OT: - Top Public Schools | The Boneyard

OT: Top Public Schools

Reaction Score
Wow, top 11 has 6 from UC systems.
UConn at #20, is pretty good .....

Reaction Score
I was surprised that U South Florida has the most students, 54,513 undergraduate enrollment.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I see these bastids are still top 5

UNC-National-Champions-in-Academic-Fraud-Banner.jpe

Reaction Score
I bet it is the awesome frat parties that attract smart kids to Penn State.

And I hear academic integrity is the big draw for UNC.

How can Rutgers, an AAU school, be ranked below undeserving UConn?

Reaction Score
I was about to say, how is it a school that's accused of two decades of academic fraud still ranked so high? Shouldn't they be on some sort of restricted list until they figure out what the hell is going on there?

Reaction Score

I heard Penn State has the largest or one of the largest Greek systems in the country though I guess at the rate they are gonna be disbanding frats not for long.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Um, half of the AAU public schools are ranked below UConn. But all except 2 of the public schools ranked higher than UConn are AAU members.

I'm perfectly happy to see RU at 25; well, sort of. There was a time when I think RU might have been better.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Why is it cool?
Kaizen notes that the UC system had 6 of the top 11. So I added that, out of that, the system went 1-2. Of course these rankings are encrusted with noise, but for one state/system to have the top two seems pretty cool to me.

In case you didn't check out my link in post #14, Berkeley came in at #4 in this magazine world rankings. Also cool.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think the Ivy's are great.. and private schools like Stanford, Duke, Northwestern etc are phenomenal as well. But in my opinion, the UC system is the single best example of the quality of the American higher education system in comparison to the rest of the world. I know higher ed has been having financial problems in California but they've got this higher education thing figured out for the most part... the tiered public university system, supplemented by private schools like Stanford etc... outstanding. There's a university for every kind of student.

Reaction Score
Um, half of the AAU public schools are ranked below UConn. But all except 2 of the public schools ranked higher than UConn are AAU members.

I'm perfectly happy to see RU at 25; well, sort of. There was a time when I think RU might have been better.
The Big 10 is idiotic for making AAU a requirement. You helped prove my point. Nothing against Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Kaizen notes that the UC system had 6 of the top 11. So I added that, out of that, the system went 1-2. Of course these rankings are encrusted with noise, but for one state/system to have the top two seems pretty cool to me.

In case you didn't check out my link in post #14, Berkeley came in at #4 in this magazine world rankings. Also cool.
I refused to send either of my kids to Berkeley. [mod edit] I like more balanced campuses where kids are challenged by people who see the world differently. Now it is flat out anti-free speech. On top of that, it is loaded with hyper-competitive kids of overbearing parents which, ironically, have made it way less diverse. So, 60 percent of the students do nothing but study and 40 percent spend their time trying to protect their echo chamber.

The UC system is impressive, in general, but Berkeley is a dumpster fire. It is highly rated, sure, but it is NOT what I think of when I think of college.

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The Big 10 is idiotic for making AAU a requirement. You helped prove my point. Nothing against Rutgers.
I would use "arbitrary", not idiotic. They should have a better measure - although I noticed they didn't kick Nebraska out when they were dropped from AAU membership.

What I think the B1G wants - since it is an academic confederation as well as an athletic conference - is some criteria that they can simply point to in order to determine a school's fitness for the consortium. Perhaps simply considering schools on a case-by-case basis would work, but I suspect they fear accusations of "picking and choosing" on the athletic side if they don't have a measurable academic criteria.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I refused to send either of my kids to Berkeley. [mod edit] I like more balanced campuses where kids are challenged by people who see the world differently. Now it is flat out anti-free speech. On top of that, it is loaded with hyper-competitive kids of overbearing parents which, ironically, have made it way less diverse. So, 60 percent of the students do nothing but study and 40 percent spend their time trying to protect their echo chamber.

The UC system is impressive, in general, but Berkeley is a dumpster fire. It is highly rated, sure, but it is NOT what I think of when I think of college.
As you say, college is a place to meet and learn from people who see things differently (as well as the same). Unfortunately, I fear that, over the years, young folks have been to some degree conditioned to feel comfortable in their relatively homogeneous group and so look for a college that will reinforce whatever that comfort group be - from ultra liberal to ultra conservative.

Interestingly, I was in a fairly homogeneous high school group - I differed from almost all the classmates I was friends with only by religious affiliation and having less well-to-do parents, otherwise all were bright, college bound, a bit superior, serious, non-athlete . . . well, you get the drift, and in general, thought the same way about most things. Then they went to a bunch of private schools that my parents couldn't afford and I went to Rutgers. Lived in a dorm, then joined a frat that had members from the very smart to the never-graduated; from the (relatively) prim and proper to the druggie. What an eye-opening experience college was!

Off my soap-box. But yes, I do think diverse thinking matters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom