Top Dogs: Andre Jackson, UConn PG? | The Boneyard

Top Dogs: Andre Jackson, UConn PG?

Reaction Score
Why do I feel like everyone is down on Tristen Newton?
I don't think anyone is down on Newton. I think the team will largely function like last year where we have two guys that divy up the majority of minutes at that role, which was hugely important last year in keeping Cole reasonably fresh with his minutes load. I just think any suggestion that Jackson plays PG gets some people really riled up and overshadows any discussion of Newton.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is down on Newton. I think the team will largely function like last year where we have two guys that divy up the majority of minutes at that role, which was hugely important last year in keeping Cole reasonably fresh with his minutes load. I just think any suggestion that Jackson plays PG gets some people really riled up and overshadows any discussion of Newton.
People are absolutely down on Newton in a lot of threads. There's a growing group of people who think we're not going to have a successful season and have all but called Newton a bust. Started with him not being mentioned in articles much, but was amplified when Hurley said Hassan Diarra was pushing Newton for a starting spot

Reaction Score
People are absolutely down on Newton in a lot of threads. There's a growing group of people who think we're not going to have a successful season and have all but called Newton a bust. Started with him not being mentioned in articles much, but was amplified when Hurley said Hassan Diarra was pushing Newton for a starting spot
Fair, maybe I've missed those threads.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When Andre ran the point at times last season, I thought it was mostly by default because Gaff was not performing as hoped, Diggins wasn't ready and Corey was redshirting, leaving Andre as the best option to give RJ a breather when needed.

This season it is clear that Andre will be running the point by design, because Hurley wants the offense running through him as much as possible.

I have concerns about how that will work out for a number of reasons, but I am going to suspend further judgment until I see it for myself because he could have improved a lot where needed, and because there will be a lot of new pieces to the puzzle whom I have yet to see play.

Reaction Score
I've said this in other threads but Jackson hit his stride as a ballhandler/PG over the last third of the '21'-22 season. Over his last 10 games (dating back to St. John's @ MSG), he hit 6.1ppg, 5.8rpg, 4.2apg, 1.4TOpg.

That 3:1 A/TO ratio is key, especially since he ran the point in spurts late last year. Up to that point, he was still turning it over anywhere from 2-4 times per game. If his consistency holds from the end of last season and he jacks up his scoring average to 10-plus ppg, there's a case for some All-BE accolades. Maybe not 1st team, but maybe 2nd. It's a big "IF", but he shouldn't be slept on.

Reaction Score
It seems evident that Hurley has promised our guys that he would make them pro's and this year he will showcase them to help that happen. Before freshman year he said Jackson's position in the pros would be point guard. That wasn't a stretch. In AAU Jackson was playing with the ball in his hands even though there were other guards. He was bringing it up and making plays just as he did here last year. We will keep getting the best recruits by demonstrating we can turn guys into pros, so Hurley will opt for the ball in Jackson's hands this year as much as possible. He will also allow Sanogo to demonstrate his game away from the basket, and, he'll give Hawkins more run when he is cold from the field even though we could turn to other players to find the hot hand. As long as we're winning, he will secondarily be trying to make good on his promises to get these guys to their payday. He has been setting them up from a hype standpoint as the 'big 3' and will give them opportunity on the court.

Reaction Score
I don't get it either. The dude averaged 18 PPG in the AAC. It's not like he was playing in the NEC or MAAC. He won't need to score 18 PPG on our team since we have a lot more options, but he's going to be really solid. I would be shocked if he was averaging less than double digits.

Reaction Score
I think people have concerns because we had a first team Big East full time point guard/floor general last year and people expected Newton to take over that role when he transferred here. It's become pretty clear he won't be taking over that role and instead will be a piece with Jackson taking over point guard duties. I think most of us aren't sold on Jackson being the point guard/game manager until we actually see it.

I wouldn't say down so much on Newton but the tea leaves are pointing to him not being what many may have expected.

Reaction Score
It seems evident that Hurley has promised our guys that he would make them pro's and this year he will showcase them to help that happen. Before freshman year he said Jackson's position in the pros would be point guard. That wasn't a stretch. In AAU Jackson was playing with the ball in his hands even though there were other guards. He was bringing it up and making plays just as he did here last year. We will keep getting the best recruits by demonstrating we can turn guys into pros, so Hurley will opt for the ball in Jackson's hands this year as much as possible. He will also allow Sanogo to demonstrate his game away from the basket, and, he'll give Hawkins more run when he is cold from the field even though we could turn to other players to find the hot hand. As long as we're winning, he will secondarily be trying to make good on his promises to get these guys to their payday. He has been setting them up from a hype standpoint as the 'big 3' and will give them opportunity on the court.
Exactly. This is what I have been saying to my fellow Huskymaniacs.

Reaction Score
What happens if that recipe leads to losing?

Reaction Score
Yeah I think the plan has always been for him to take over PG duties at some point. Hurley has mentioned him as a PG several times over the years. Idk why people keep ignoring it

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
@superjohn you missed something.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He might not like the boneyard, but he’s back for some free engagement.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Ajax is the definition of a Playmaker. Gotta have the ball in his hands in order for him to make plays. As @PlayItLeo alluded to, he starting hitting his stride towards the end of last season. He's got too much talent and crafty playmaking ability to not let him bring the ball up. Doesn't need to be 100% of the time, but defenses are going to struggle trying to stop his size, pace and vision. As long as he can keep defenses honest with some shot-making, think he's in for a big year.

Reaction Score
I didn't miss anything. I asked what happens if that recipe leads to losing?

Scrap it all? Jackson is no longer the point guard, Adama stays down low all the time instead of drifting out to shoot threes...
I think it really depends how we're losing and which lineups are working. Are we getting killed on the boards in losses? Maybe we play more Samson at the 4 and Jackson at the 3. Are we having trouble scoring? Maybe we go small and Alleyne and Karaban play together.

That's what makes me optimistic about this season is all the flexibility of lineup options. If Jackson at PG doesn't work (and I fully expect it will given everything we've seen from him), we do have traditional PGs ready to step up

Reaction Score
I trust what I saw from Newton on tape. He's going to be a good player. We've got potentially 3 all-conference level players in the starting lineup aside from him, though, and he's switching up his role a bit and adjusting to playing with (and against) talent. If he doesn't have a lot of buzz, some of it is because there's a lot of oxygen getting swallowed elsewhere (in a good way).

That being said, I imagine he has a lot of holes and rough spots to his point guard game specifically, just like Cole did coming in, some of which he refined when sitting out a year. Newton doesn't have that luxury and the team has another interesting initiator on the wing, so he's going to have to make strides rapidly if he wants to be the main guy on the ball. He's also competing against a high character, former top 100 recruit who has been developing at a high major for the last 2 years in a similar role under a pretty good coach (Buzz Williams).

I honestly hope he stays for another year and makes 1st team all-conference next year.

Reaction Score
I didn't miss anything. I asked what happens if that recipe leads to losing?

Scrap it all? Jackson is no longer the point guard, Adama stays down low all the time instead of drifting out to shoot threes...

If anything I'm concerned Hurley won't consider playing to support our potential pros ENOUGH. He's way too rigid and slow to make adjustments on either end of the floor. One of his few weaknesses as a coach IMO.

Reaction Score
When AJax had the ball in his hands last year.. His vision and the resulting passes were a challenge for some of his teammates who weren't as able to "see" the floor and anticipate those passes. Thus not completing the plays. This year-- He and Newton are now surrounded by better athletes with higher BBIQs who can get to their spots and anticipate (and catch) their passes. They do not need to be dominant scorers with this roster.. Facilitators/contributors/solid defenders/rebounding are all valuable skills for this team. Diarra will also have a solid floor game.

Looking forward to seeing them do their thing in the secret scrimmages as a starting point.

Reaction Score
I think it really depends how we're losing and which lineups are working. Are we getting killed on the boards in losses? Maybe we play more Samson at the 4 and Jackson at the 3. Are we having trouble scoring? Maybe we go small and Alleyne and Karaban play together.

That's what makes me optimistic about this season is all the flexibility of lineup options. If Jackson at PG doesn't work (and I fully expect it will given everything we've seen from him), we do have traditional PGs ready to step up
It just scares me when I hear the coaches are playing players where they think they'll have to play in the pros. In my time being a UConn fan I haven't seen that type of strategy work out for the team or the player. It's just Ricker speculating off of what Hurley has said and stuff from Dauster and others who follow the team I think.

I want Adama feasting down low, it's nice if he can hit the three now but I don't think designing any of our offense for him to do so will be good for anyone. Jackson can play some point but I have trouble believing he'll be able to run things in the half court at a high level for the majority of the game.

I also love the versatility but I don't want to see any square pegs being fit into round holes based off of NBA dreams, it rarely works.

Reaction Score
I'm baaaaaack. Maybe I missed it on here, but have we had the conversation about Andre Jackson, UConn PG, on here yet? Because if we haven't, I think we need to.

His analysis isn't super promising. Amongst other things he appears to be predicting we will be weak at guard with no dominant pg. But he's also predicting better shooting. Which is hopeful.

Reaction Score
If anything I'm concerned Hurley won't consider playing to support our potential pros ENOUGH. He's way too rigid and slow to make adjustments on either end of the floor. One of his few weaknesses as a coach IMO.
I think we'll really get to see his coaching this season. It's the most talented group of players (all his) he's had here and with the most positional versatility. The ceiling is the highest it's been but there's also maybe more questions than there's been in the past couple of seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom