Top Dogs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs

Reaction Score
New ep! A full preview of the Battle 4 Atlantis, plus my thoughts on why prioritizing Stephon Castle should be viewed as a GREAT sign for this program's recruiting strategy.
Agree with your characterization of the significance of the SC commit. DH/staff recruiting philosophy re: grabbing developing 3 and 4 stars once on campus for 2-3 years is similar to JC's blueprint. More impressive in this day and age of G-League/OTE alternatives to get them on campus for a few years before pro aspirations.

See 2 W's prior to BU championship game. If our D holds up and our 3 point shooters show up.. Who knows? Will be fun.

Thx for the Pod !

Reaction Score
Agree with your characterization of the significance of the SC commit. DH/staff recruiting philosophy re: grabbing developing 3 and 4 stars once on campus for 2-3 years is similar to JC's blueprint. More impressive in this day and age of G-League/OTE alternatives to get them on campus for a few years before pro aspirations.

See 2 W's prior to BU championship game. If our D holds up and our 3 point shooters show up.. Who knows? Will be fun.

Thx for the Pod !
What 3 stars?

Reaction Score

Thx for the Pod !
Haven't listened yet but Hurley is not going for the 3* talent. Since he's been here, the only 3* guys he's recruited in are Springs and Javonte Brown Ferguson (BAdams doesn't count because that wasn't a full recruiting cycle). Springs never plays and Brown is gone. Everyone else on the roster is 4/5* players. If Hurley starts signing 3* guys, that would be very disappointing. More Bouknight and Hawkins, less BAdams type of guys.

Reaction Score
What 3 stars?
My mistake in my use of that reference. Was referring more to the JC era of recruiting developmental and emerging talents. We have been lucky to have had 2 coaches who excel at identifying and developing their recruits who fit their profile of great Program commits.

3 star reference was meant more for the JC era than DH era recruits. Yes. JC also had 4 star recruits.

I probably should not have used any reference of "stars" and left it at emerging and developing talents/recruits that they have successfully and consistently developed. My bad

BTW.. Not suggesting at all that Rob referred to 3 star recruiting focus. My words.

Reaction Score
My mistake in my use of that reference. Was referring more to the JC era of recruiting developmental and emerging talents. We have been lucky to have had 2 coaches who excel at identifying and developing their recruits who fit their profile of great Program commits.

3 star reference was meant more for the JC era than DH era recruits. Yes. JC also had 4 star recruits.

I probably should not have used any reference of "stars" and left it at emerging and developing talents/recruits that they have successfully and consistently developed. My bad

BTW.. Not suggesting at all that Rob referred to 3 star recruiting focus. My words.
Most of those 3* guys were just role players. Calhoun was one of the best recruiters in the country. Every year our classes were loaded with 4* and 5* recruits. That entire notion of Calhoun building 4 titles off the backs of 3* 'diamond in the rough' type players is nonsense. We became a powerhouse because Calhoun was able to get every ounce of talent out of those elite high school players. He was better at doing that than any other coach in history, including K

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Agree with Rob’s assessment of the staff’s recruiting. Also worth noting that I think the idea of 2 or 3 years on campus then turning pro is a strategy that is built to last between the emergence of G-League/OTE path and NBA scouts slightly deemphasizing age in the draft (Chris Duarte, Davion Mitchell, Corey Kispert we’re drafted in the top 15)

Reaction Score
Most of those 3* guys were just role players. Calhoun was one of the best recruiters in the country. Every year our classes were loaded with 4* and 5* recruits. That entire notion of Calhoun building 4 titles off the backs of 3* 'diamond in the rough' type players is nonsense. We became a powerhouse because Calhoun was able to get every ounce of talent out of those elite high school players. He was better at doing that than any other coach in history, including K
Calhoun years were a progression towards more talented players as we succeeded. Not dissimilar to the DH years.

I am guilty as charged . A poor example of my intentions. Which is to say.. JC/DH knew/know how to recruit guys under the radar( in some cases) and develop them into NBA talent and also appeal to the higher profile recruits who appreciate the success happening in Storrs.

Was actually trying to compliment them but I failed in my comments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
New episode is live!

I spent a good 35 minutes talking through the three games we watched in Atlantis. The cliff notes version: We are quite good, and it's awesome to feel like I'm having a heart attack watching UConn again, but this team has a chance to be very good (as in win the Big East, make a deep tournament run) by cleaning up a couple of things that should be fairly easy to clean up.

I'd love to hear feedback here.

Reaction Score
@RobDauster are you planning to regularly upload these to YouTube or just stick to podcasts only? I liked seeing the vids of the former Huskies but I understand it's a bit more of a production burden to do video. I'll keep listening/watching either way, but was curious of the plan.

Reaction Score
New episode is live!

I spent a good 35 minutes talking through the three games we watched in Atlantis. The cliff notes version: We are quite good, and it's awesome to feel like I'm having a heart attack watching UConn again, but this team has a chance to be very good (as in win the Big East, make a deep tournament run) by cleaning up a couple of things that should be fairly easy to clean up.

Definitely agree that this team's ceiling goes as far as Hawkins can take it. I expect that to happen over the next few weeks as he adjusts to the college game

Reaction Score
@RobDauster are you planning to regularly upload these to YouTube or just stick to podcasts only? I liked seeing the vids of the former Huskies but I understand it's a bit more of a production burden to do video. I'll keep listening/watching either way, but was curious of the plan.
They will all be on Youtube, but I drop the audio first each week since it's the easiest to churn out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
New episode is live!

Definitely agree that this team's ceiling goes as far as Hawkins can take it. I expect that to happen over the next few weeks as he adjusts to the college game
I listened to part last night and the rest this morning.

I don't know how to reconcile the acknowledged importance of Hawkins to this team's ceiling with the fact--which Rob also acknowledges--that Hurley is committed to the current starting five as his most trusted players and the identity he wants for this team.

In other words, Rob thinks who we are now is exactly what Hurley wants us to be, including sacrificing the scoring ability of someone like Hawkins or Polley for the offensive rebounding that Jackson and Whaley provide. I don't think Rob agrees with you @navery12 that Hawkins will be starting before year's end; he thinks that Hawkins will develop into 15-18 points per game while still coming off the bench.

And this conundrum is what I was getting at after Atlantis. I previously agreed with @navery12 that Hawkins will have to be a starter by January to provide the shooting we need so desperately; but now I agree with Rob that there is little chance that Hurley is going to change the starting lineup barring injuries, and that Jackson is going to continue to get the lion's share of the minutes at the two, with some combination of Gaffney, Hawkins and Polley splitting the remaining minutes.

I don't agree with the approach, but I am resigned to it.

Reaction Score
I listened to part last night and the rest this morning.

I don't know how to reconcile the acknowledged importance of Hawkins to this team's ceiling with the fact--which Rob also acknowledges--that Hurley is committed to the current starting five as his most trusted players and the identity he wants for this team.

In other words, Rob thinks who we are now is exactly what Hurley wants us to be, including sacrificing the scoring ability of someone like Hawkins or Polley for the offensive rebounding that Jackson and Whaley provide. I don't think Rob agrees with you @navery12 that Hawkins will be starting before year's end; he thinks that Hawkins will develop into 15-18 points per game while still coming off the bench.

And this conundrum is what I was getting at after Atlantis. I previously agreed with @navery12 that Hawkins will have to be a starter by January to provide the shooting we need so desperately; but now I agree with Rob that there is little chance that Hurley is going to change the starting lineup barring injuries, and that Jackson is going to continue to get the lion's share of the minutes at the two, with some combination of Gaffney, Hawkins and Polley splitting the remaining minutes.

I don't agree with the approach, but I am resigned to it.
I didn't listen to the podcast but I don't see any way Hawkins only develops into a 15-18 minute player this season.

If that were to happen it would be major coaching malpractice and Hurley will hear about it from the fanbase.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I didn't listen to the podcast but I don't see any way Hawkins only develops into a 15-18 minute player this season.

If that were to happen it would be major coaching malpractice and Hurley will hear about it from the fanbase.
He said he expects 15-18 points from him, not minutes; but he expects those points off the bench, and for the current starting five to remain the starters all season.

He didn't say how many minutes he expected Hawkins to play, but if you figure Jackson to be getting the majority of the minutes at the two, and for Gaffney and Hawkins to be splitting the rest, I don't see where Hawkins gets enough minutes to contribute that many points consistently. He scored 16 in 16 minutes (out of 50 minutes) against Auburn, but I don't know if we can expect that pace to continue. He played 18 minutes against MSU (scoring 4 points); and 13 minutes (out of 45 minutes) against VCU, scoring two points.

Reaction Score
He said he expects 15-18 points from him, not minutes; but he expects those points off the bench, and for the current starting five to remain the starters all season.

He didn't say how many minutes he expected Hawkins to play, but if you figure Jackson to be getting the majority of the minutes at the two, and for Gaffney and Hawkins to be splitting the rest, I don't see where Hawkins gets enough minutes to contribute that many points consistently. He scored 16 in 16 minutes (out of 50 minutes) against Auburn, but I don't know if we can expect that pace to continue. He played 18 minutes against MSU (scoring 4 points); and 13 minutes (out of 45 minutes) against VCU, scoring two points.
If you’re scoring 15-18 points off the bench then you’re starting lineup better include steph curry, michael jordan, and lebron james because there is no way you can leave a guy with that ability on the bench lol

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you’re scoring 15-18 points off the bench then you’re starting lineup better include steph curry, michael jordan, and lebron james because there is no way you can leave a guy with that ability on the bench lol
Yeah, that's my point: something's gotta give.

Reaction Score

I misread your post, my fault. If he's getting 15-18 points per game it means he's getting huge minutes. There's also no way he's getting a point per minute, if he did he would be off to the NBA at the end of the season.

I do worry Gaff will play too much because Gaff is a veteran guard, Hurley clearly loves veterans and we don't have many guards.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I misread your post, my fault. If he's getting 15-18 points per game it means he's getting huge minutes. There's also no way he's getting a point per minute, if he did he would be off to the NBA at the end of the season.

I do worry Gaff will play too much because Gaff is a veteran guard, Hurley clearly loves veterans and we don't have many guards.
Yeah, that's my point: I don't see how you can expect those numbers from him off the bench.

Apparently the NBA scouts in the house for the tournament came away pretty impressed with Hawkins. I imagine our Auburn game was well-scouted because of White, who has obvious lottery-level talent; but if you watched that game you came away thinking that Hawkins might, too.

I agree with you about Gaff.

Reaction Score
Just finished recording this week’s episode with Tyrese Martin. I’ll drop a link in here when it’s done, but it is worth mentioning based on where this thread went that Tyrese said Hawkins is killing in practice. I doubt there will be a change in starters that doesn’t involve one of three things:

1. A continuing injury crisis
2. Hawkins turning into Bouk 2.0
3. A disastrous stretch

But I do think it’s worth noting: Who starts matters less than who finishes, and either way, having the lineup versatility across the 2-through-5 that we have is the most important part of this team. We can be matchup proof. March success is about matchups.

Positivity!!!! I’m all about it these days lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom