Top story lines in WCBB to watch in 2018-19 | The Boneyard

Top story lines in WCBB to watch in 2018-19

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There's lots of "other" news in the world of Division 1 WCBB. While many of us here are "die-hard" UConn fans (and want to keep abreast of all things UConn), there are other top 25 teams that we should also keep an eye on, especially those we may see in March.

It's natural to want to stay informed about teams on our schedule. We'll take a look at Ohio State in depth after the exhibition game with Vanguard.

As a reminder, here's Lindy's 2018-2019 preseason top 10.

1) Notre Dame
2) Oregon
3) UConn
4) Louisville
5) Baylor
6) Maryland
7) Stanford
8) Tennessee
9) Mississippi State
10) Oregon State

So, without further ado, here we go.......
Halloween is creeping up. Which means it's almost November. Which means it's almost time to tip off the college basketball season. After perhaps the most thrilling Women's Final Four ever, the bar is high for what's next. There are endless story lines, but here's a quick look at some of the biggest we'll be following this season. First, let's look at the AAC.

The results of the American Athletic Conference Preseason Polls are in, and it’s all UConn Huskies, all the time. For starters, the Huskies were predicted to win the conference, by unanimous voting. With coaching legend Geno Auriemma drawing up the plays, and the Huskies piling on undefeated seasons in recent history (including last season when UConn went 16-0), it would have been inept for voters to pick any other team.

Senior forward Katie Lou Samuelson was named Preseason Player of the Year for the first time in her college career. Samuelson was an easy pick for the honor, given her collection of First Team All-American and American Athletic Conference Player of the Year awards. Additionally, she was a big part of the Huskies’ undefeated 2017-18 campaign, leading all UConn scorers with 17.4 points per game and leading the conference in three-point shooting, with a dangerous 47.5 percent from deep.

Napheesa Collier joins Samuelson in UConn’s quest not only to dominate the American Athletic Conference again, but to win the NCAAW Championship with such aplomb that the two seniors rise to the top of WNBA Draft conversations. And Collier has a real chance to accomplish both goals thanks to new weapons she brings into her senior campaign, courtesy of Team USA Head Coach Dawn Staley. Collier practiced with the USA Basketball Women’s National Team and competed in exhibitions in Team USA’s run-up to, and eventual win of, the 2018 FIBA World Cup in Tenerife, Spain.

Of her time with the national team, Staley said, “Napheesa is great. She’s pretty much the same player but she’s a lot more efficient. She understands a lot more. She brings people up to her level as far as how hard she plays, her unselfishness and her ability to be relentless.” And all knowledge gained, Collier has chosen to weaponize for the Huskies. “I’m taking this back to my [UConn] team,” Collier said. “More physicality, the pace of [game], how people see the floor differently.”

So, which teams in the conference have a chance to present some challenges for the Huskies?
Look no further than the Preseason All-Conference First- and Second-Team selections. Removing UConn players from the first team, including Samuelson, Collier and Crystal Dangerfield, that leaves Jasmyne Harris of the Houston Cougars and Kitija Laksa of the South Florida Bulls. From the second team, there is Angela Harris (Houston), Laura Ferreira (South Florida), Alicia Froling of the SMU Mustangs, and Alliya Butts and Mia Davis of the Temple Owls.

South Florida may have had a respectable 13-3 conference record last season, but the three losses were handed to them by none other than the UConn Huskies, who dominated the Bulls every time out, including a 49-100 blowout on Jan. 6, 2018. Houston finished last season with a middling record, but suffered embarrassing losses to the top teams in the conference.

The Cougars’ one meeting with UConn in 2017-18, for example, resulted in an embarrassing 60-point mauling by the Huskies. Against South Florida, the Cougars were defeated, 81-65. The SMU Mustangs, meanwhile, were obliterated by UConn last season, 36-80, and also lost their one contest against South Florida, while the Temple Owls were defeated by UConn in two meetings last season and also lost their two contests against the South Florida Bulls.

Thus, although other teams in the conference have standout players, none have the weapons needed to contend with UConn, let alone defeat them. Now let's look at the rest of WCBB.

Can Notre Dame repeat?

It really was the ultimate twist ending. The team that many observers felt bad for most of last season -- "Poor Notre Dame and all its knee injuries!" -- ended up as the last one standing. After several years in which the Irish seemed so close to winning their second national championship, a season in which they seemed a little too far away instead had a magical conclusion.

Two of them, actually: The buzzer-beating shots to defeat UConn in the national semifinals and Mississippi State in the final, both by Irish guard Arike Ogunbowale, became instant classics. We might never see anything like that again.

But will we see an Irish repeat? History says it's not likely; in the NCAA era, UConn, Tennessee and Southern Cal are the only teams that have won at least two titles in a row. The Trojans did that back in 1983-84. The Huskies' most recent repeat was four in row (2013-16), and Tennessee's most recent was 2007-08.

[Article]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
There's lots of "other" news in the world of Division 1 WCBB. While many of us here are "die-hard" UConn fans (and want to keep abreast of all things UConn), there are other top 25 teams that we should also keep an eye on, especially those we may see in March.

It's always nice to know what the other top ranked teams in WCBB are up to. I hope this post receives a lot of interest/feedback from outside fans and posters as well as my fellow BY'ers. We'll take a look at Ohio State in depth after the exhibition game with Vanguard.

As a reminder, here's Lindy's 2018-2019 preseason top 10.

1) Notre Dame
2) Oregon
3) UConn
4) Louisville
5) Baylor
6) Maryland
7) Stanford
8) Tennessee
9) Mississippi State
10) Oregon State

So, without further a do, here we go..
Halloween is creeping up. Which means it's almost November. Which means it's almost time to tip off the college basketball season. After perhaps the most thrilling Women's Final Four ever, the bar is high for what's next. There are endless story lines, but here's a quick look at five of the biggest we'll be following this season.

1. Can the Irish do it again?

It really was the ultimate twist ending. The team that many observers felt bad for most of last season -- "Poor Notre Dame and all its knee injuries!" -- ended up as the last one standing. After several years in which the Irish seemed so close to winning their second national championship, a season in which they seemed a little too far away instead had a magical conclusion.

Two of them, actually: The buzzer-beating shots to defeat UConn in the national semifinals and Mississippi State in the final, both by Irish guard Arike Ogunbowale, became instant classics. We might never see anything like that again.

But will we see an Irish repeat? History says it's not likely; in the NCAA era, UConn, Tennessee and Southern Cal are the only teams that have won at least two titles in a row. The Trojans did that back in 1983-84. The Huskies' most recent repeat was four in row (2013-16), and Tennessee's most recent was 2007-08.

[Article]
Tennesee games against Uconn were "historic" because Geno climbed the bean plant and cut the Giant off at the knees. None before had made such an impressive leap from "also ran" to Equal to "the one to beat"

Notre Dame is a whole different character: A foe in the Big East that created Notre Dame or Uconn the team to beat in the BE and when in the BE tourney it was always UC or ND sitting on top. Notre Dame is the young brother that takes on his big Brother not out of fear or hate but just to show him--I'm no longer just your kid brother. The thrill of beating the big bro gets the "beat-em" juices flowing. It makes for great theater and great Basketball. Do you think Muffet will wait another 17 years for the next NC?? Geno's reign as top Dog must end, unfortunately, but not this year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Other storylines I’ll be watching:

1. Can Oregon make the leap from good to great? They have the pieces and experience...logic says this year is the year they break through as a perennial top 3-4 team, but will it happen? Side story—how many triple doubles does Ionescu get?

2. How does Ohio State do with a completely new roster? I doubt they’ll be an NCAA tournament team, but I’ll be watching to see how their year unfolds. I think a lot of eyes will be on them.

3. Can Vic work his magic again with a new roster? They have the pieces to be a very good team, Vic has the ability to make them great IMO. Will McCowan show off a better offensive arsenal? How does Howard do in a more perimeter oriented role? Can they dominate the SEC once again?

4. Any Tennessee haters should be licking their chops for this upcoming year....talent level is down in Knoxville but coaching staff is the same. I think Holly needs to have a better year or everyone will come for her head after this season. Right now the fan base is excited for this upcoming year with a deep freshman class and Horston on board for 2019-20, but will another poor year finally be Holly’s undoing?

5. Oregon State should be mighty good once again led by Rueck and Slocum. A final four is most definitely not out of the picture for this team even if they’re under the radar to start the year.

6. How does SC adjust to life after A’ja? Can Staley coach a guard oriented team to be a Final Four threat?

7. Does the underwhelming 2017-18 freshman class make a jump as sophs? Eyes are especially on Walker, Westbrook, and Patterson. Time to rise and shine.

8. Will Geno catch Tara in wins this year? My money says there’s a good chance.

9. Can Louisville repeat their incredible 2017-18 run? Walz has had up and down seasons relative to expectations, but seemed to break through last year with a consistent team that had the pieces to win it all (and almost did.). His star is back along with most contributors...can the magic be repeated or will his team regress?

10. I think everyone loves Sherri Coale...great personality and very likable figure in WBB, but how long is her leash? She’s had 9 straight years of 10+ losses and barely made the tournament last year with a dreadful 16-15 record. And she’s one of the highest paid coaches in the country at over 1m/year. I like her, but realistically she has to be on the chopping block if she doesn’t start producing better teams. Everyone loves to rip ok Mulkey and Aston (especially me), but there’s zero question that they’re significantly outperforming Coale at this point and Oklahoma hasn’t been in the National or Big 12 picture in quite some time. Time to step up, Sherri.

11. Can Baylor get back to the Final Four this year? The last few years they’ve looked like the biggest or 2nd biggest title threat to UCONN, but they lose earlier than they should. Talentwise, this should be one of Kim’s strongest teams ever in the post-Griner era. This should be the year they get over the hump...but will they?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I will give a opinion on a few teams.
Baylor I think it will depend a lot on the pg. They do have a talented team. But I think the loss of Morris. Could keep them from the FF.
Mississippi State they lost four starters. McCowan is back. I think a lot will depend on guard play.
South Carolina Losing Wilson is big. They do have some good players. Just not sure they can beat the top teams without Wilson.
Notre Dame they return Turner. Also they have a deeper bench. They do look to be very strong team.
Tennessee a young team mostly freshman and sophomores. Davis and Westbrook are talented. A lot will depend on the improvment of C. Green and Kasi inside.
Ohio State I don't think will make the NCAA tournament.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Tennesee games against Uconn were "historic" because Geno climbed the bean plant and cut the Giant off at the knees. None before had made such an impressive leap from "also ran" to Equal to "the one to beat"

Notre Dame is a whole different character: A foe in the Big East that created Notre Dame or Uconn the team to beat in the BE and when in the BE tourney it was always UC or ND sitting on top. Notre Dame is the young brother that takes on his big Brother not out of fear or hate but just to show him--I'm no longer just your kid brother. The thrill of beating the big bro gets the "beat-em" juices flowing. It makes for great theater and great Basketball. Do you think Muffet will wait another 17 years for the next NC?? Geno's reign as top Dog must end, unfortunately, but not this year.

There are coaches now as in the past that will not schedule UConn for an out of conference game. They didn't/don't fancy to taking a 30-50 point beat-down, nor could they find any redeeming qualities or advantages (while trying to build momentum, confidence and trust among their players) in doing so.

Of course, there are always a few coaches that do not fear Goliath, and will habitually (gladly) schedule them. Stanford, Maryland, Ohio State, Tennessee, DePaul, Texas, Louisville and of course, Notre Dame.

Some players/teams shutter at the sight of UConn jerseys coming at them on a wicked fast break, some don't. Notre Dame is not afraid of UConn. They welcome and look forward to the challenge of playing one of the perennial top programs in the country every year. UConn vs Notre Dame is always the biggest game on BOTH schedules each year because each represents to the other, a worthy and "elite" opponent that can and may defeat you.

If UConn loses a game or two during the season, they NEVER want it to be against ND, and vice versa. Beating UConn is the next best thing to winning the national championship for most programs, including ND. For the last 10 years, UConn has not set the bar, they ARE the bar that ALL other D1 programs aspire to reach, i.e., 6 NC's, 4 undefeated seasons, a 90 and a 111 game win streak (two records that will never be broken), etc.

This year UConn has the monumental task of playing the two biggest games on their schedule this season on the road. Two games they could very well lose (or win), as they are clearly the two best teams on their schedule. I look forward to watching and hearing the TV announcer's report of how the Huskies were "received" by the fans in Waco and South Bend. "Warmly" I'm sure. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Other storylines I’ll be watching:

1. Can Oregon make the leap from good to great? They have the pieces and experience...logic says this year is the year they break through as a perennial top 3-4 team, but will it happen? Side story—how many triple doubles does Ionescu get?

2. How does Ohio State do with a completely new roster? I doubt they’ll be an NCAA tournament team, but I’ll be watching to see how their year unfolds. I think a lot of eyes will be on them.

3. Can Vic work his magic again with a new roster? They have the pieces to be a very good team, Vic has the ability to make them great IMO. Will McCowan show off a better offensive arsenal? How does Howard do in a more perimeter oriented role? Can they dominate the SEC once again?

4. Any Tennessee haters should be licking their chops for this upcoming year....talent level is down in Knoxville but coaching staff is the same. I think Holly needs to have a better year or everyone will come for her head after this season. Right now the fan base is excited for this upcoming year with a deep freshman class and Horston on board for 2019-20, but will another poor year finally be Holly’s undoing?

5. Oregon State should be mighty good once again led by Rueck and Slocum. A final four is most definitely not out of the picture for this team even if they’re under the radar to start the year.

6. How does SC adjust to life after A’ja? Can Staley coach a guard oriented team to be a Final Four threat?

7. Does the underwhelming 2017-18 freshman class make a jump as sophs? Eyes are especially on Walker, Westbrook, and Patterson. Time to rise and shine.

8. Will Geno catch Tara in wins this year? My money says there’s a good chance.

9. Can Louisville repeat their incredible 2017-18 run? Walz has had up and down seasons relative to expectations, but seemed to break through last year with a consistent team that had the pieces to win it all (and almost did.). His star is back along with most contributors...can the magic be repeated or will his team regress?

10. I think everyone loves Sherri Coale...great personality and very likable figure in WBB, but how long is her leash? She’s had 9 straight years of 10+ losses and barely made the tournament last year with a dreadful 16-15 record. And she’s one of the highest paid coaches in the country at over 1m/year. I like her, but realistically she has to be on the chopping block if she doesn’t start producing better teams. Everyone loves to rip ok Mulkey and Aston (especially me), but there’s zero question that they’re significantly outperforming Coale at this point and Oklahoma hasn’t been in the National or Big 12 picture in quite some time. Time to step up, Sherri.

11. Can Baylor get back to the Final Four this year? The last few years they’ve looked like the biggest or 2nd biggest title threat to UCONN, but they lose earlier than they should. Talentwise, this should be one of Kim’s strongest teams ever in the post-Griner era. This should be the year they get over the hump...but will they?

Great post, lots of fodder to chew on for the next week. Thanks :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Notre Dame might be the favorite to win the national championship, but so was Baylor during the 2012-13 season and UConn in each of the past two seasons. Let’s see how things play out.

I say it every year. Theres ALWAYS a "dark horse" in the tournament that no one sees coming until it's too late. That one team you never figure on or plan for. Ask Baylor and Stanford. UConn can give you chapter and verse also. Nobody projected Miss St to make the final 4 two years ago when they sent UConn home early. They are a prime example of a dark horse. If you remember, UConn beat them by 65 the year before.

Reaction Score
I would like to comment on all the woe is Notre Dame commentary from last season and even now... It seems a lot of people are so caught up on how amazed they are about them winning a National Championship with all those ACL injuries. My friends, they still put 5, count them, 5 McDonald's AA's on the court! Not even UConn could say that about their starting 5! So while I appreciate the injuries, and I give ND full credit for what they earned, if you don't win a NC with 5 McDonald's AA's then you should be tarred and feathered!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some interesting thoughts. I'm watching the World Series, but I'll note one thing I'll be watching for (actually multiple related things):

As bballnut90 said, which of last year's freshmen take a big sophomore leap? I think Megan will be one.

Which of this year's freshmen become impact players? I think the amount of PT is obviously a factor here--see Carter and Slocum, for example, the past two seasons. I think Christyn could be one of them. If you want to be legendary, look at what players like Diana, Maya, Kaleena, Stewie, and Lou did in their first season. Confidence goes a long way.

Do any of the highly ranked players from last year slip, because of injury, new teammates, or other factors? Nina Davis, for example, was less effective once Kalani Brown was on the floor with her. I think--and hope--we don't have any of these.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I would like to comment on all the woe is Notre Dame commentary from last season and even now... It seems a lot of people are so caught up on how amazed they are about them winning a National Championship with all those ACL injuries. My friends, they still put 5, count them, 5 McDonald's AA's on the court! Not even UConn could say that about their starting 5! So while I appreciate the injuries, and I give ND full credit for what they earned, if you don't win a NC with 5 McDonald's AA's then you should be tarred and feathered!

Kara Lawson pretty much said the same thing about the Irish while the Louisville beat-down was taking place. She wanted to see if the players would pick themselves up and if the coaching staff would put them into position to prosper. That happened in the 2nd half of the Tennessee game.

Watching the ND-Navy game but will get back to this thread....some interesting reads.

Reaction Score
There are and have been many programs (coaches) that would not/will not schedule UConn for an out of conference game. They didn't/don't fancy to taking a 30-50 point beat-down, nor could they find any redeeming qualities or advantages (while trying to build momentum, confidence and trust among their players) in doing so.
Of course, there are always a few coaches that do not fear Goliath, and will habitually (gladly) schedule them. Stanford, Maryland, Ohio State, Tennessee, DePaul, Texas, Louisville and of course, Notre Dame.

Some players/teams shutter at the sight of UConn jerseys coming at them on a wicked fast break, some don't. Notre Dame is not afraid of UConn. They welcome and look forward to the challenge of playing one of the perennial top programs in the country every year. UConn vs Notre Dame is always the biggest game on BOTH schedules each year because each represents to the other, a worthy and "elite" opponent that can and may defeat you.

If UConn loses a game or two during the season, they NEVER want it to be against ND, and vice versa. Beating UConn is the next best thing to winning the national championship for most programs, including ND. For the last 10 years, UConn has not set the bar, they ARE the bar that ALL other D1 programs aspire to reach, i.e., 6 NC's, 4 undefeated seasons, a 90 and a 111 game win streak (two records that will never be broken), etc.

This year UConn has the monumental task of playing 2 of these behemoths (ND & Baylor) on the road. Two games they could very well lose (or win). I look forward to watching and hearing the TV announcer's report of how the Huskies were "received" by the fans in Waco and South Bend. "Warmly" I'm sure. :cool:
Scoop---As usual you conveyed that which I tried to do and did it better, thank you.

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated has UConn ranked fourth preseason.

Yea, Uconn is bad, really bad, not a single talent on the team---bad, seriously bad. 17th is probably the proper ranking. All Uconn has is Napheesa, Danger, Lou, CW, Megan, Ono, Gordon, Camara (if healthy, ) Irwin, Coombs, Molly--and to know we are doomed a coaching staff that lost one game each of the last 2 years---doomed I tell you--DOOMED.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
if you don't win a NC with 5 McDonald's AA's then you should be tarred and feathered!
For what it’s worth, UConn had 6 McD AA’s on the team last year along with one member of the Canadian National team: Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, Megan, Mikayla & Kia....Just saying...

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, UConn had 6 McD AA’s on the team last year along with one member of the Canadian National team: Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, Megan, Mikayla & Kia....Just saying...
And that is why we all were so disappointed last year. Even Geno spoke about how angry he was, not like the year before. He knew that should not have happened twice with that much talent. Just saying...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And that is why we all were so disappointed last year. Even Geno spoke about how angry he was, not like the year before. He knew that should not have happened twice with that much talent. Just saying...
If it’s just about McD AA’s then TN, tOSU and TX should have been the top 3 teams because they all had 7+ on their roster.

Reaction Score
If it’s just about McD AA’s then TN, tOSU and TX should have been the top 3 teams because they all had 7+ on their roster.
This conversation started by my highlighting that NDs success should not have come as a surprise... In essence, they are underperforming if they aren't getting to that level and winning. This holds true for ALL the teams you named who haven't had near the success that UConn and ND have had. There should be no way you get that level of talent and are eliminated in 2nd or 3rd round every year. As such, although I'm exaggerating for effect, some of these coaches, like Karen Aston, should be tarred and feathered! Lol. But that's just my humble opinion. ;)

Reaction Score
This conversation started by my highlighting that NDs success should not have come as a surprise... In essence, they are underperforming if they aren't getting to that level and winning. This holds true for ALL the teams you named who haven't had near the success that UConn and ND have had. There should be no way you get that level of talent and are eliminated in 2nd or 3rd round every year. As such, although I'm exaggerating for effect, some of these coaches, like Karen Aston, should be tarred and feathered! Lol. But that's just my humble opinion. ;)
I have never been impressed with Aston's coaching ability. On paper, her teams are always loaded. I remember the Texas/Tennessee game last year, and that was the ugliest game of basketball I have ever seen.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I will be at the Vanguard exhibition game next Sunday. I know, it will be very one-sided, but nevertheless I`m very interested in it and will be looking at a number of things that have little to do with the opponent, including:

1. How is Lou moving. Is she cutting hard to the hoop? Curling off of screens? Moving her feet on defense? Elevating on her three pointers?

2. How is Crystal moving?

3. Same question, Coombs and Camara.

4. What will CW`s presence feel like?

5. ONO should dominate against a Division II opponent, even a really good one. Will she? Can she display some sturdiness inside?

6. Will MW look way, way better?

If everything checks out, UConn has more than enough going for it to get to Tampa in April. Then, it really is a case of who is playing well and who gets the breaks. All three Final Four games in Columbus could have easily gone the other way. A missed shot, a strange bounce, a questionable call.

Notre Dame does look great on paper but who knows what they will look like in April. And even if they are playing great, their opponent only has to be better for 40 minutes. (Well, maybe 45!) If you think they are invincible, check out the game film of their regular season game against Louisville last season.

Maybe some other team will emerge based upon contributions from a player or two not currently on the radar screen. Who would have guessed that Syracuse would have made it to the 2016 Championship game? Or that Griner and Baylor would have missed out when she was a Senior?

Should be loads of fun!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame might be the favorite to win the national championship, but so was Baylor during the 2012-13 season and UConn in each of the past two seasons. Let’s see how things play out.

Yeah, I think ND way overachieved last year considering their roster. Turner returning most likely helps them, but I have a feeling it’ll be more of a return to the norm for ND.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think ND way overachieved last year considering their roster. Turner returning most likely helps them, but I have a feeling it’ll be more of a return to the norm for ND.
I think they have the potential to win another NC, but that could be said about them in years past. They’ve had the talent and stars to win a NC since Skylar Diggins, but came up short until last year.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested in seeing a rematch of Oregon vs ND and Baylor vs Oregon St in the NCAA Tourney this year. And I wonder which wild card will crack the FF. Louisville losing MHA was huge, and MSST's losses have been well documented. Will Stanford rise back up? Texas finally get it together? Can't wait!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
TO BE FAIR...tOSU only had 4 McD AA's last year. The previous year they had 5 but the fifth was Tori McCoy who ended up transferring after her freshmen year. So go easy on them...they couldn't be expected to be top 3 with ONLY 4 McD AA's. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom