Top Programs of All Time so Says 247 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top Programs of All Time so Says 247

Reaction Score
The criteria seems to be all time so UCLA needs to be given credit for their 11 titles and dominance during that period, I know people say that they had it easier always playing teams from the West in the early rounds of the tournament instead of the better teams from the East but UCLA did win ten titles in 12 years.

If the criteria were since 2000 then UCLA would not be in the ratings.

UCLA has made 16 tournament appearances and has been to 4 Final Fours since 2000. Only 13 programs have won NCs since 2000, so even if all of them are on your list, that still leaves a dozen other spots on a list of 25. UCLA is the only program to have been to 4 FFs without winning a NC since 2000.

So, of we’re just talking about 2000 and beyond, then I suspect that UCLA would in fact be on anyone’s top 25 list.

Reaction Score
I could let Indiana slide. But MSU is just disrespectful.

4 championships to 2.

NBA players aren’t even comparable.

Hmmm . . .

Well, it’s not like they didn’t produce any successful NBA players:

Magic Johnson
Draymond Green
Kevin Willis
Jay Vincent
Scott Skiles
Johnny Green
Steve Smith
Eric Snow
Ralph Simpson
Mo Peterson

But really what does NBA success have to do with being a great college program? Maternity Cleaves, the star of their 2000 national champions, for example, was a great college player despite the fact that his game didn’t translate into the NBA.

Reaction Score
Yeah and I told you - UConn made 1 Elite 8 during that period when Indiana won 3 titles and made 5 final 4s.

The coincidence being that in the last 30 years when we've won 4 titles and made 5 final 4s, is that Indiana had only advanced to same number of Elite 8s as us during our down yeara - 1.
Yes, that's the point. You said the past 30 years is a huge chunk of history, so is the 30 years before that when Indiana went to 5 final 4's and won three national championships. UCLA has won way more national championships than UConn but they've only won 1 since 1975, they're always ahead of UConn on these lists because basketball was played before the 1990's.

Reaction Score
Arizona and 'Cuse with only 1 natty? Puh-leeeeze

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL at Draymond. If he didn't have Steph and Klay (Durant as well), he wouldn't be in this conversation. Career triple single threat! 8/7/6 guy, really tough to find! Product of a dynasty for sure. Guy is really close with Lebron too, people forget that

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes, that's the point. You said the past 30 years is a huge chunk of history, so is the 30 years before that when Indiana went to 5 final 4's and won three national championships. UCLA has won way more national championships than UConn but they've only won 1 since 1975, they're always ahead of UConn on these lists because basketball was played before the 1990's.

Don't even try to conflate UCLA with Indiana. First off, the title counts aren't comparable and as @Billy Jack wrote above UCLA has been to 4 F4s since 2000 and is relevant way more often than not.

Different sports but how do you compare say the Patriots and Bears? The Bears have 9 NFL championships to the Patriots 6... But only 1 in the SB era. I rank the Patriots higher (as a Giants fan). At some point you have to consider eras and a bit of recency bias.

Reaction Score
Don't even try to conflate UCLA with Indiana. First off, the title counts aren't comparable and as @Billy Jack wrote above UCLA has been to 4 F4s since 2000 and is relevant way more often than not.

Different sports but how do you compare say the Patriots and Bears? The Bears have 9 NFL championships to the Patriots 6... But only 1 in the SB era. I rank the Patriots higher (as a Giants fan). At some point you have to consider eras and a bit of recency bias.
I'm not, you're the one who tried to make a list of the top programs of all time about only the last 30 years.

I give you credit for still posting in this thread and willing to die on this hill.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not, you're the one who tried to make a list of the top programs of all time about only the last 30 years.

I give you credit for still posting in this thread and willing to die on this hill.

So, Pats or Bears?

Reaction Score
Hmmm . . .

Magic Johnson
Draymond Green
Kevin Willis
Jay Vincent
Scott Skiles
Johnny Green
Steve Smith
Eric Snow
Ralph Simpson
Mo Peterson

But really what does NBA success have to do with being a great college program? Maternity Cleaves, the star of their 2000 national champions, for example, was a great college player despite the fact that his game didn’t translate into the NBA.
Was Maternity Cleaves the name Mateen Cleaves gave his wife when she was pregnant?

Sorry. It's late and I can't help it.

LOL

Reaction Score
Hmmm . . .

Magic Johnson
Draymond Green
Kevin Willis
Jay Vincent
Scott Skiles
Johnny Green
Steve Smith
Eric Snow
Ralph Simpson
Mo Peterson

Was Maternity Cleaves the name Mateen Cleaves gave his wife each time she was pregnant?

LOL

Reaction Score
Was Maternity Cleaves the name Mateen Cleaves gave his wife each time she was pregnant?

LOL

LOL. Fair shot. GDam autocorrect. And I didn’t catch it. Head bang

Reaction Score
Let's not forget IU was the last undefeated team in College Basketball in 1976. Only one loss 1974-1976 teams. An injury to Scott May prevented back to back undefeated seasons.
As a long suffering IU grad- would be thrilled with a sweet 16 appearance this year

Reaction Score
So, Pats or Bears?
Not sure why you're still digging and why not bring up the Bulls being better all-time than the Celtics?

It shows how bad your argument is that you're going down this road but since you're doing it at least choose the same sport.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you're still digging and why not bring up the Bulls being better all-time than the Celtics?

It shows how bad your argument is that you're going down this road but since you're doing it at least choose the same sport.
Hmmmm... Bulls better than the 60s Celtics? Is that what you mean? I think the 90s Bulls would beat a few of the 60s Celtic teams, but the Celts have 17 WCs and the Bulls 6. Numbers tell the story... (btw, I loved the 90s Bulls and hated the 60s Celtics)

Reaction Score
Hmmmm... Bulls better than the 60s Celtics? Is that what you mean? I think the 90s Bulls would beat a few of the 60s Celtic teams, but the Celts have 17 WCs and the Bulls 6. Numbers tell the story... (btw, I loved the 90s Bulls and hated the 60s Celtics)
No, I'm pointing out how silly @ConnHuskBask is being in this thread. This is a list of the best all time college basketball programs and he's trying to make it out like the past 30 years are what matters for all-time. He's brought up the NCAA tournament having less teams before '85 as a reason.

The Celtics are obviously way better than the Bulls all-time but all but 3 of the Celtics championships are when the NBA had less teams and less teams playing in the playoffs. The Bulls did their three peats and won all 6 of their championships when there were more teams and the expanded playoffs.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
No, I'm pointing out how silly @ConnHuskBask is being in this thread. This is a list of the best all time college basketball programs and he's trying to make it out like the past 30 years are what matters for all-time. He's brought up the NCAA tournament having less teams before '85 as a reason.

The Celtics are obviously way better than the Bulls all-time but all but 3 of the Celtics championships are when the NBA had less teams and less teams playing in the playoffs. The Bulls did their three peats and won all 6 of their championships when there were more teams and the expanded playoffs.

Less teams could also mean available talent is more concentrated.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Just humor me and answer then. Seems like you're very reluctant to.

The Celtics Bulls example is stupid and you know it. Celtics have the way better history and have won titles and been a relevant franchise in the more modern era as well.

Reaction Score

Got it...thx for the clarification

Reaction Score
MSU above us is absolute comedy. Also, I highly question the validity of this given how much they value total program wins. Perfect example is Temple being above Florida when they've won one "natty" pre WWII, have never made the championship game in the NCAA Tournament era, and have only 2 Final Four appearances way back in the 50s.
Appreciate you finding that. Results such as this goes to show how invalid their metrics are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom