be exploited. She’s not great under pressure. If it were me, I’d consider trapping her every time she crosses the half court line. Get her turnovers up to near double digit per game. If I remember right, I believe she had 9 turnovers during the championship game.

Reaction Score
Mabrey as a lead guard is a ND vulnerability that needs to be exploited. She’s not great under pressure. If it were me, I’d consider trapping her every time she crosses the half court line. Get her turnovers up to near double digit per game. If I remember right, I believe she had 9 turnovers during the championship game.
Mabrey can be exploited on both ends...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Hold on to that feeling.

Make no mistake, this is one talented crew Muffet has. Not a lot of speed, but they have size at every position. It's maybe her most stocked team ever. They look like the best front 5 in WCBB. Yet the real questions for ND is how well do all these pieces work together? How well will Turner and Shepard play underneath, work the high/low? With all of her success last year basically as the number one option, can Arike willingly take less shots and share with Young who needs the ball. Conversely, can Young be the consistent player she's capable of being? Against some teams Young is going to be a nightmare. Can she be that player every night? Mabrey will continue to be the stretch option, and if she can hit close to 50% from the arc this team will be tough to stop. What do Vaughn and Cosgrove really bring to the table besides energy, size and defense? If they bring some consistent offense, man.... Dixon is a playa, no doubt, but she is a freshman. Gilbert is a baller too. And for all their talents neither Young, Arike or Mabrey aren't true PG's. Can one of these two step up early and spell Arike and Young with quality minutes?

Patterson can really be a key player for Muffet at the 3. She's going to see a lot of open looks from the perimeter and a lot of space inside with Shepard and Turner playing the Hi/Lo. Bringing weak side help with either on the block can leave an open and opportunistic Patterson getting 20 a night.

I like this team man. They got a coach, the swag, the talent, and the knowledge that not only can they beat UConn, but they can win close, hotly contested games.

Yet....Yet.

The toughest thing to do in sports is to repeat, and there are good reasons for this. ND is finally after many years going to find out what it really means to have a target on your back every game. They're going to find out what it means when Harvard and Gonzaga play over their heads just for the chance to say they kept it close against the NCAA champs; when the media and your own fans criticize you when you beat Western Kentucky by 25; where if you lose a game the media and your fans question whether the coach or the team are good enough, or you start seeing headlines that say, "What's wrong with the Irish?"; where anything less than a championship season is deemed a failure; where the pressure to win AND perform well can crush lesser personalities; when suddenly you have more haters than you've ever had before; when certain teammates perhaps start to act a little more expectant and entitled; when what worked last year ain't working this year; where every decision by Muffet is open to question. And more.

Lots more.

Exceptional post!!!!!

Three point stand out:
1. Coexistance of Turner and Shepard. Can they share the spotlight?
2. Mabrey being the "lead guard" is still a small negative to exploit and will Arike settle for less shots?
3. ND is about to find out how really difficult it is to repeat as champions. That is one big target on their back!

A bench full of talent does not guarantee success all the time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Exceptional post!!!!!

Three point stand out:
1. Coexistance of Turner and Shepard. Can they share the spotlight?
2. Mabrey being the "lead guard" is still a small negative to exploit and will Arike settle for less shots?
3. ND is about to find out how really difficult it is to repeat as champions. That is one big target on their back!

A bench full of talent does not guarantee success all the time.

JordyG's post was excellent....enjoyed the analysis and questions raised. And I'm an ND guy ;)
Will respond a bit to the points raised here, as well as others:

1. Coexistence of Turner and Shepard.
I'm utterly sure they can "share the spotlight." One pretty much accepted reason Shepard came to ND was that she and Turner are friends from the AAU Circuit and U.S. National Teams. There won't be any one up-manship.
However, how effective will they be operating as a unit. The plan is for Shep to move to Kat Westbeld's high post with Turner being in the low post. This would take advantage of Shepard's passing, mid-range jumper and driving ability. Plus, they may flip flop. Their interaction is crucial. It won't be for lack of trying.

2a. Mabrey being the lead guard. Mabrey on the defensive end.
- Granted, Mabrey had a tough game against Miss. State, undoubtedly her worst effort since the Louisville game.
However, that performance was a bit of an outlier in the latter part of the season. She picked up her assists total in the ACC and directed the offense well in the NCAA's, tallying 7 in the A&M game. When pressure was put in the backcourt, Young and Ogunowale would help get the ball upcourt, then handing it off to her. Still, Mabrey was getting more confident...her outside shooting improved in the latter part of the season, even with the lead responsibilities.
- That's why Jordan Nixon is on the team. Her role will be like Lily Thompson before she was hurt -- take over the ball-handling responsibilities so Mabrey can get back to the wing.
- Liability on the other end? Huh? First, ND played a 2-3 zone most of the time last year and Mabrey and Young were both pretty active in the "2" slots. And she once again led the Irish in steals. On top of that, she's a willing rebounder on the defensive end (as are all the ND guards). Mabrey is not small -- a well-built, 5'11" athlete who will mix it up.
2b) Will Arike do ok without the shots? If MM has her way, all the Irish will have less shots because there will be guard rotation. And that means less shots for all of them,. It will be notable for Arike, who does like to hoist them. BTW, if there's any player who is often picked on for defensive passivity, it's #24. She got better last year but as the Irish transition back to man-to-man, it's worth paying attention to.
2c) Young does not need the ball, not like Arike. MM wants her to have the ball more, but she'll defer to her senior teammates until necessary.

3) Target on back. Fair enough. They've always been targeted in the ACC to a degree but the NC makes it even bigger and I presume there will no teams not up, up, up for their games.

Once again, good write-up and questions. Look forward to seeing how all this plays out, particularly the Turner-Shepard interplay and how Jordan Nixon fits in.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested in seeing a rematch of Oregon vs ND and Baylor vs Oregon St in the NCAA Tourney this year. And I wonder which wild card will crack the FF. Louisville losing MHA was huge, and MSST's losses have been well documented. Will Stanford rise back up? Texas finally get it together? Can't wait!
I agree that Louisville losing MHA is a HUGE loss. MHA was one tough, physical basketball player, and, was so impressed with her play in every game I saw throughout her collegiate career. Louisville will still be a very, very good team, but not as good without MHA.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

She did. Turnover #9 was with the score tied and ND having the ball with 15 seconds left. William stole the ball, headed down the court, appeared to try to make a pass before being run over by Mabrey, an ND player stole the ball and was fouled. That crazy sequence went from Mabrey potentially being a goat x 2 to her roommate making an amazing shot.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Hold on to that feeling.

Yet....Yet.

Lots more.

Did you really think I'd let this post pass without a long-winded response? ;) Some thoughts:

While Turner is clearly a better overall player than Westbeld, Westbeld was very effective as a "glue" player and ND may miss that. On the subject:

Shepard is a good passer and she and Turner seem to be friends. I'm sure they'll figure out how to work together. Marina/Arike/Jackie already know how to play together, so that should be fine. Marina got accustomed to playing as a facilitator rather than a scorer last year and Jackie is well-practiced in deferring to the other two until the situation calls for her to score.

The thing that most worries me is the bench. Patterson played last year but the game was too fast for her. I still laugh thinking about the time Mabrey grabbed her by the shoulders and physically repositioned her on an out of bounds play. She's reportedly much improved but missed last night's exhibition with a leg injury.

Vaughn is promising but has very little game experience and the others are true freshmen. Nixon is drawing positive reviews and started last night in Mabrey's absence (also a leg injury). Gilbert, Prohaska, and Cosgrove are bigger question marks.

I expect Muffet to revert to her normal 8 or 9 player rotations now that she has the healthy bodies. So these inexperienced players are going to have to play meaningful minutes and exactly how good ND is will depend on how good they are. ND may not be quite as dominant against unranked teams as you might expect out of a #1 team.

Muffet was clearly not thrilled with the team's peformance last night and based on the looks on Jackie's and Bri's faces at the post-game presser, my speculation is that the team received a stern talking-to in the locker room. Lewis is a good DII team (and well-coached by Samantha Quigley Smith) but they scored far too much for Muffet's liking.

I feel there will almost certainly be games where ND lets an inferior team hang around for far too long and I can already imagine the "what's wrong" message board posts coming. Thankfully, the local press is basically limited to the South Bend Trib and they take a pretty light touch on their articles. Any media scrutiny is likely to pale in comparison to Muffet's scrutiny.

So yeah...great starting lineup, ND is deservedly the #1 team but their are definite question marks especially with respect to defense and what exactly the rotation will look like.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Did you really think I'd let this post pass without a long-winded response? ;) Some thoughts:

While Turner is clearly a better overall player than Westbeld, Westbeld was very effective as a "glue" player and ND may miss that. On the subject:

Shepard is a good passer and she and Turner seem to be friends. I'm sure they'll figure out how to work together. Marina/Arike/Jackie already know how to play together, so that should be fine. Marina got accustomed to playing as a facilitator rather than a scorer last year and Jackie is well-practiced in deferring to the other two until the situation calls for her to score.

The thing that most worries me is the bench. Patterson played last year but the game was too fast for her. I still laugh thinking about the time Mabrey grabbed her by the shoulders and physically repositioned her on an out of bounds play. She's reportedly much improved but missed last night's exhibition with a leg injury.

Vaughn is promising but has very little game experience and the others are true freshmen. Nixon is drawing positive reviews and started last night in Mabrey's absence (also a leg injury). Gilbert, Prohaska, and Cosgrove are bigger question marks.

I expect Muffet to revert to her normal 8 or 9 player rotations now that she has the healthy bodies. So these inexperienced players are going to have to play meaningful minutes and exactly how good ND is will depend on how good they are. ND may not be quite as dominant against unranked teams as you might expect out of a #1 team.

Muffet was clearly not thrilled with the team's peformance last night and based on the looks on Jackie's and Bri's faces at the post-game presser, my speculation is that the team received a stern talking-to in the locker room. Lewis is a good DII team (and well-coached by Samantha Quigley Smith) but they scored far too much for Muffet's liking.

I feel there will almost certainly be games where ND lets an inferior team hang around for far too long and I can already imagine the "what's wrong" message board posts coming. Thankfully, the local press is basically limited to the South Bend Trib and they take a pretty light touch on their articles. Any media scrutiny is likely to pale in comparison to Muffet's scrutiny.

So yeah...great starting lineup, ND is deservedly the #1 team but their are definite question marks especially with respect to defense and what exactly the rotation will look like.

Looks like you pretty much agree with me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom