Top 75 players in NCAA Tournament history | The Boneyard

Top 75 players in NCAA Tournament history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone loves lists. So to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Final Four Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News ranked the top 75 players in NCAA Tournament history. Obviously there could be a lot of debate over this.

UConn players:

28. Kemba Walker
48. Rip Hamilton
53. Emeka Okafor

Top 75 players in NCAA Tournament history

Reaction Score
What are DeCourcy's criteria? Hard to believe that there are 27 kids players who have had better NCAA Tourney's than Kembas.

Reaction Score
Probably the only list ever that will have Tyler Hansbrough above Michael Jordan.

Reaction Score
If it was an assessment of just one year, Kemba would be much higher. He was phenomenal in the Mizzou game, but otherwise pretty quiet in 2009. No tournament in 2010 hurts.

Reaction Score
What are DeCourcy's criteria? Hard to believe that there are 27 kids players who have had better NCAA Tourney's than Kembas.
The rankings specifically regard how the players performed in the NCAAs, and the “nominees” come entirely from the NCAA’s list, which was compiled by the NCAA’s basketball and statistics staffs, in consultation with the organization’s media partners and select members of the United States Basketball Writers Association.

Remember that Kemba played in only 2 NCAA Tournaments. In the 2009 tournament he was a reserve off the bench. He had that awesome game against Missouri but other than that he wasn't dominant in 2009.

caw

Reaction Score
It's not a horrible list. I do think he overrates Melo and Davis. I wouldn't put either higher than Walker, mostly because they were both one and dones.

Shelvin Mack ahead of Okafor is also kind of a joke.

Reaction Score
Kemba's last 3 games in the 2011 weren't that great. Not trying to undersell what he did for the team but he wasn't exceptional in those games, he kind of leveled off after the SDSU game.

Reaction Score
If it was an assessment of just one year, Kemba would be much higher. He was phenomenal in the Mizzou game, but otherwise pretty quiet in 2009. No tournament in 2010 hurts.
I wish I saw your post before posting mine. I was in the middle of composing mine when you posted yours.

Reaction Score
Kemba's last 3 games in the 2011 weren't that great. Not trying to undersell what he did for the team but he wasn't exceptional in those games, he kind of leveled off after the SDSU game.

he was phenomenal, IMO. He was all over the court, flying everywhere, blocking shots, creating steals, saving balls from going out of bounds. He was a one man whirlgig. His shooting % may not have been high (whose was? No one's, on either team) but the guy put on a superman cape.

Reaction Score
Christian Laetner and Hansbourough above Corliss Williamson, Arkansas and Larry Johnson, UNLV, no way! Those 2 at power forward would have broken both their noses on one play. Also Patrick Ewing under Laetner is a joke. Ewing was a bad ass all the way! Kemba's one notable playoff year to be ranked 28th is a compliment when you think of all the players that ever played in the tourney. It recognizes one of the greatest tourney performances of all time. Unfortunately he didn't return to repeat which easily would have put him in the top 10. Jabbar was unstoppable by the way, for you young uns.

Reaction Score
he was phenomenal, IMO. He was all over the court, flying everywhere, blocking shots, creating steals, saving balls from going out of bounds. He was a one man whirlgig. His shooting % may not have been high (whose was? No one's, on either team) but the guy put on a superman cape.

Yea to be honest I was just factoring in his scoring/shooting and not counting in everything else he did, like as you said his defense and hustle plays. Factoring in the overall package I should probably recant my statement.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Where's Ben Gordon? How is Jordan in the 30's? Wheres Edney or O'Bannon? Why does it look like they took the winners of the last 75 tourneys and picked a prominent player (except that mid 90's UCLA team)?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The beauty & awesomeness of Kemba's 2011 NCAA tourny run isn't aptly captured unless you include his BE Tourney MVP run as well. That run tops many NCAA tourny runs teams have had over the years. Including those 5 wins in 5 days IMO make Kemba's post-season run #1 of all time!

Reaction Score
lol, I didn't even realize he went for 33 in the Cincy game, yea I look even dumber now.

I said this at the time (in the aftermath of the title, I mean), but I thought the Cincy game was THE signature game of his career.

Remember the talk about Bucknell being a possible upset because we were tired from the Big East run? We won by 40, so everyone dismissed the concept (as an aside, Bucknell frankly put in a great game plan to stop Kemba from scoring, but he kept kicking it out to people for wide open threes and Roscoe and J-Lamb kept burying them).

Well, the tired legs syndrome showed up against Cincy early on. We were flat, second to every loose ball, and getting pushed around. I think we were down 18-9, hanging on by dear life, and I thought we were toast, just looking at our body language (perhaps my innate pessimism had a hand in clouding my take a bit).

Well, Kemba sensed it and came out of a timeout looking like he chased down some uppers with a case of Red Bull. He was everywhere - nobody running with him? No problem. He'll just score on a 1-on-3 break. He willed us to that win - completely single-handedly willed us. I think he was the only guy in double figures for us.

He almost did himself one better against SDSU, but he hit a wall and needed Lamb to carry him over the finish line. Which is fine - that's why it's a team sport.

Reaction Score
I understand that list is always going to be absolutely dominated by players who made the final four but I would have loved to see Caron on there. In 2002 he averaged over 25 pts a game and scored 32 in almost beating the eventual champs by himself. I remember Jay Bilas saying that year that if he had the #2 pick he'd take Butler after Jay Williams...then he slipped to 10. He's had either the 2nd or 3rd best career of those drafted in the first round that year depending on whether you put Yao ahead of him.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

There's many things that I love about this video. I get goosebumps. I will list them:

1. When Kemba hit the game-winning floater against Villanova. I was at a barbershop getting a haircut and the game was on. I was in the chair when he hit it and everyone went nuts. Never before had I been more scared in my life with two grown men jumping around with scissors near my face.

2. Obviously the game-winner vs. Pitt.

3. During the PTI audio-clip when Wilbon and Kornheiser talk about Kemba.

4. Charles Okwandu's pass at 1:56. Amazing.

5. On Senior Day when Kemba single-handily led a double-digit comeback against ND. The announcers and the crowd made it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
seeing where Melo and Davis are ranked, Kemba in good company

one magical run that never gets old

still makes me smile just thinking about it

Reaction Score
Not sure Davis should rank ahead of Kemba. He averaged 13 ppg in the tournament with a high of 18. Scored nine against Indiana and six against Kansas in the title game (1-10 shooting). But I suppose you could counter-argue that Kemba had his run as a junior and Davis in his lone season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom