top beaches in the United States | The Boneyard

top beaches in the United States

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Isn't Travel and Leisure the same publication that named Andrew Hurley as preseason 1st Team All American in 2022-2023?

Reaction Score
ew GIF by Super Simple

Reaction Score
Napatree in Watch Hill is so much nicer simply because it’s not New London lol

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I live in Chicago and Oak Street beach shouldn't be on any best beach list. What a joke.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and for those on a budget, or just up for a pleasant adventure, the ticket is to park over at *harkness, then walk past the handicapped camp area, make the cut thru the shrubs to Waterford beach, pass the little mountains there to Alewife, cross thru the river (watch out for fast current!), and end up at the west end of Ocean Beach. stroll on in, no cash needed for parking.
mebbe u'll catch a volleyball tourney, or some kind of biker party going down at the big house as the sun sets. big fun. highly rec'd.

*harkness. free for Connecticut plates. u out-of-staters have to pay, hopefully, thru the nose.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and for those on a budget, or just up for a pleasant adventure, the ticket is to park over at *harkness, then walk past the handicapped camp area, make the cut thru the shrubs to Waterford beach, pass the little mountains there to Alewife, cross thru the river (watch out for fast current!), and end up at the west end of Ocean Beach. stroll on in, no cash needed for parking.
mebbe u'll catch a volleyball tourney, or some kind of biker party going down at the big house as the sun sets. big fun. highly rec'd.

*harkness. free for Connecticut plates. u out-of-staters have to pay, hopefully, thru the nose.
'make the cut thru the shrubs to Waterford beach, pass the little mountains there to Alewife'
the little mountains, at 4:20 on the vid, no pun intended.

yeppers, slummin it at wattybeach.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, that list is trash.

They have a creek in Colorado listed.

Six of the top 25 from New Jersey and north? Not buying it. Especially when they talk about seclusion and shade tree cover as criteria.

Reaction Score
Once the high kicks in and you push aside the hypodermic needles it actually is a pretty zen place.
Don't forget the cigarette butts. I mean, if you can get past those its basically like being in Maui.

Reaction Score
It's equally gross and beautiful there. Nice sand, water, etc. but horrifically overcrowded and dirty. I was there a few years ago with my fam and we loved it up until we absolutely needed to leave.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'there's a reason,
for the warm sweet nights...'

we like it. suck an egg, haters.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It's a wonderful list of beaches to avoid. So it's got that going for it.
i avoid ur financial musings, so i got that going for me. barfcoin, 32k.
don't feel bad, i avoid all but one here on that musing category.
mg pointed out a few months ago that, from where we live, we can literally, timing dependent, bicycle to either waves or shussing. sometimes, we bike to the surf, a very nice surf. we've never biked to the slopes, but we could iffn we were prone to hill biking. we're not, but that ride would be mostly downhill all the way home.
iirc, u recently asked a q there sounding in 'what's going on?' i'd tell you, with one simple datapoint expectation, but i won't. good luck!

anyhoo, back on topic - Niantic by the Atlantic!

here's a tight rental at one of my fav secluded gems, Giants Neck.
23a798e3.c10.jpg

Reaction Score
I live in Chicago and Oak Street beach shouldn't be on any best beach list. What a joke.

When I worked in the Hancock Building, we would walk down to Oak Street beach at lunch. Then, hundreds of professional women would come out of the surrounding buildings and commence to disrobe to get their summer tans. Needless to say, it was a spectacular way to spend a lunch hour. So, I very politely disagree with you opinion. It's a great beach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When I worked in the Hancock Building, we would walk down to Oak Street beach at lunch. Then, hundreds of professional women would come out of the surrounding buildings and commence to disrobe to get their summer tans. Needless to say, it was a spectacular way to spend a lunch hour. So, I very politely disagree with you opinion. It's a great beach.
That used to happen on the Aetna lawn in summers in Hartford at lunch time. We'd walk over from the Hartford to take in the sights.

The list is such crap. Illinois? Vermont? Minnesota? For Massachusetts they pick...Gloucester? It's just horrible click bait advertising. There are dozens of better lists out there. Not that it matters, beach preferences are very personal. I love Chapin beach, but it never gets mentioned.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
18da15ac.c10.jpg

slummin it on the east side of Ocean Beach. that's the beach in the distance, full of normal folks just havin a blast on a day in the sun and surf.
now, add hazy, hot, and humid weather, and suffer there. i like sleeping with the windows open around these local places. it gives wonderful dreams of clam fritters and babes in bikinis. then, u wake up, and they're still there!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I always wondered if you were from Palatine. You are correct about that aspect of the beach. Definitely a top 10 in the people category. I went to the Travel and Leisure website and the photo they provide is of North Ave. Beach not Oak Street Beach smh.

Reaction Score
It's equally gross and beautiful there. Nice sand, water, etc. but horrifically overcrowded and dirty. I was there a few years ago with my fam and we loved it up until we absolutely needed to leave.
Growing up, it was a destination spot. It's a shame, mirroring the decline of New London. Physically it's still a great beach. They had an Olympic size fresh water swimming pool. Art Deco architecture throughout the facility. Walking north along the boardwalk there was outdoor bowling with kids hired as pin setters, miniature golf, great arcade with the old fashioned shooting gallery(.22 calibre with the barrels chained to the arm rest so you couldn't swing it around and shoot anyone) indoor archery range... great beach food. Fireworks every weekend in the summer with many people anchoring boats off the beach to watch. Amusement rides. Pfizer use to have their company outings there. Wedding receptions at the GAM.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought Ocean Beach was pretty nice when I went last year. Much better than the last time I was there 10 or so years ago. Santa Monica Beach has it all as far as I'm concerned. I don't get the love for Coast Guard Beach. It's a definite "is that all there is"?

Reaction Score
Growing up, it was a destination spot. It's a shame, mirroring the decline of New London. Physically it's still a great beach. They had an Olympic size fresh water swimming pool. Art Deco architecture throughout the facility. Walking north along the boardwalk there was outdoor bowling with kids hired as pin setters, miniature golf, great arcade with the old fashioned shooting gallery(.22 calibre with the barrels chained to the arm rest so you couldn't swing it around and shoot anyone) indoor archery range... great beach food. Fireworks every weekend in the summer with many people anchoring boats off the beach to watch. Amusement rides. Pfizer use to have their company outings there. Wedding receptions at the GAM.

I used to go there all the time as a kid. I loved it... It was a special family treat to go and spend the day, ride the rides, swim, and then finish the day with fireworks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a teen and college kid, loved Misquamicut. For reasons that I can't explain, 4 of my college friends were from Stonington (Pawcatuck), providing easy access and a place to stay. As a male at that age, you couldn't beat the scenery, plus a fun evening bar scene.

Now my favorites are Old Silver in North Falmouth, Chapin and Mayflower in Dennis. Old Silver is clean, fairly warm, has gorgeous sunsets because it faces west. Good for swimming. Chapin is wild and unspoiled, you walk a mile or so out at low tide and set down your chair and cooler. Huge open spaces and nicer sand than the Brewster flats.

Non Local: Hunting Island State Beach in SC is very nice. A fair bit of Apocalypse Now was filmed there. Santa Cruz beach boardwalk is fun, water is as warm as Monterey Bay gets (not very).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As a teen and college kid, loved Misquamicut. For reasons that I can't explain, 4 of my college friends were from Stonington (Pawcatuck), providing easy access and a place to stay. As a male at that age, you couldn't beat the scenery, plus a fun evening bar scene.
You're lucky you had a place to stay nearby. I shudder now to think about the stage of intoxication we must have been in when we used to blow off high school, grab a few cases of Piels (or a 1/4 keg) and do a day trip to Misquamicut and back. The waves and scenery were definitely the attraction, but more often than not the journey was the destination, as we'd frequently just plunk our drunk selves down and pass out in the sun, wake up lobstered and then drive home.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
did sumone say squamy?
640px-Wave_breaking_at_Misquamicut_Beach%2C_RI.JPG

early in the morning we'll hit 95,
sum honeys will be coming along.
we're loadin up the denali with the boards and stuff,
headin out singing our song.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online