Top shooting teams in women’s college basketball | The Boneyard

Top shooting teams in women’s college basketball

Reaction Score
I wish we had a couple of games to play with; maybe tomorrow evening. I'd love to see a quarter in which UConn determined to shoot every shot from outside the 3-pt line in the left corner. The chart shows they shoot 55% from there. So say they make 50% of 13 shots in one quarter @ 3 points per make, say 6.... would be 18 points... plus foul shots. I'd love to see the defense reaction.

Reaction Score
I wish we had a couple of games to play with; maybe tomorrow evening. I'd love to see a quarter in which UConn determined to shoot every shot from outside the 3-pt line in the left corner. The chart shows they shoot 55% from there. So say they make 50% of 13 shots in one quarter @ 3 points per make, say 6.... would be 18 points... plus foul shots. I'd love to see the defense reaction.
I find it interesting that Iowa also shot over 50% from that spot.

Reaction Score
I think when you are trying to judge a team's shooting ability, or a player's for that matter, I would look more at their 3pt % and FT%. The overall FG%, 2PT%, effective FG%, and even TS (true shooting) % all incorporate scoring elements in addition defining pure shooting ability.

South Carolina is probably at least an interesting counter to this argument. For a top ranked team, they are not really a good "shooting" team at all. They show that it is possible to be a very good offensive team without being very good at all at shooting. If you combine mediocre shooting with getting 50% of the offensive rebounds you have a great offensive team. They outrebound their opponents by 20 a game and could win most games even if they shot 40%.

I believe their two-point percentage is pretty good, but 3pt and FT not so much. Boston in particular can score inside a variety of ways, and Cardosa as well, but their 2pt percentage is greatly enhanced by just getting a ton of offensive rebounds and putting back a point blank shot over a shorter defender. Statistically a player that can make 60% of their offensive rebound putbacks is as good a "shooter" as a 3pt shooter who makes 40%.

There are several ways to become an effective offensive team, pure shooting ability, scoring ability to get good high % shots, offensive rebounds, the ability to draw fouls, and limit turnovers are all part of the mix. South Carolina's style of just overpowering teams with superior tall and physical players might not be pretty or even good for basketball but it can work at least if you are fortunate to have two superstar huge C's.

If we had Paige, Azzi, and Caroline healthy this year, the two contrasting styles would have a chance to go head to head. Both styles can work. We may bemoan how we can possibly counter twin towers like Boston and Cardosa, but next year they might be reacting the same way to our super backcourt combo.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For those of you who are golf fans, you may be aware that when certain players are playing well and making long putts, the length of putts made in a round can be a key stat. Someone who is hot can make 200 feet of putts in a round, whereas a player who sinks nothing from long distance may make only 50 feet of putts. over 18 holes. Measuring the cumulative length of shots made in a basketball game would be an interesting stat. For example, Caitlin Clark could make 100-200 feet of shots in a quarter. In contrast, South Carolina may make only 100 feet of shots in a game.

Reaction Score
Amazing women. Never give up. Hustle, perseverence, team play. And with Caroline and Azzi back soon. March looks pretty good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom