Top Dogs Podcast: Cam Spencer commits to UConn | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast: Cam Spencer commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Rob thinks we’re a 3-5 seed. That seems low considering what we bring back and the talent that was added. How many teams in the country have 4 proven foundation guys, and a top 5 recruiting class? He tries to hard to be unbiased.
They did this on the last pod too and I don’t even think it’s at all interesting. Saying “3-5 seed” means you’re predicting we’ll be between the 9th and 20th best team. OK, we’ll that’s not exactly a take. I think Goodman was being overly negative the last time, more so than Dauster.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They did this on the last pod too and I don’t even think it’s at all interesting. Saying “3-5 seed” means you’re predicting we’ll be between the 9th and 20th best team. OK, we’ll that’s not exactly a take. I think Goodman was being overly negative the last time, more so than Dauster.
Goodman is a paid tool and everyone knows that. I expect more from Rob, him deciding not to advocate for us is very transparent of his insecurity as a UConn fan.

If you read this Rob, you can call us a top ten team. It’s your platform, don’t be afraid of some doofus you hired calling you a homer, nobody knows their name anyways.

Reaction Score
Goodman is a paid tool and everyone knows that. I expect more from Rob, him deciding not to advocate for us is very transparent of his insecurity as a UConn fan.

If you read this Rob, you can call us a top ten team. It’s your platform, don’t be afraid of some doofus you hired calling you a homer, nobody knows their name anyways.

Honestly, who gives a about some guy "advocating for us" on a podcast in June?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Honestly, who gives a about some guy "advocating for us" on a podcast in June?
Are you on an internet message board for a specific niche interest, asking another person on that message board why they might not like the opinion of another person who creates content about our niche interest? Why are you even on the message board if you don’t care about other peoples opinions?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure he said he thought we were in the 5 seed range before Spencer but now he thinks we're solidly in the top 3 seed range.

Reaction Score
Are you on an internet message board for a specific niche interest, asking another person on that message board why they might not like the opinion of another person who creates content about our niche interest? Why are you even on the message board if you don’t care about other peoples opinions?
I'd listen to Uconn basketball talk, at 10pm, on the 4th of July, while everyone else is at the fireworks or a BBQ, by myself, in my room, with ear buds in- if someone cared to discuss it.

Reaction Score
I agree. The 3-5 seed prediction is a conservative, “can’t go wrong”, safe prediction.
Reasonable prediction based on the youth/inexperience of our bench.. Last year's bench rotation (except for DC) was primarily made up of veterans.. This year is different.. But also very talented on paper. European tour will tell us a lot..

Reaction Score

Pretty sure you're the same guy that was crushing me in January when I was telling everyone to stay the course, the season's not over, UConn doesn't need to fire Dan Hurley, etc. I believe the line was, "Hurley apologist"?

I'll stick with giving my honest opinion. I think that's why Top Dogs has had some success. If you need blatant homerism or wild overreactions to anything and everything UConn, isn't that what the Boneyard is for?

Reaction Score

This doesn't even remotely respond to what I posted.

Why should a guy on a podcast be "advocating" for UConn?

That's got nothing to do with "caring about other people's opinions."

(Dauster also makes the pretty obvious observation that most of the people f e l la ting this team's prospects next season and expressing indignance that anyone would dare to not have them #1 pre-season jumped back on the bandwagon around March 20th, 2023 after crapping on the team and the coaching staff pretty relentlessly for 2 months.)

Reaction Score
Pretty sure you're the same guy that was crushing me in January when I was telling everyone to stay the course, the season's not over, UConn doesn't need to fire Dan Hurley, etc. I believe the line was, "Hurley apologist"?

I'll stick with giving my honest opinion. I think that's why Top Dogs has had some success. If you need blatant homerism or wild overreactions to anything and everything UConn, isn't that what the Boneyard is for?
I remember right before tourney where you said Iona is the worst matchup for us. In retrospect you were right. Even though we won by dbl digs, I think they gave us the hardest time.
I would've rather you said "we'll roll through them" but I appreciated the equanimity. Keep it up. Most of us are big fans.

Reaction Score
FWIW..I think Rob does a very good job of walking the tightrope between Rob--the journalist(his job).. And Rob the fan.. Its pretty obvious to me that Rob the fan is a UConn dude.. Its also obvious to me that in order to be a journalist.. He's got to be open-minded to other perspectives/opinions/biases for other teams and coaches. If you enjoy the journalist--Then you know in order to gain access to certain Programs and coaches/coaching staffs..
You've got to be able to show sincere interest in that individual's point of view and be a good listener and then interpret what was said--In Rob's words.

Think Rob provides valuable info/insight to the CBB community. He took some arrows mid-season as Rob the fan.. A lot of wasted energy bangin' on him..

Edit: The fact that Goodman broke the Spencer news tells you a little bit about DH's affinity towards certain media outlets vs the thundering horde.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We won a championship as a 4 seed and some are getting upset he is saying we are 3-5 seed…. Stop overthinking it…smh Season needs to start.
Exactly - last year’s team won the whole thing as a 4. With a lot of big east losses - (comparative to the talent level and non conference wins). Next year’s team plays a serious schedule with a still tough big east. After losing 3 serious players, it’s hard to take for granted a better seed. I hope Samson and Singare are ready to play, I think there are a number of games where they will be needed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Oh buddy now we’re just lying? I had to look it up since you couldn’t be bothered, so thanks, jerk.

Keep writing Goodmans paychecks and giving him a platform, you don’t totally look like a tool by association.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

lol. Excellent

Reaction Score
I enjoy the attitude that it’s impossible for Rob to just actually believe we’re in the 10-20 range, which is a completely reasonable take. No, it has to be some weird anti-homer angle.
He didn't have us in the top 25 a couple days before Cam Spencer committed.

Reaction Score
He didn't have us in the top 25 a couple days before Cam Spencer committed.
I believe Terrence O said 7-9 seed, Fanta 5-6, and Dauster 3-5. Goodman expressed question. Then Dauster said “this all changes if they get Cam Spencer.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom